Note 7 refugees

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Waze benefit from Google's mapping dominance, though, as they are owned by them.

Friend of mine drives about 2-300+ miles a day for work, and he doesn't use Apple Maps. He says Google is more accurate and adjusts to traffic conditions better.

I completely disagree with your reply about the images on the iPhone 7 Plus camera. Good comparisons do exist, and the Note 7 is better in almost every way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seSJvwF68-0

The camera is not a reason to get an iPhone over a Samsung S7 [Edge] or Note 7, but rather the opposite.

I do agree with the person upthread who mentioned the disparity between iOS and Android versions of apps (often in iOS' favor). This is something I've noticed as well, and it's one of the biggest things I factor in when deciding which device to get. Some apps are missing key features on Android due to Fragmentation or the lack of standard APIs for these things.

Last edited:

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
App functionality is really the only reason I'm sticking with iPhone, even though I loved my experience with the Note. I also just received my Gear Fit 2 from the Note 7 promotion and I can't really use it until they come out with iOS compatibility. The watch is niiiiice.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
How does Apple maps compare to Google maps? It seems Google is trying to jam too much info about everything else on their mobile version that it becomes difficult just to narrow it down to what you want to look at. That aside, have no issues with most iterations of Samsung touchwiz. Though would think the overlay takes more power or juice than just a single streamlined op system. If anything, Samsung needs to work on their Tizen op system for the future. Have something truly proprietary.

Know you have had your issues with Samsung(Note 4 I think?) & the obvious media circus Note 7 battery. Though seems some of the cases the media is hammering out headlines for lately are not the fault of the Note 7 device or battery.
Point is, thinking a good majority of both Samsung & Apple devices can last with some care & definitely some luck. Neither company would have the market share they do if they were peddling junk annually.

I have a sales and service job and go on about 5 appointments per day that I use google maps or apple maps. I can say that google maps will put in the wrong place maybe twice a week and if you don't pay attention you just start driving because it just put a red pen wherever they think it is. Apple maps seems to be more accurate for finding addresses and I don't recall ever going to the wrong address. I do think google maps is more feature rich with different options and looks better as well.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Ultimately Apple's software is best for my sub par tech capabilities, lol: I can tell you just about anything you'll need to know about kinesiology and sports nutrition but put anything computerized in my hands and my IQ goes into the negative digits.

I cannot do Samsung I have tried and learned the hard way. If I ever go back to Android it will be with Nexus.
And the only reason to make me do that is unquestionably Apple's marketing nonsense and delivery failures.

A company with as much power and resources as Apple ought to do better.

Samsung does have an easy mode for those who want a simplistic use

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't Waze benefit from Google's mapping dominance, though, as they are owned by them.

Friend of mine drives about 2-300+ miles a day for work, and he doesn't use Apple Maps. He says Google is more accurate and adjusts to traffic conditions better.

I completely disagree with your reply about the images on the iPhone 7 Plus camera. Good comparisons do exist, and the Note 7 is better in almost every way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seSJvwF68-0

The camera is not a reason to get an iPhone over a Samsung S7 [Edge] or Note 7, but rather the opposite.

I do agree with the person upthread who mentioned the disparity between iOS and Android versions of apps (often in iOS' favor). This is something I've noticed as well, and it's one of the biggest things I factor in when deciding which device to get. Some apps are missing key features on Android due to Fragmentation or the lack of standard APIs for these things.

Waze doesn't really benefit that much at all to be honest, and google maps doesn't either. They had a highway closed pretty much all summer here and google maps tried to get me to drive down it every day. Waze recognized it was closed. But it's hard to find let's say a Starbucks if you're driving down the road with Waze and google finds it right away.

Also watching that video I still think besides the autofocus that the iPhone 7 plus camera / processing looks better. I never like the way Samsung did their colors. When that guy was taking pictures of himself it looked like he had makeup on almost. The outside shots, look at the wet sidewalk the note 7 it smoothed it out the iPhone 7 you could see detail. For me it's just my preference. I like colors that are natural, the small details like seeing the texture of plants and the cement. Samsung tends to wash some of that out and over saturate colors. Once again personal preference.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
How does Apple maps compare to Google maps? It seems Google is trying to jam too much info about everything else on their mobile version that it becomes difficult just to narrow it down to what you want to look at. That aside, have no issues with most iterations of Samsung touchwiz. Though would think the overlay takes more power or juice than just a single streamlined op system. If anything, Samsung needs to work on their Tizen op system for the future. Have something truly proprietary.

When I've personally used apple maps (which isn't a lot) it's worked well, but I've heard it's not as good as Google maps. I mainly use my car's Navigation system, which uses Google maps; and don't deal much with the phone.

I agree with you about the Samsung focusing on Tizen. I beleive that would be so much better, and benefit all consumers having another option.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
afa5e16e4133890d70d8884a8e7ad6b7.jpg

Another note 7 caught on fire...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's a troll post, but it's funny nonetheless.

As long as they have checked/safe phones available when I decide to pull the trigger, I couldn't care less how botched the launch was - assuming I decide to go that route.

It's like not getting an iPhone because of AntennaGate.

I'm just seeing how much I actually feel I need the few iOS apps I need, and if I really need them on the phone I carry around with me everywhere. I can always keep an iPhone 6 Plus on the side just for that purpose, and use it at the training facility when I need to.

So I'm leaning towards Note 7 for the better camera and expandable storage + cheaper (and more accessible) content ecosystem; the latter of which is my primary reason for switching back. Things cost too much in Apple's content stores compared to Google and the likes, and the content is too "locked down" to certain device types.

I still have an HTC One M8 on Marshmallow, so much of that I can look into over the next few weeks.

chrgnthru

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I officially cancelled my Preorder today, hard decision that took me right to the wire. But, when I had the Note 7 it was just a amazing device plus I have a iPad Pro so....

paul87russell

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Good luck to ya. Still haven't decided between the Note 7 or the iPhone 7 plus.

Posted via the Note 5 or iPhone 6s Plus

IMHO, You have to hold the Note 7 to be able to appreciate it more. It's a solid piece of work (except for the battery recall problem) The display is just stunning and the camera is superb. Base on reviews coming out right now, the iphone 7 plus is on par with the note 7 but the images snapped by the Note was a bit better.

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well my battery life officially sucks on my replacement Note 7. I'm thinking since I basically repurchased it I still have a 14 day return period. Hoping to take it back today and hunt down a 7 plus as they seem to be popping up in more apple stores lately. Got to play with one for an extended time yesterday and was very impressed and some of the camera shots I've seen are equally amazing as what I get from the Note.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 7 dual sim for one week before the battery problem exploded over the internet. It was nice to look at and hold in the hand. But the system still had lag and felt like Samsungs Android phones always feels. Nice hardware but the software is still not feeling ready for prime time. And the apps on Android always feel like some teenager designed them. The fingerprint reader is not used in many apps. After using Touch ID and that is is available in almost every app it feels like taking a step back when using Note in almost every way. Back on my iPhone 6s Plus now and waiting for the 7 Plus to arrive. The only thing I miss is the dual sim option and the look of the phone.

Last edited:

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
App functionality is really the only reason I'm sticking with iPhone, even though I loved my experience with the Note. I also just received my Gear Fit 2 from the Note 7 promotion and I can't really use it until they come out with iOS compatibility. The watch is niiiiice.

I think Samsung's close to releasing an update for iOS compatibility for the Gear Fit 2 and Gear S2. They had a beta till the 19th of September, so hopefully you'll be able to use that Gear Fit 2 with your iPhone sooner than later. Or else, sell it off on eBay! :)

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung's close to releasing an update for iOS compatibility for the Gear Fit 2 and Gear S2. They had a beta till the 19th of September, so hopefully you'll be able to use that Gear Fit 2 with your iPhone sooner than later. Or else, sell it off on eBay! :)

I know, I'm waited with baited breath! I heard that the beta program ended on the 19th, now it's a waiting game. I really like the Gear Fit 2 more than my Fitbit Blaze and I just want to start making full use of it!

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

If it's like Android wear,then it would be pretty underwhelming compared to usage on the note 7

badMojo69

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used Android watches and Samsung watches and man this Apple Watch blows them away.
Everything I want in a smartwatch is here and just works. Really makes Android Wear looks like a child's toy.

IOS is still a quirky to me, but so far so good.

tinybfk

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I got my iPhone 7 plus yesterday that I ordered last Friday. It's nice to have good battery life again even playing with it as much as I have been. I don't miss expandable storage since I got the 128gb 7 plus, and my note was 64 gb plus a Samsung pro+ 64gb card. I really dislike the size of the 7 plus though. The Note 7 had a bigger screen but smaller form factor that I really enjoyed. I forgot how much better a lot of the apps I use are on the iPhone and that a lot of them already worked with Touch ID that didn't work with the fingerprint sensor on android. I miss Samsung pay with the MSR. Apple Pay sucks, not many places around me accept it lol. My two lines currently consist of the 7 plus and a galaxy s7 edge right now. I think the note was a massive improvement over the S7 edge, all little things but they made a difference for sure. My note 7 also got much better battery life than my S7 edge, weird I know. But my iPhone 7 plus beats the Note 7 in battery life and I was one of the ones getting really good battery life on the Note. Usually just over 6 hours of SoT.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2