Couragegate

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
More likely looking long term.

Mac Books will have all Lightning. But there is the questions what about USB-C. since that does the same thing, Audio, power, and also video.

What we are looking at is current Apple already is on year 3 on development.

Apple doesn't care if you will buy them or not, there is market they hold in Beats to make up for it.....

This article goes into decent detail why it's pure business with regards to the removal of the audio jack...
The biggest winner from removing the headphone jack is Apple | The Verge

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... But as I see it, those that don't agree have nothing to lose either way. Seriously, nothing at all.
That is "true". The earphone jack has one purpose and that is to provide a means to listen to audio via a wired headset or wired speaker. Being that Apple has also provided an adapter on the new iPhones that no longer have the earphone jack, we are still able to listen to audio via a wired headset or a wired speaker.
Those that agree lose out big time. That's not a fair comparison, not fair by any measure of truth or reality.
That is "false". The only two things you lose are your preference for an earphone jack (your primary gripe) and the ability to charge the device while listening to audio via a wired headset or wired speaker. That is NOT a "big time" loss. If it were, you wouldn't "consider" buying one of the new iPhones like you've already admitted to doing.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I recently got a pair of earphones from ATH and they fit my ears really well.

I'll have to look into those. I've waisted so much money. Even the small buds on different earphones are uncomfortable. I have a few sets of Apple EarPods from different iPhones and I always go back to those.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to look into those. I've waisted so much money. Even the small buds on different earphones are uncomfortable. I have a few sets of Apple EarPods from different iPhones and I always go back to those.
I have to say that these are more comfortable than the Apple ear Pods that I have.

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I don't think it was the wrong call in the long run, but they tried to be too clever to early. I just don't think it will make our lives better. I have a year old MacBook Pro and now I need a dongle because my new lightning port headphones won't work but I do t think they have a single for that yet. I can't pick up a cheap pair of ear buds if I forget my pair at home. I don't want Bluetooth because I don't want to worry about battery level. I do believe space is at a premium and I agree but I think the cost to the consumer will be greater and not simplify his life.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it was a silly move on their part (no real reason to other than they wanted people to be wireless). But, I dislike Android so it's not like I'll be jumping ship. I expect they think a lot of other people feel the same way.

steelrain82

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
To reiterate from earlier. The moto z may have done the same thing by removing the jack. However, they provided all the same features plus many more than the iPhone 7. But in removing the jack, they also switched to USB c which can be used universally as more and more devices switch to USB c. And they also provide the user with moto mods. Which adds extra options/benefits to the phone. I still don't agree with removing the jack in either case. I know 1 person that uses wireless. Everyone else uses wired 3.5, and they all listen and charge at the same time.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
To reiterate from earlier. The moto z may have done the same thing by removing the jack. However, they provided all the same features plus many more than the iPhone 7. But in removing the jack, they also switched to USB c which can be used universally as more and more devices switch to USB c. And they also provide the user with moto mods. Which adds extra options/benefits to the phone. I still don't agree with removing the jack in either case. I know 1 person that uses wireless. Everyone else uses wired 3.5, and they all listen and charge at the same time.

Keep in mind they only removed it from the smaller Moto Z phone. They kept the jack on the larger version of the phone. That's part of my problem with this. I can understand the smaller phone, but there is room in the Plus. It should be there.

Here's some more interesting stuff to add speculation if it's a bad move.
- Apple stock has gone down today. Usually after announcements it goes up for a few days.
- Apple announced they will not announce sales numbers of the iPhone for the first weekend of sales. Hmmmm... Are they expecting bad sales due to this? Kinda seems that way. They can afford that for sure, but not sure it will be good overall for the ecosystem as a whole.

Getting to a point it's time to grab popcorn and watch the fun. My wallet is staying in my pocket for now. Even one of my friends that's the most Apple centric has stated he's not that interested. He doesn't mind the jack not being there, but there were other missing things he wanted that just didn't appear.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Very true, and that isn't even considering how many of the 300,000 that signed the petition won't complain and then buy an iPhone 7 anyway. I imagine there are more than just a few.

I remember a similar petition when Apple ditched the 30-pin adapter. I, for one, wasn't thrilled because I had a drawer full of 30-pin cables at home and a 30-pin dock on my nightstand. How many can honestly say they miss the 30-pin adapter today?

They didn't get rid of an entire jack did they? They only made it smaller and less easy to break.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They probably won't but when Apple's forced to recognize USB C they're going to have to change their standards again; making even more headphones obsolete.

Obsolete? Don't think so. They'll just include an lightning to USB C adapter instead of the 3.5 to lightning.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
No thanks

There are plenty of options with the 3.5mm jack if you want one. It just won't be an iPhone 7 and beyond unless somehow they reverse direction.

"After the launch of the iPhone 7 we received complaints about the missing audio jack... Due to loss in sales customer feedback, we are bringing back the 3.5 mm headphone jack." - Tim Cook

:p

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So we'll need a USB-C to lightning adapter to plug into our lightning to 3.5mm adapter to plug into our headphones. :)

I'm confident by that time most people won't have any 3.5mm jack headphones laying around.

I know for sure I will buy a decent headphone with lightning plug.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen