Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By BreakingKayfabe
  • 1 Post By swarlos
  • 1 Post By AustinIllini
  • 1 Post By AustinIllini
  • 1 Post By metllicamilitia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    lmws214's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    165 Posts

    Default 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473504270.917577.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	893.1 KB 
ID:	111281
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Okay. Thanks.
  3. #3  
    badelhas's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,497 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by lmws214 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473504270.917577.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	893.1 KB 
ID:	111281
    I wonder if we seen any difference in performance
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by badelhas View Post
    I wonder if we seen any difference in performance
    If it performs as fast as the 9.7" iPad Pro then yes you will see a difference in performance.
    eyecrispy likes this.
  5. #5  
    BreakingKayfabe's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,947 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    I assume if it has extra RAM it's most likely for the camera and its image processing. Apple uses RAM on their devices a lot differently than other manufacturers.
    Tartarus likes this.
  6. #6  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by BreakingKayfabe View Post
    I assume if it has extra RAM it's most likely for the camera and its image processing. Apple uses RAM on their devices a lot differently than other manufacturers.
    I think it's also why the Plus gets depth of field for the camera in October, where the standard 7 will not.
  7. #7  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,937 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,502 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    It's pushing more pixels.
  8. #8  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,984 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,686 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by BreakingKayfabe View Post
    I assume if it has extra RAM it's most likely for the camera and its image processing. Apple uses RAM on their devices a lot differently than other manufacturers.
    Not putting 6GB of ram in a phone just for the sake of it.
    Tartarus likes this.
  9. #9  
    luc9488's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    It's pushing more pixels.
    Rene, you're saying that because it's capturing two photos @ 12MP each? Do you truly think the dual camera system is the main driver for the increase in RAM over the iPhone 7?

    I'm thinking this could be partly the reason for the increase but I also think they're trying to deifferentiate the iPhone 7 Plus from the iPhone 7 to push people into the higher priced phones to increase their average selling price per device.

    As the market for iPhone becomes further saturated and consumers increase their purchase cycle, that number becomes increasingly important.

    Thoughts?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by luc9488 View Post
    I'm thinking this could be partly the reason for the increase but I also think they're trying to deifferentiate the iPhone 7 Plus from the iPhone 7 to push people into the higher priced phones to increase their average selling price per device.
    I didn't even know there was more ram in the Plus when I preordered mine. Just saying.
  11. #11  
    AustinIllini's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    406 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by luc9488 View Post
    Rene, you're saying that because it's capturing two photos @ 12MP each? Do you truly think the dual camera system is the main driver for the increase in RAM over the iPhone 7?

    I'm thinking this could be partly the reason for the increase but I also think they're trying to deifferentiate the iPhone 7 Plus from the iPhone 7 to push people into the higher priced phones to increase their average selling price per device.

    As the market for iPhone becomes further saturated and consumers increase their purchase cycle, that number becomes increasingly important.

    Thoughts?
    I would disagree. Numbers matter in certain spheres, but not in the iPhone world to the same extend as say Android. iOS and its direct hardware/software design enable Apple engineers to better manage RAM usage, power, and fix things like memory leaks and prevent memory abuse. As a result, I would be surprised that most of the 3 GB of RAM in the iPhone 7 most of the time. The fact is, you want to build a device with the right amount of RAM, and for now, that number is probably around 2 to 3 GB. There's no prize for increasing RAM on an iOS device. It's like having a race between a marlin and a cheetah. They can both be fast but function completely differently.

    In short, "numbers" are no more valuable or useful than they were 5 years ago and they likely won't ever be a driving force in the market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    I didn't even know there was more ram in the Plus when I preordered mine. Just saying.
    The average user doesn't think of RAM at all.
    Tartarus likes this.
  12. #12  
    luc9488's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
    . There's no prize for increasing RAM on an iOS device.
    I disagree, 4GB in the iPad Pro 12.9" makes a huge difference in a number of areas of iOS. Have you seen this comparison video of the iPad Pro 9.7" vs the iPad Pro 12.9" showing the increase in Safari performance 4GB of RAM makes?



    Quote Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
    .The average user doesn't think of RAM at all.
    I would agree with this point, most people don't care about RAM at all but I think there are people out there that do and the increase in RAM is just another + for the iPhone 7 Plus in my books.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
    The average user doesn't think of RAM at all.
    This is true for most iPhone users but certainly not for Android users. They love their specs
  14. #14  
    ctt1wbw's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,688 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,994 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    It's pushing more pixels.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but God Almighty can you guys stop with the HTML popups? Mobile Nations is unbearable with the ads. I can't tolerate it anymore.
  15. #15  
    AustinIllini's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    406 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    This is true for most iPhone users but certainly not for Android users. They love their specs
    A majority of Android users don't care, either.

    At the same time, people who do care are quick to tout their RAM, but are fooled by actual speed.
    Tartarus likes this.
  16. #16  
    dpham00's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    24,675 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    If it performs as fast as the 9.7" iPad Pro then yes you will see a difference in performance.
    It is faster than the ipad pro
  17. #17  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,033 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,733 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by luc9488 View Post
    I disagree, 4GB in the iPad Pro 12.9" makes a huge difference in a number of areas of iOS. Have you seen this comparison video of the iPad Pro 9.7" vs the iPad Pro 12.9" showing the increase in Safari performance 4GB of RAM makes?





    I would agree with this point, most people don't care about RAM at all but I think there are people out there that do and the increase in RAM is just another + for the iPhone 7 Plus in my books.
    There are a few more differences between the iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2 than just RAM. Given the total differences and the average user, the iPad Air 2 in that video does quite well. I doubt most people will have 10+ open tabs in Safari anyway. And if you have to wait a second it for it load, oh no, Apple is doomed, Apple can't innovate, where are the specs? No one cares.
    dpham00 likes this.
  18. #18  
    dpham00's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    24,675 Global Posts

    Default Re: 7plus. 3GB Ram

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    There are a few more differences between the iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2 than just RAM. Given the total differences and the average user, the iPad Air 2 in that video does quite well. I doubt most people will have 10+ open tabs in Safari anyway. And if you have to wait a second it for it load, oh no, Apple is doomed, Apple can't innovate, where are the specs? No one cares.
    It is also worth to note that these are 20 tabs of highly intense sites. That's a lot,and yes the pro is better but I picked up the air 2 for $300 new a few months back and, I couldn't justify spending $800 for the pro 12.9. That's a huge price increase, not worth it for just browsing or basic stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. Any news about RAM??
    By iEsther in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-27-2016, 07:25 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2016, 02:44 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2016, 03:33 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 12:01 AM
  5. I want to buy a used IPad 2. How much ram is good? Mb?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions