Let's talk cameras

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]The iPhone 7 keeps the 12-megapixel camera, but adds a larger aperture. Along with optical image stabilization that keeps images steadier. But the iPhone 7 Plus gets a second, 56mm telephoto lens w/ built-in zoom feature. I can't wait to see what I can do with this thing!!!!

[/FONT]

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Before anyone asks, the camera on the 7 Plus isn't optical zoom. It's a dual-camera system that switches from one camera to the other. Other than that, I think it's going to be a really great camera.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's 2x optical zoom. The fact they're using the second, wide angle, camera doesn't change that fact. However, more than 2x zoom will be software zoom.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
It's 2x mechanized optical zoom and then the rest is handled like it has been for years with software zoom (which has, over the years, proven to be an almost useless feature in regards to legitimate photography standards as it works so inefficiently and renders the photos so terribly after the software has zoomed in even at a moderate range).

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone was always capable of decent photos, I'm excited to see what I can do with the 7 Plus cameras. For example, I touched this one up a bit last night, taken with a 6S.

ca5841a9ed8e3c752ec7726e895b4f90.jpg

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
...with all this camera talk, it sounds like soon I won't need my Nikon D5000!

Depends on what you plan to do with your pics. Internet posting? Sure, they'll look fine. Want to print them, especially on larger paper? You'll still want that D5000 with the much larger sensor in it.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's 2x optical zoom

It's not optical zoom, it switches cameras. That is why it goes straight from 1x to 2x and there is no in-between, while there are fractions between 2x and 6x, for example. There is no in between, because the phone doesn't zoom at all on the main camera of the 7 Plus. It throws you immediately to a different camera, which, due to the design of the lens, has a naturally "zoomed in" view.

That's not optical zoom. It's simply camera switching. Any phone with two cameras can do that, and anyone with a camera and multiple lenses can do that by simply switching to a longer lens ;-)

There are phones with real optical zoom, like those Galaxy S Zoom devices Samsung released in the past, but I don't think that's something most people would want to carry around :p

Honestly, I'd rather a much larger single sensor and algorithms for pixel bundling, etc. to produce higher quality photos, similar to what Nokia did on PureView Phone. Also, better microphones and sound for video.

---

And that picture linked a few posts after this one looks absolutely awful and unnatural.

But I guess that's why Samsung cameras phones are considered "tops" now. People really do seem to prefer oversaturated, unnatural smartphone photos. They'll even take photos from a camera that produces more "natural" tones and make them look like they were shot with a defective Galaxy S7.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Good point. I was merely messing around, too ;)

Depends on what you plan to do with your pics. Internet posting? Sure, they'll look fine. Want to print them, especially on larger paper? You'll still want that D5000 with the much larger sensor in it.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
It's not optical zoom, it switches cameras.

Actually, by definition it is specifically optical zoom, because it is using optics to achieve such. It doesn't matter which lens does it or whether either of them are moving, if it's using optics to achieve it, it is most certainly optical zoom via telephoto lens.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually, by definition it is specifically optical zoom, because it is using optics to achieve such. It doesn't matter which lens does it or whether either of them are moving, if it's using optics to achieve it, it is most certainly optical zoom via telephoto lens.

No. Lol

You have no idea what you're talking about, frankly.

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This is from CNET camera review.

"Optical zoom

Apple is a bit confusing on this point; it doesn't claim "2x optical zoom", and instead the specs are worded "optical zoom*at*2x" which is a subtlety lost on many people. I suppose technically the system could be construed as optical zoom: you have a lens for 28mm and a lens for 56mm, so you're getting two different magnifications using lenses. (And the*LG G5*got here first.) But "zoom" implies you get get from one to the other with stops in between; the only reason "zoom" may make sense in this context is because 56mm*is*the next step up from 28mm.

If the second camera had a 70mm lens, for instance, the jump from 28mm to 70mm wouldn't practically be optical zoom. In practice, it's bi-focal length. Multiple-camera systems can sometimes zoom between the two focal lengths computationally, but Apple's simply switching from one camera to the other with a tap and calling them 1x and 2x. TheHasselblad True Zoom Moto Mod for the Moto Z*is a true optical zoom solution, for example. Past 2x it will do 10x digital zoom, and you might get slightly better results than you do now with a wide-angle lens because you're starting with optical magnification on the 56mm camera."

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Optical zoom changes the magnification of images with the actual optical glass before the images reach the imaging sensor.

It's optical zoom if it remains on the same lens. All you're doing is switching to a different lens that's already established for a certain type of image.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
No. Lol

You have no idea what you're talking about, frankly.

Revisiting your own post above, does the iPhone 7 Plus not use a two lens system? One being a wide angle, and one being a telephoto lens? A telephoto lens is simply a magnified lens for the purpose of zooming in on objects at a distance with better detail. The secondary camera lens on the iPhone 7 Plus uses a different optical lens to achieve a zoom function of 2x, and the rest is done digitally as they have been using (poorly) for years.

Does the new iPhone 7 Plus have an adjustable ZOOM lens? No, it does not. It has a lens with a longer focal length to achieve a magnified (zoomed in) photo on a particular subject.

So feel free to explain how using a magnified optical lens isn't optical zoom again? Because, frankly, you're wrong.