Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kataran
  • 3 Post By eyecrispy
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts

Default In Store Pickup

Good day everyone,

I am planning on preordering the 7 Plus, but do not know if I want to have it shipped to me or do an in store pickup at the Apple Store. I wanted to see what everyone else's experiences were with in store pickup on launch day. Were you able to just walk in and walk out? Did you have to wait in a long line? Any hiccups in purchasing at all? Any info would be appreciated.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: In Store Pickup

I been lucky enough to get the iphone 4, and 6 on launch day and picked them up in store. The experience is fun and as long as you have your phone pre ordered the process shouldn't take to long. But depending on where you live and what time of day you go on launch day could effect your wait time. For example, if you are going to the apple store in big city like New York then expect a lengthy wait time due to all the people that will be there.
    Last edited by shadowboxer8; 09-08-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Last year I had mine shipped to my home and that was a long day. UPS didn't show up until after 5 so waited all day. You can have it shipped to a store so that you can just pick it up there.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,942 Global Posts

Just get it shipped. There's still a freaking line to wait for people who are doing online pickups. It's ridiculous.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingKayfabe View Post
    Just get it shipped. There's still a freaking line to wait for people who are doing online pickups. It's ridiculous.
    I would do ship to home but someone has to be there to sign. I wouldn't be getting off work until noon next Friday and I fear the UPS delivery person will come before I get off work.
    Last edited by shadowboxer8; 09-08-2016 at 12:50 PM.

I like the store pickup it feels safer. That's what I did with my SE
    Frehley likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,341 Global Posts

I'm pre ordering for pickup at the store also. The last Iphone I bought was the 6 Plus. I pre-ordered through At&t but then found out on launch day, that I could get the model & size I wanted at the Apple store in the mall. I got there later after work and there was a line, but not crazy long. I may have waited 30 minutes.

What made it fast was the Apple workers. It was very organized.

My only concern is, while ordering I want to order some accessories such as the new watch. I'm hoping that once I add the phone to my cart, that it will be mine and not run out, while I shop for the other stuff. I know how fast stuff can run out on pre order day. I have all the stuff I want in my favorites, and wish I could just add it all at once to my cart for checkout.

It's hard for me to work from home to sign for the package, so I have been doing in store pick up with a reservation. In fact, I am thinking about pre-ordering both the matte and jet black and deciding which to keep when I get there.
    qnet, MzDee and jayk82 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,731 Global Posts

With store pickup, are you paying taxes from your home zip code or the store zip code?
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I am still torn but I think I will have it shipped to my house. The earliest I could get to the Apple Store would be around lunch time when everyone is there to buy. I will probably have it shipped and leave a note for the drive to leave it through my doggy door in the back.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

If you reserve for pick up in the store you get a time window to pick it up. If you don't check in within that window at the store then they could release your allocated stock to the walk ins
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,341 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alex.shimp View Post
    If you reserve for pick up in the store you get a time window to pick it up. If you don't check in within that window at the store then they could release your allocated stock to the walk ins
    Yes, but isn't that only if it's ordered on launch day? If it's pre-ordered, and I want to pick it up at the store, it shouldn't be that short of a time window, because it's already paid for and ordered. My understanding is it will be there for pickup that day or the next. I know there is a window, even when ordering normally, but I don't think it's that short; were someone else could grab it that same day.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

When I pre ordered my 6s plus I picked in store pick up, it gave me a options for a an hour block of time and it didn't have me pre pay. I paid for the device upon pickup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region capture 7.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	111185

Name:	Region capture 8.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	111186
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,341 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alex.shimp View Post
    When I pre ordered my 6s plus I picked in store pick up, it gave me a options for a an hour block of time and it didn't have me pre pay. I paid for the device upon pickup.

Name:	Region capture 7.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	111185

Name:	Region capture 8.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	111186
    Wow, I don't like that. When you make the reservation due they give you a wide selection of times, like more in the evening? If it's just in the morning that makes ordering to pick up useless for me. My whole point of pre-ordering and picking up at store, is so that I can go get it after work. In my city, the place where I can pick it up is about 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic, and it could be even more. An hour window is too short of a time.

The apple store that I want to pick it up at has a long call wait time. It must be a lot of people calling to ask questions. I may just have it shipped, and try to get Fedex to hold it at a location of my choice. I've done that before, but never for an Iphone launch.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

I don't remember what all times they had I picked the first time slot
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    I'm pre ordering for pickup at the store also. The last Iphone I bought was the 6 Plus. I pre-ordered through At&t but then found out on launch day, that I could get the model & size I wanted at the Apple store in the mall. I got there later after work and there was a line, but not crazy long. I may have waited 30 minutes.

What made it fast was the Apple workers. It was very organized.

My only concern is, while ordering I want to order some accessories such as the new watch. I'm hoping that once I add the phone to my cart, that it will be mine and not run out, while I shop for the other stuff. I know how fast stuff can run out on pre order day. I have all the stuff I want in my favorites, and wish I could just add it all at once to my cart for checkout.
    I thought about that also. I'm planning on just going for the iPhone in the morning. The accessories are far less likely to sell out so you can order them after. When you go to the store, just tell them you have 2 orders 😀
    iMore Intermediate

I ended up selecting in store pick up. I would've preferred to ship but didn't have the option of changing the shipping address it would only go to my address on record with AT&T and since I have to work so I can pay for the phone I selected the 8-830 am pickup.

Also one year when I did do shipping the ups man took all day to deliver it...usually he comes early but it just felt like I was being tortured waiting for it!