What cases are you using on your iPhone 7 Plus?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I accidentally got a $15 Amazon credit. I placed my order on Wednesday with the assumption that 2-Day shipping would have it delivered by Saturday at the latest. However it appears everything will be delivered Monday when I'm not here. I sent an email to Amazon asking how 2-Day shipping equates to 4 business days. They gave me a $15 credit, makes the Element case hard to resist now.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I accidentally got a $15 Amazon credit. I placed my order on Wednesday with the assumption that 2-Day shipping would have it delivered by Saturday at the latest. However it appears everything will be delivered Monday when I'm not here. I sent an email to Amazon asking how 2-Day shipping equates to 4 business days. They gave me a $15 credit, makes the Element case hard to resist now.

What Element are going to get?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok ok, I'll give you all a teaser on the Monarch review. The preface, addressing the marketing fluff and what exactly the Monarch actually offers.

Preface
If you’ve never heard the phrase marketing fluff, or anything similar, you’re about to know what it is. The Urban Armor Gear Monarch is the embodiment of that phrase. So what is marketing fluff? It’s when a company says a lot of fancy things about their product in order to sell it, bonus points if it’s marked up like the Monarch is. The Urban Armor Gear Monarch is marketed as having five “layers” of protection. What this actually means though is that the case is made from four different materials and has a few tiny screws in it. Yes, the screws are counted as a “layer” of protection. The other four layers being the frame, the leather, the polycarbonate plate, and the rubber. All of these materials are part of a single body which means they aren’t layers. If these were actually all layers the drop protection would probably be much better.

Speaking of the drop protection…2x Military Standard. Amazing right? Wrong, sort of. It is still technically 2x Military Standard, depending on how you view that. To understand this you need to understand the Military Standard, 810G is what you’ll usually see and this encompasses many many different tests. Urban Armor Gear on the other hand tells you specifically which test, 516.6 in fact, which has to do with shock. So what is Military Standard 810G-516.6? Basically the requirements are that you can drop your phone from between four and half feet and 6 feet onto a piece of plywood on top of concrete for a total of 26 times. Standards are loose as well, multiple devices can be dropped to meet the requirement. 2x Military Standard though, that means nine foot to twelve foot drops right? Wrong. Urban Armor Gear’s definition of 2x Military Standard is that you can drop your phone in the Monarch from four and half feet to six feet onto a piece of plywood on top of concrete for not 26 drops, but 52 drops. You get twice as many drops at the same height.

So does the Monarch really have five “layers” of protection? Not really. Does it really have 2x Military Standard ratings? Technically, if you consider double the amount of drops the case can handle to be 2x the standard, then yes. Otherwise no, this is still just an average every day case to handle every day drops. It can just handle them longer than the competitors.

EDIT: The last paragraph didn't make it, here it is.

So does the Monarch really have five “layers” of protection? Not really. Does it really have 2x Military Standard ratings? Technically, if you consider double the amount of drops the case can handle to be 2x the standard, then yes. Otherwise no, this is still just an average every day case to handle every day drops. It can just handle them longer than the competitors.

Last edited:

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...970&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/232136905201

Ordered me another one of these. Really like it for some reason. Ran across it in the "box" 🤷🏼*♂️

e94f46db68dba50ab69bc51aee18249f.jpg

Also ran across a bunch of "cheapies" I've her to even open yet lol

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok ok, I'll give you all a teaser on the Monarch review. The preface, addressing the marketing fluff and what exactly the Monarch actually offers.

Preface
If you’ve never heard the phrase marketing fluff, or anything similar, you’re about to know what it is. The Urban Armor Gear Monarch is the embodiment of that phrase. So what is marketing fluff? It’s when a company says a lot of fancy things about their product in order to sell it, bonus points if it’s marked up like the Monarch is. The Urban Armor Gear Monarch is marketed as having five “layers” of protection. What this actually means though is that the case is made from four different materials and has a few tiny screws in it. Yes, the screws are counted as a “layer” of protection. The other four layers being the frame, the leather, the polycarbonate plate, and the rubber. All of these materials are part of a single body which means they aren’t layers. If these were actually all layers the drop protection would probably be much better.

Speaking of the drop protection…2x Military Standard. Amazing right? Wrong, sort of. It is still technically 2x Military Standard, depending on how you view that. To understand this you need to understand the Military Standard, 810G is what you’ll usually see and this encompasses many many different tests. Urban Armor Gear on the other hand tells you specifically which test, 516.6 in fact, which has to do with shock. So what is Military Standard 810G-516.6? Basically the requirements are that you can drop your phone from between four and half feet and 6 feet onto a piece of plywood on top of concrete for a total of 26 times. Standards are loose as well, multiple devices can be dropped to meet the requirement. 2x Military Standard though, that means nine foot to twelve foot drops right? Wrong. Urban Armor Gear’s definition of 2x Military Standard is that you can drop your phone in the Monarch from four and half feet to six feet onto a piece of plywood on top of concrete for not 26 drops, but 52 drops. You get twice as many drops at the same height.

This review of this case is spot-on. I was wondering what kind of BS UAG was telling me when I dropped $60 on this case. I love how it looks and all, but the marketing fluff about the case is pretty irritating and a little dishonest.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This review of this case is spot-on. I was wondering what kind of BS UAG was telling me when I dropped $60 on this case. I love how it looks and all, but the marketing fluff about the case is pretty irritating and a little dishonest.

I wouldn't call it dishonest exactly. Five layers is pushing it, I could see four since the materials are somewhat stacked. And you could technically argue 2x Military Standard protection. It's just what you get may not be what you were expecting. I'll have my full review up before the end of the weekend and I'll link it in this thread. The marketing fluff really is the worst part about the Monarch.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have never bought a UAG monarch as they are double the UAG plasmas price here. When they come out the reviews were the screws rattled they must of fixed that. The metropolis is the only UAG I have had that is not greasy and a finger print magnet.
Anyway my weekend dollars went on a new Black Nike watch, my first Apple Watch.

ericrangel76

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So no comments on the Scarf case?

I have a Peel case that a customer gave me that I really like. There is absolutely no drop protection but I really like how it feels like there is no case on your phone. Personally I feel the Peel cases are overpriced. I did order two Tozo cases in jet black and matte black that are similar to the Peel cases. I should receive them later on today. I'll post pics later.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

Preface

I actually believe their Plasma series is more robust than the Monarch. Don't forget about that 10 year warranty with the Monarch. :rolleyes: I'll be watching for the review.

Last edited: