What cases are you using on your iPhone 7 Plus?

travis4380

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm using the Case-mate naked tough clear case. Looking for something more robust even though they claim military strength impact protection.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Aw man....my VRS case is delayed. They said estimated 11/30 delivery, I saw online for 12/5 estimated delivery yesterday, and today I received an email saying my case won't ship until 12/5. Well hopefully it'll still be waiting for me when I return home.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 7 Plus Case, Ringke [Frame] Dual Layered TPU + PC Bumper [Drop Protection] Clear Back Shock Absorption Fluid Curved Edge Enhance Protective Bumper for Apple iPhone 7 Plus 2016 - SF Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IA9K8P...st; anyone tried any of their iPhone 7 stuff?

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried their Onyx and Maxx cases. Both very solid cases with great price tags. The Onyx is my favorite one out Of the lineup.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Lifeproof FRE Review the First 24 Hours in Wylie's Hot Little Hand

I ordered the asphalt black Lifeproof FRE on the 23rd from BestBuy.com for $39.99, and received it on the 29th (holidays and all). The packaging is the typical Lifeproof packaging with the flip cover to view it. The case was packaged face down with the extra stickers and cloth, and the first thing I promptly did was touch all over the inside of the screen protector when trying to unbox it. The newest thing in the box was the "pry key" to open the case without damaging it...supposedly. Haven't tried it out yet.

The back of the case came scratched to the right of the L, just like felloffthetruck. No biggie to me. I used the sticker on the inside of the back plate to "tape" the screen of my phone, and taped the inside of the case with scotch tape because I was attracting every fuzzy in the land trying to get it in the case. On previous LP's I noticed it was a really tight fit initially putting the phone in the front plate, but this time around it seems snug, but not as snug as before and I was able to pop the phone out before putting the back plate on with no issues or resistance. Finally got the phone in with one rogue tiny fuzzy on the inside of the screen. Unlike others I didn't notice a huge or serious gap between the screen protector and the phone. I have owned a ton of LP cases and I think I kind of knew what to expect.

First impressions in the first 24 hours are that yes, the screen is kind of grainy with the protector on it, but it doesn't bother me to the point of annoyance. The grainy screen is apparently a big complaint...but it doesn't affect your ability to view the screen, but it won't be as pretty as you like. If you've registered for the warranty you can get it replaced because LP swears up and down that the screen protector isn't supposed to be like that, but the screen protectors have been like that since the cases first came out, not on them all but a good deal of them. My screen protector doesn't have a big gap, this gap usually bothers me in the bottom row of the keyboard or the tray on the home screen and I've so far had no issues and can thumb wrestle my phone until the cows come home with no apparent issues. And the question you're all burning to know the answer to, yes, there are Newton rings aka oil slicks under the screen, but they don't affect the phone when the screen is on. If you like LP, then you know the rings are coming and you can either let it bother you, or you can just let it slide. I didn't pay full price for the case, so it's a con I can live with (and have lived with when I don't rock a NUUD). Finally, yes, that tissue thin membrane on the home button is kind of meh to look at, but it doesn't degrade the haptic engine or Touch ID one dang bit. The first time you use the membrane it becomes, for lack of a better word, stuck to the home button, which is similar to previous LP's made for iPhones with Touch ID. Again, it doesn't bother me because it works very well, it does its job and as long as it holds out and you're not gouging it with mile long finger nails or applying undo force I think it'll hold up quite nicely.

The case is the thinnest LP I've ever had. I usually use a slightly bulkier NUUD. With the elimination of the headphone jack they thinned the case down and added two ports to funnel sound out of the phone speaker to the front bottom of the case on either side of the charging port. For me it doesn't seem like it's too much of a sacrifice on the sound part. There's still the bass vibration at the back of the case as well. I personally like it. The buttons and volume switch are pretty stiff, but I'm sure once I use the case more they'll loosen up and be more tactile. The front and back camera didn't suffer any loss of clarity. The camera hump on the back is going to be millimeters bigger because of the actual hump on the phone, but I haven't noticed any grainy pics or any difference in the front facing camera so, for me, LP knocked the camera part out of the park. The charging port hatch is the same old charging port hatch. You'll probably have to use OEM charging cables or charging cables that are similar in size to the OEM lightning chargers.

In the words of Flossy Carter, the phone feels great in hand. I've always liked the texture of the back plate, and the raised lip around the edge of the back. For a giant phone the case doesn't add a lot of bulk, especially since they slimmed it down even more. I haven't taken the phone out of the case. I haven't taken any phone calls yet, but turned off the noise reduction on my actual phone per Lifeproof's suggestion in case I do end up getting a phone call. Turning off the noise reduction supposedly axes the muffled, dungeon sounding feedback on the caller's side, so we will see what happens. I noticed my voicemail I received today was kind of quiet, but I think it actually was the person calling being quiet and not the actual phone call itself. My other voicemails sounded fine. Once I decide to actually socialize and answer a phone call or make one I'll give some feedback on how goes!

Cheers!

Great review. That's been my experience with the Fre in the last 24 hours, except my case didn't have any scratches on it. I've made peace with the fact that there'll be oil slicks on the screen and that the the screen will look grainy because of the case. Those flaws are worth it for the added protection from water and dirt.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Just won another damn case on eBay, a Tech21 Active folio. I have three cases now that aren't even here yet. Please stop me!

You have to post photos of that folio. I want a folio case and I can't decide on three different ones. At this point, I might buy all 3. They are different colors with different styling. Two has card holders and one doesn't. I like both brown and black.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
You have to post photos of that folio. I want a folio case and I can't decide on three different ones. At this point, I might buy all 3. They are different colors with different styling. Two has card holders and one doesn't. I like both brown and black.

I will.

Also inadvertently bought a Speck Presidio Clear on eBay last night. Thought for sure I'd be outbid. Oh well.

4R69l

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Great review. That's been my experience with the Fre in the last 24 hours, except my case didn't have any scratches on it. I've made peace with the fact that there'll be oil slicks on the screen and that the the screen will look grainy because of the case. Those flaws are worth it for the added protection from water and dirt.

Try it with a tempered glass screen protector you won't see oil slicks and the grainy screen at all.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My IGLASS case arrived today along with a glass screen protector....
534ca3eec3ba4e5037dc229384caea07.jpg

f19e8c1d591068599bdac70ab13e4603.jpg

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Lifeproof FRE Review the First 24 Hours in Wylie's Hot Little Hand

I ordered the asphalt black Lifeproof FRE on the 23rd from BestBuy.com for $39.99, and received it on the 29th (holidays and all). The packaging is the typical Lifeproof packaging with the flip cover to view it. The case was packaged face down with the extra stickers and cloth, and the first thing I promptly did was touch all over the inside of the screen protector when trying to unbox it. The newest thing in the box was the "pry key" to open the case without damaging it...supposedly. Haven't tried it out yet.

The back of the case came scratched to the right of the L, just like felloffthetruck. No biggie to me. I used the sticker on the inside of the back plate to "tape" the screen of my phone, and taped the inside of the case with scotch tape because I was attracting every fuzzy in the land trying to get it in the case. On previous LP's I noticed it was a really tight fit initially putting the phone in the front plate, but this time around it seems snug, but not as snug as before and I was able to pop the phone out before putting the back plate on with no issues or resistance. Finally got the phone in with one rogue tiny fuzzy on the inside of the screen. Unlike others I didn't notice a huge or serious gap between the screen protector and the phone. I have owned a ton of LP cases and I think I kind of knew what to expect.

First impressions in the first 24 hours are that yes, the screen is kind of grainy with the protector on it, but it doesn't bother me to the point of annoyance. The grainy screen is apparently a big complaint...but it doesn't affect your ability to view the screen, but it won't be as pretty as you like. If you've registered for the warranty you can get it replaced because LP swears up and down that the screen protector isn't supposed to be like that, but the screen protectors have been like that since the cases first came out, not on them all but a good deal of them. My screen protector doesn't have a big gap, this gap usually bothers me in the bottom row of the keyboard or the tray on the home screen and I've so far had no issues and can thumb wrestle my phone until the cows come home with no apparent issues. And the question you're all burning to know the answer to, yes, there are Newton rings aka oil slicks under the screen, but they don't affect the phone when the screen is on. If you like LP, then you know the rings are coming and you can either let it bother you, or you can just let it slide. I didn't pay full price for the case, so it's a con I can live with (and have lived with when I don't rock a NUUD). Finally, yes, that tissue thin membrane on the home button is kind of meh to look at, but it doesn't degrade the haptic engine or Touch ID one dang bit. The first time you use the membrane it becomes, for lack of a better word, stuck to the home button, which is similar to previous LP's made for iPhones with Touch ID. Again, it doesn't bother me because it works very well, it does its job and as long as it holds out and you're not gouging it with mile long finger nails or applying undo force I think it'll hold up quite nicely.

The case is the thinnest LP I've ever had. I usually use a slightly bulkier NUUD. With the elimination of the headphone jack they thinned the case down and added two ports to funnel sound out of the phone speaker to the front bottom of the case on either side of the charging port. For me it doesn't seem like it's too much of a sacrifice on the sound part. There's still the bass vibration at the back of the case as well. I personally like it. The buttons and volume switch are pretty stiff, but I'm sure once I use the case more they'll loosen up and be more tactile. The front and back camera didn't suffer any loss of clarity. The camera hump on the back is going to be millimeters bigger because of the actual hump on the phone, but I haven't noticed any grainy pics or any difference in the front facing camera so, for me, LP knocked the camera part out of the park. The charging port hatch is the same old charging port hatch. You'll probably have to use OEM charging cables or charging cables that are similar in size to the OEM lightning chargers.

In the words of Flossy Carter, the phone feels great in hand. I've always liked the texture of the back plate, and the raised lip around the edge of the back. For a giant phone the case doesn't add a lot of bulk, especially since they slimmed it down even more. I haven't taken the phone out of the case. I haven't taken any phone calls yet, but turned off the noise reduction on my actual phone per Lifeproof's suggestion in case I do end up getting a phone call. Turning off the noise reduction supposedly axes the muffled, dungeon sounding feedback on the caller's side, so we will see what happens. I noticed my voicemail I received today was kind of quiet, but I think it actually was the person calling being quiet and not the actual phone call itself. My other voicemails sounded fine. Once I decide to actually socialize and answer a phone call or make one I'll give some feedback on how goes!

Cheers!

Awesome review really makes me feel better about getting one. One quick question though maybe u'll be able to help me out with. I noticed on older LP cases the backs pushed into the phone pretty hard. I have the jet black plus since it is more prone to scratches would u think the case would end up scratching it?

4R69l

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Awesome review really makes me feel better about getting one. One quick question though maybe u'll be able to help me out with. I noticed on older LP cases the backs pushed into the phone pretty hard. I have the jet black plus since it is more prone to scratches would u think the case would end up scratching it?
I have a zagg tempered glass screen protector on the front and back of mines with the LP case on it as well.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

There is nothing soft about the back shell of the LifeProof case at all. With all those hard plastic ridges hitting the back of the phone, I'm worried that it will damage my matte black over time. I would really be worried about the Jet Black in this particular case.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods