Couragegate

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Sure, many do agree, but in the over all scheme of things, that's still a fairly small amount of consumers compared to the millions that will buy the device and have no strong feeling one way or another (many even possibly preferring the lack of the headphone jack for whatever reason). I personally don't see a seriously legitimate rationale for it, but it also doesn't bother me tremendously either. I guess you could say I'm fairly neutral on the subject, which is honestly a nice place to be, all things considered.

To retort to your comment about there being "plenty of room" though, unfortunately I can't agree there. I posted a picture in another thread basically showing the new haptic (or taptic, or whatever Apple calls it) home button feedback engine. It basically directly takes the place of the old 3.5mm internal hardware, as you can see here in this picture. To me, that singular piece is about the only logical explanation I can see aside from their rhetorical "It was time for change" response.

Here's the picture:

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 11.28.50 PM.png

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Follow with what? Bluetooth? We all know how buggy and problematic that is. Plus, great, another thing to charge. Smartphones have had dongles before, and that idea failed a long time ago. They were hated, and the original iPhone actually touted it had a true audio jack (if you remember that...) Steve Jobs would never have allowed this. It's a dumb greedy move on Apple.
This already exist the moto Droid do not have a headphone Jack either. Also several other android manufacturer are doing the same let's not make this out to be the end of our first world issues. If you guys are not liking it there are plenty of options available.

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It would be innovation only if they brought something better to the table. Instead, they brought "courage" and asked others to innovate. No, Apple just demonstrated that they are completely out of ideas. Quite the opposite of innovation.

Now you put me thinking dude

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
@MonkeyJunky The "Taptic Engine" that's in the 7 must be smaller, can't they use the smaller unit in the 7 Plus? (is that a picture of the regular 7?) And, still have room for the jack? Does it really need to be _that_ big? The 6s has a Taptic Engine AND the headphone jack... Also, while it may be a non-issue to you, I'm sure it's also a non-issue that it could be there. The far majority of those that won't use it could care less if it was there. But, I feel the number of folks that would want it will move on. Heck I may move on if Apple doesn't return it in the next iteration. I can wait. But that number that will move on will hurt Apple. How much I don't know. I'm afraid it will be a large number, and that will hurt the iOS ecosystem drastically. At that point you may care.

Last edited:

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Somebody already did.... its Apple thats following. Moto's Z Series and LeEco.

Recent news on the Moto Z is big drops in price to push sales. And the LeEco had a "flash sale" this Summer... Wonder why the sales are hurting?

P.S. the regular LeEco 2 is missing the jack, the Max version has it. That's part of my reasoning here, is that the Plus should have it. It is a "Phablet" after all, and should have plenty of room.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Recent news on the Moto Z is big drops in price to push sales. And the LeEco had a "flash sale" this Summer... Wonder why the sales are hurting?
Here's where I think Apple will not have any problems. Sales might be down but not enough to hurt them. I'm okay about them removing the jack, not at all happy about it. A hashtag comes to mind that Casey Newton of The Verge suggested yesterday and for a while it trended on Twitter.
#JackOff

Last edited:

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I get your point. But in saying this at least they supply the dongle in the box for the headphone jack. It would be different if you had the purchase one.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I get your point. But in saying this at least they supply the dongle in the box for the headphone jack. It would be different if you had the purchase one.

If it was no big deal to remove, why did they provide the dongle? Because it was a big deal. And how are you going to charge it and listen to audio (or use another device that needs the port) at the same time? Problem...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If it was no big deal to remove, why did they provide the dongle? Because it was a big deal. And how are you going to charge it and listen to audio (or use another device that needs the port) at the same time? Problem...

Easy.... just carry one of these with you.

macgpic-1432213024-244171112801755-op.jpg

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
@MonkeyJunky The "Taptic Engine" that's in the 7 must be smaller, can't they use the smaller unit in the 7 Plus? (is that a picture of the regular 7?) And, still have room for the jack? Does it really need to be _that_ big? The 6s has a Taptic Engine AND the headphone jack... Also, while it may be a non-issue to you, I'm sure it's also a non-issue that it could be there. The far majority of those that won't use it could care less if it was there. But, I feel the number of folks that would want it will move on. Heck I may move on if Apple doesn't return it in the next iteration. I can wait. But that number that will move on will hurt Apple. How much I don't know. I'm afraid it will be a large number, and that will hurt the iOS ecosystem drastically. At that point you may care.

I personally don't think it's going to hurt iOS at all. Do I know that for sure? No, but I really don't think it will.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
That other big company recently released some wireless earbuds for $200 so I just knew when Apple announced the AirPods they would be $400! I'm actually shocked they're only $159! I think they're ugly so I won't be purchasing any, but I will say that Apple's EarPods are the only earphones that fit my ears comfortably.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
That other big company recently released some wireless earbuds for $200 so I just knew when Apple announced the AirPods they would be $400! I'm actually shocked they're only $159! I think they're ugly so I won't be purchasing any, but I will say that Apple's EarPods are the only earphones that fit my ears comfortably.
I recently got a pair of earphones from ATH and they fit my ears really well.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
This already exist the moto Droid do not have a headphone Jack either. Also several other android manufacturer are doing the same let's not make this out to be the end of our first world issues. If you guys are not liking it there are plenty of options available.

Yes, but the Moto Z Play does have a headphone jack by the way and I have already seen people say that it having one is a plus over the Z Droid and Z Force.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but the Moto Z Play does have a headphone jack by the way and I have already seen people say that it having one is a plus over the Z Droid and Z Force.
That could very well be true but the play is also a dumbed down version of the Z just look at it spec for spec. However to me there is no right or wrong because change will happen eventually there is not right time or wrong time.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
That could very well be true but the play is also a dumbed down version of the Z just look at it spec for spec. However to me there is no right or wrong because change will happen eventually there is not right time or wrong time.

I don't know, a reviewer has said that when using both, he could hardly tell the difference between the two in performance, Better battery too though. I think the USB-C change has been handled better than this headphone jack removal.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR