7plus. 3GB Ram

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I assume if it has extra RAM it's most likely for the camera and its image processing. Apple uses RAM on their devices a lot differently than other manufacturers.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I assume if it has extra RAM it's most likely for the camera and its image processing. Apple uses RAM on their devices a lot differently than other manufacturers.

I think it's also why the Plus gets depth of field for the camera in October, where the standard 7 will not.

luc9488

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
It's pushing more pixels.

Rene, you're saying that because it's capturing two photos @ 12MP each? Do you truly think the dual camera system is the main driver for the increase in RAM over the iPhone 7?

I'm thinking this could be partly the reason for the increase but I also think they're trying to deifferentiate the iPhone 7 Plus from the iPhone 7 to push people into the higher priced phones to increase their average selling price per device.

As the market for iPhone becomes further saturated and consumers increase their purchase cycle, that number becomes increasingly important.

Thoughts?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking this could be partly the reason for the increase but I also think they're trying to deifferentiate the iPhone 7 Plus from the iPhone 7 to push people into the higher priced phones to increase their average selling price per device.

I didn't even know there was more ram in the Plus when I preordered mine. Just saying.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Rene, you're saying that because it's capturing two photos @ 12MP each? Do you truly think the dual camera system is the main driver for the increase in RAM over the iPhone 7?

As the market for iPhone becomes further saturated and consumers increase their purchase cycle, that number becomes increasingly important.

Thoughts?

I would disagree. Numbers matter in certain spheres, but not in the iPhone world to the same extend as say Android. iOS and its direct hardware/software design enable Apple engineers to better manage RAM usage, power, and fix things like memory leaks and prevent memory abuse. As a result, I would be surprised that most of the 3 GB of RAM in the iPhone 7 most of the time. The fact is, you want to build a device with the right amount of RAM, and for now, that number is probably around 2 to 3 GB. There's no prize for increasing RAM on an iOS device. It's like having a race between a marlin and a cheetah. They can both be fast but function completely differently.

In short, "numbers" are no more valuable or useful than they were 5 years ago and they likely won't ever be a driving force in the market.

I didn't even know there was more ram in the Plus when I preordered mine. Just saying.

The average user doesn't think of RAM at all.

luc9488

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
. There's no prize for increasing RAM on an iOS device.

I disagree, 4GB in the iPad Pro 12.9" makes a huge difference in a number of areas of iOS. Have you seen this comparison video of the iPad Pro 9.7" vs the iPad Pro 12.9" showing the increase in Safari performance 4GB of RAM makes?

https://youtu.be/fktEPrjxjwM

.The average user doesn't think of RAM at all.

I would agree with this point, most people don't care about RAM at all but I think there are people out there that do and the increase in RAM is just another + for the iPhone 7 Plus in my books.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, 4GB in the iPad Pro 12.9" makes a huge difference in a number of areas of iOS. Have you seen this comparison video of the iPad Pro 9.7" vs the iPad Pro 12.9" showing the increase in Safari performance 4GB of RAM makes?

https://youtu.be/fktEPrjxjwM

I would agree with this point, most people don't care about RAM at all but I think there are people out there that do and the increase in RAM is just another + for the iPhone 7 Plus in my books.

There are a few more differences between the iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2 than just RAM. Given the total differences and the average user, the iPad Air 2 in that video does quite well. I doubt most people will have 10+ open tabs in Safari anyway. And if you have to wait a second it for it load, oh no, Apple is doomed, Apple can't innovate, where are the specs? No one cares.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
There are a few more differences between the iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2 than just RAM. Given the total differences and the average user, the iPad Air 2 in that video does quite well. I doubt most people will have 10+ open tabs in Safari anyway. And if you have to wait a second it for it load, oh no, Apple is doomed, Apple can't innovate, where are the specs? No one cares.
It is also worth to note that these are 20 tabs of highly intense sites. That's a lot,and yes the pro is better but I picked up the air 2 for $300 new a few months back and, I couldn't justify spending $800 for the pro 12.9. That's a huge price increase, not worth it for just browsing or basic stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2