water resistant vs water proof

velvetelvis

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
so which is it? if i drop in the toilet (i have never done this) will it live? if it drops into pool, will it survive? we know the s7 and s7edge will. the note 7 will, but you may do it on purpose to put the fire out. sorry, couldn't resist.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Very few things, regardless of industry, are actually water "proof". Water resistance is a much easier technology to successfully implement and tends to confuse the average consumer as to the definition of it because they just assume "I guess if they say water resistant, that means water can't hurt it!". And the truth is, in most scenarios, they are fine thinking that, but it certainly doesn't make it water "proof", as true water proofing would yield a very different looking device that would also cost a significant amount more money than modern smart phones cost today.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Water resistant isn't the same as water proof, water proof means there is no way water can mess it up but water resistant means it has limits.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It should protect a quick accidentally dip into shallow water. I wouldn't count on much past that. Still better than previous iPhones. Hopefully next year we get better water protection.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
The IP67 resistance rating is actually rather robust when it comes to what the iPhone is resistant to. It translates to 1 meter (or approx. 3 feet) of depth for a period of 30 minutes. That is significant considering the kinds of things you might actually find yourself accidentally exposing the device to (rain, spilled drinks, pool water, a shower/bath, toilet, etc). It is really going to save a lot of people some headache vs. what the iPhone was historically in terms of water resistance.

The nice thing is, this is a product wide addition, and not some gimmick option like Samsung has tried to push on the market for so many years with their "Active" line. You have to appreciate the fact that Apple simply decided to make it a part of their entire new gen smart phone and watch line up, and not have an iPhone "Active" model.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The IP67 resistance rating is actually rather robust when it comes to what the iPhone is resistant to. It translates to 1 meter (or approx. 3 feet) of depth for a period of 30 minutes. That is significant considering the kinds of things you might actually find yourself accidentally exposing the device to (rain, spilled drinks, pool water, a shower/bath, toilet, etc). It is really going to save a lot of people some headache vs. what the iPhone was historically in terms of water resistance.

The nice thing is, this is a product wide addition, and not some gimmick option like Samsung has tried to push on the market for so many years with their "Active" line. You have to appreciate the fact that Apple simply decided to make it a part of their entire new gen smart phone and watch line up, and not have an iPhone "Active" model.

Nice ! So fall in pool you are ok ! Fall in toilet you are ok except the germs lol

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Nice ! So fall in pool you are ok ! Fall in toilet you are ok except the germs lol

My curiosity gets peaked with what certain companies have warned about historically though with chemicals sometimes degrading a water resistant devices ability to do such. I remember reading an article some time ago about a marine radio's water resistant casing and how salt water or even chemicals within certain waters (especially a pool I would guess) can actually pose a risk of degrading water "proofing". I don't have any experience with Samsung phones really, but I'm curious how their "active" line has held up, given it has been on the market for some time now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2