Couragegate

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying sit down and take what they are giving you but I am saying it's a difference in voicing your opinion vs. crying and complaining.

The way I see it, I voiced my opinion and brought a slew of people crying and complaining that I and others had that opinion.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
345% above previous iPhone 6 and 6+ pre orders first 3-4 days by some carriers. Not bad... Not bad at all

That was for one carrier. A carrier that's offering unlimited data and 1/2 the cost. Of course they'll have high numbers, it's the end of contract this month for a lot of folks. Duh. Do you have AT&T and Verizon numbers? Of course not, because they suck and they are not giving them out. Kind of like Apple not giving them out either.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Wireless headphones are nothing new. They have been available for many years and work with pretty much any Bluetooth phone sold in the last decade. They are not necessarily expensive - check out these for EUR20: TIE Bluetooth 4.1 oordopjes kopen? | Bax-shop . They don't have to look like ear-tampons - Motorola sell these: https://www.amazon.de/VerveOnes-Wir...ag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2813459 .
And the great news is that they work with phones which *have* a 3.5mm socket! :) So there was no need for Apple to remove it!

Personally, for the reasons I mentioned above I'm not interested in wireless headphones. So I will have to use a clunky adapter with my phone that I will quickly lose. Or buy some headphones that only work with my phone - I don't see any likelihood of the lightning connector appearing on (Windows) laptops, planes, TVs, etc any time soon. I really cannot see how this is a step forward.

BTW, I have a technical question - I see claims that the output of the lightning socket towards headphones is digital. That would mean the headphones, or the adaptor, must include a digital to analogue convertor. Can anyone confirm whether that is the case, or whether lightning actually outputs analogue audio for headphones. Thanks!
It would appear that the Lightning port is actually outputting an analog signal if connected to a Lightning to a 3.5mm adapter, which means that an internal headphone DAC is still used on the iPhone 7. This is really shaping up to be the dumbest change Apple ever made.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It would appear that the Lightning port is actually outputting an analog signal if connected to a Lightning to a 3.5mm adapter, which means that an internal headphone DAC is still used on the iPhone 7. This is really shaping up to be the dumbest change Apple ever made.

Or there is a DAC in the adapter.
If by only removing the jack from the iPhone has made Apple fit more in it, which we all by now know it did, than there is no need for anybody to complain about leaving the DAC in the iPhone, for now. And like I said, it's not clear yet if there is a DAC in the iPhone 7 or not.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
If by only removing the jack from the iPhone has made Apple fit more in it, which we all by now know it did, than there is no need for anybody to complain about leaving the DAC in the iPhone, for now. And like I said, it's not clear yet if there is a DAC in the iPhone 7 or not.
The Lightning connector end of the adapter is too small to house a DAC and unless Apple figured out how to do curved PCBs/chips the 3.5mm end isn't housing a DAC either. I'm certain the signal is analog.

mobilem1

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Tear downs have already shown that the headphone jack only took up roughly 10 square mm in the iphone. It actually takes up less space than the lightning connector. So the more that apple tries to spin this story of saving space the more it looks they are trying to justify their decision of creating a solution to a problem that did not exist.

jaimeastin

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Apple is GIVING AWAY adapters with the iPhone7... Sheesh...
Yet another dongle to carry around with the rest of the Apple crap.

We were like 3/4 to picking up a 7+ this morning in correct madera. I compared the iPhone 7+ to my s7 edge, which I chose to buy on the 9th after abandoning my 7+ online... But my girlfriend still wanted hers, so we got it. Anywho, the 7+ is bigger than the edge.

I don't think it was courageous or bold... It think it was greedy and the marketing has swayed the sheep to believe it is is a great thing... They did not replace the jack with some nice like another lightning port... They did not decrease the size of the phone as it is the bezel is still huge. Since they are cutting cords, where is wireless charging? I love the idea of their new wireless technology, but the phone still has Bluetooth and could have still had the headphone jack.

I have been using wireless headphones for almost a decade. I still use wired ones still... why? Just cause i can. Analog sound is here for the time being cause i do not see all companies adopting the lightning port... Apple is just fragmenting the accessories again...

Dang look at thrnwatxh, finally it has gps... But still needs the phone to fully funtion... Which is why I used my ms band for the past couple years... I thought I would get the watch with the 7+, but I bought the edge and gear s2... Samsung's last models are still better than apples new gear... At least for me.

The only boldness Apple has is that they constantly sell you stuff with about 60% or more profit and brag about the billions they have in the bank... Which most Apple fans regurgitate like it is their bank account. Apple sells you limited hardware which next year's software update almost always cripples and imore has to to help people save power or so.

It is their way or no way... Which is why I am happy we all have a choice. I opted out after see the new year buds marketed as magical. But other opted in. That is great... But Apple being bold to remove a jack is not bold. They created an issue that did not need a fix. This issue will only line their pockets... The real thing is most people don't have a sound for music and would never, ever tell a difference in the so-called sound advantage.. the jack was not replaced with more batter or functionality so it could have stayed... It gave them more attention and buzz... Now will have people buying new accessories, lol.

Count how many dongles you have to carry for your Apple devices... Well most Mac users never have them so I have to save the day at the office for the special Mac/ipad visitors who still fumble around... Never any productive benefit. Yet you gotta love your Apple and Starbucks :). Please ignore my sarcasm. I buy buy and own crap from all companies... I just disagree with the removal of the jack being bold... I'm fine with it being gone, but did it need to leave?!

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Here's something I've been tracking. Sellout of IPhone 7 Plus. 48 hours. Sellout of iPhone 6s Plus. 8 hours (or less depending on what news agency you trust most...). Seems Apple made a mistake here folks. Deal with it. I hope Apple will.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Here's something I've been tracking. Sellout of IPhone 7 Plus. 48 hours. Sellout of iPhone 6s Plus. 8 hours (or less depending on what new agency you trust most...). Seems Apple made a mistake here folks. Deal with it. I hope Apple will.

These aren't facts.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Maybe not now, not next year, but it definitely needs to be gone.

For you? Sure, I don't argue with that. If you don't want the jack, Good. I have no beef with that. Wireless is cool, no doubt. But, if you have a problem with those that WANT the jack, yes, then I have a problem with that. From what I see, 50% of iPhone users WANT the jack. So, to me, take it from the 7, keep it on the 7 Plus. There is PLENTY of room for it on the Plus version. Apple made a bad move here. Alienating 50% of their fans. WTF? What company does that. OK, yeah, MS did it with the Start Menu, but they learned their lesson and brought it back. Hopefully Apple will do the same.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
These aren't facts.

And.... what are the facts???? Nice try. Seems Apple stock knows the truth. It's suffering. Had small bump on release day, but right back on the downward slope. Check it....

Apple needs to STOP the "tower" mentality and realize it's in the same market as all other smartphone. Small changes, not drastic moves to bolster sales. Don't diss the users.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For you? Sure, I don't argue with that. If you don't want the jack, Good. I have no beef with that. Wireless is cool, no doubt. But, if you have a problem with those that WANT the jack, yes, then I have a problem with that. From what I see, 50% of iPhone users WANT the jack. So, to me, take it from the 7, keep it on the 7 Plus. There is PLENTY of room for it on the Plus version. Apple made a bad move here. Alienating 50% of their fans. WTF? What company does that. OK, yeah, MS did it with the Start Menu, but they learned their lesson and brought it back. Hopefully Apple will do the same.

Apple can do it any way they want! It's up to you, whether you buy their product or not. It may have been a bad move for you, but a good move for Apple. They're still gonna sell millions of iPhones.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
This is why I always like to have an exit strategy:

I do love Apple devices, but I am always very conscious of the fact that this may not last. When IOS7 was released, my phone and iPad (at the time an iPhone 5 and iPad 4) were bricked... in the middle of final exams, everything was on there and I couldn't access my Apple ID to retrieve anything.

I left Apple.
Of course I made the mistake of choosing Samsung and that cluster#### left me with a bricked Note 3 and a broken Note Pro... which had me run back to Apple with the release of the iPhone 6.

Now I know very little about the 7 Plus, I haven't received mine yet.
But I have an iPad Pro and Pencil, and on that level, all is well on the Apple-Evilguppy honeymoon.

But the third wheel in that relationship is Apple's pissed poor performance when it comes to launch day.

I am not amused.
I mean, sure, at the moment, I can hardly complain, Apple has been running around like a headless chicken so fast and furious that they managed to push up my delivery date twice and I am now getting my phone Wednesday, so I have no complaints.

But, for ME, my head, my stress management and my basic inner peace, I have decided this is the last launch day upgrade I every try.
I will never buy another Apple device during their launch period ever again.
I will get my iPads in the fall and my iPhones in the spring, this way I will never again have to deal with the disappointment of not getting my device on launch day and I will never again have to run around adjusting my schedule for a date that keeps moving.

That was my issue so I came up with a solution that works for me.

Now if the technology itself was a problem, I'd have a few options but here's what I would do:
If I decide I don't like the 7 Plus I will exchange it for a 6S Plus, because it will give me better performance than the 6 Plus I currently have and it will give me a good 2-3 years to plan and decide if I just want to skip and wait for future devices to be more to my liking.

Or, if it's really that bad and I have to rethink my affiliation with Apple products, then I have a couple of years to try, test and decide on other brands and get reacquainted with meting outside of the Apple ecosystem.

But make no mistake: Apple is Apple and they make their products with a certain idea in mind.
That appeals to many, hence Apple' ridiculous success.
But sometimes what appeals to most doesn't work for us personally and that's why it's important to always have a plan B.

I do not believe for o e second that Apple is making a mistake, hell, even IOS10 is a tweaked descendant of the hated and reviled IOS7.

Of the few freedoms we still have in this world, choosing our tech products and not be tied down to one company is still one of them, so use it.
But if you go Android, please avoid Samsung like the proverbial cooties, because THEY know how to screw customers better than anyone else in the tech world... except for Blackberry, of course. ��

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is why I always like to have an exit strategy:

I do love Apple devices, but I am always very conscious of the fact that this may not last. When IOS7 was released, my phone and iPad (at the time an iPhone 5 and iPad 4) were bricked... in the middle of final exams, everything was on there and I couldn't access my Apple ID to retrieve anything.

I left Apple.
Of course I made the mistake of choosing Samsung and that cluster#### left me with a bricked Note 3 and a broken Note Pro... which had me run back to Apple with the release of the iPhone 6.

Now I know very little about the 7 Plus, I haven't received mine yet.
But I have an iPad Pro and Pencil, and on that level, all is well on the Apple-Evilguppy honeymoon.

But the third wheel in that relationship is Apple's pissed poor performance when it comes to launch day.

I am not amused.
I mean, sure, at the moment, I can hardly complain, Apple has been running around like a headless chicken so fast and furious that they managed to push up my delivery date twice and I am now getting my phone Wednesday, so I have no complaints.

But, for ME, my head, my stress management and my basic inner peace, I have decided this is the last launch day upgrade I every try.
I will never buy another Apple device during their launch period ever again.
I will get my iPads in the fall and my iPhones in the spring, this way I will never again have to deal with the disappointment of not getting my device on launch day and I will never again have to run around adjusting my schedule for a date that keeps moving.

That was my issue so I came up with a solution that works for me.

Now if the technology itself was a problem, I'd have a few options but here's what I would do:
If I decide I don't like the 7 Plus I will exchange it for a 6S Plus, because it will give me better performance than the 6 Plus I currently have and it will give me a good 2-3 years to plan and decide if I just want to skip and wait for future devices to be more to my liking.

Or, if it's really that bad and I have to rethink my affiliation with Apple products, then I have a couple of years to try, test and decide on other brands and get reacquainted with meting outside of the Apple ecosystem.

But make no mistake: Apple is Apple and they make their products with a certain idea in mind.
That appeals to many, hence Apple' ridiculous success.
But sometimes what appeals to most doesn't work for us personally and that's why it's important to always have a plan B.

I do not believe for o e second that Apple is making a mistake, hell, even IOS10 is a tweaked descendant of the hated and reviled IOS7.

Of the few freedoms we still have in this world, choosing our tech products and not be tied down to one company is still one of them, so use it.
But if you go Android, please avoid Samsung like the proverbial cooties, because THEY know how to screw customers better than anyone else in the tech world... except for Blackberry, of course. ��

I never had anything "brick" before. How does that happen?