Couragegate

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Because you're a complainer and whining over something that is progress. Whether you see it or not. If Apple backtracks and returns the jack on the iPhone 8, I'll come back and eat my words. But it's not going to happen. Wah, I don't like dongles. Wah, Apple is being greedy. Wah, for the sake of wahing. Run your mouth and keep posting about your displeasure. You're the minority so far.

Great points dejahn. There's been a few sympathizers though, surprisingly.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is a problem, that "option" is a blast from the past, not a move forward. Smart phones didn't have audio jacks way back when they first hit the scene. Most of them used dongles. (Do a Google on "HTC Audio Dongle") They sucked then, they suck now. There is no reason why Apple couldn't have done the wireless option AS WELL AS the audio jack. No reason at all.

Sure, they could have, but they didn't, and in a few weeks, nobody is even going to care. They're going to sell millions of new iPhones, and a good deal of AirPods when released and those who do not opt to use the included lightning EarPods will use either their current or a different brand of Bluetooth earphone or they will use the included analog to lightning adapter and go about their business.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just going to need to be very attentive with telecoms. Phones gotta stay charged, buds have to stay in. Will be a change to my routine since i typically charge my phone during teleconferences since it just sits there.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Just going to need to be very attentive with telecoms. Phones gotta stay charged, buds have to stay in. Will be a change to my routine since i typically charge my phone during teleconferences since it just sits there.

That's a good point, how do you listen to wired headphones and charge at the same time? I'm sure solution will come out, but not from Apple so far. And, added cost once again.

I often use my iPhone in a car with audio, not all vehicles I drive have Bluetooth so wired it is. (yes, many of them are rentals...) And, while using the GPS guided maps to get to destinations I don't go to often, or have not been yet I need to keep it plugged into a charging cable. So basically that scenario is shot. Thanks Apple.

Last edited:

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
See, I'm not even coming at this from a position of somebody who needs the headphone jack. I have an AudioQuest Dragonfly Red that I use with the USB 3.0 adapter to both charge the iPhone and listen to my headphones. This was so far reserved for those moments when I really want to get serious about my audio quality. Even from this position, the decision to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack is so, so stupid that it trully boggles the mind. Apple's premise is rooted in a falsehood - that somehow the existence of the 3.5mm jack was holding back wireless audio development. No, in fact there is no known evidence of this. Over-reliance on a bad standard (Bluetooth) and the generall perception that MP3 (like) music is "good enough" is what is holding back the wireless headphone development. Without any evidence, that is a much more logical position to take. Manufacturers will always take the cheapest, easiest to implement tech that is passable to the target market and implement it. That's how 99.99% of companies out there think and work.

All we will see as a result of this is a proliferation of more bad audio tech, whether wireless or wired via Lightning (crappy DACs anyone?)

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I understand why they removed the headphone jack. That being said, to call it courage is complete BS. That's not courage.

I listened to all the reasons Apple put out (not the B.S. from zealots agreeing with them.) Looking at the diagrams in Apple's presentation, it seems to me that the final straw that made Apple do this move is they wanted a large haptic engine. Not sure why they couldn't make the haptic engine 20% smaller and still have the audio jack in the Plus. I could see no headphone jack on the smaller 7, but not on the 7 Plus.

Ballsy, yes. Courage? No, they used that word badly and for an excuse, not a reason. I agree with you there.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
For those that don't care, there is no reason to be arrogant or disrespectful of those that want options. For those that would still love to more easily use an expensive set of headphones for better audio quality. Or, to be able to have phone conversations or record memos without the need to worry about what the battery life is on a pair of Bluetooth or the new wireless ear buds. We, have had our options reduced. Yes, this is something to get worked up about. This argument was loud and strong before on smartphones before the iPhone that didn't have audio jacks. And, it once again needs to be loud and strong.

Except you also sound arrogant and disrespectful. Sorry, it's your tone too.

Personally - I don't care. They're including a dongle so I can use my Bose. I'm good. And if it means better sound quality, even better. THAT is what I care about.

You're acting like they're the only company doing it. They aren't the first, they won't be the last.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Just saw this on Twitter: 5 hours of listening time for those fancy schmancy wireless headphones? If you're flying overseas, just buy a second pair!

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Personally - I don't care. They're including a dongle so I can use my Bose. I'm good. And if it means better sound quality, even better. THAT is what I care about.

Just being disrespectful to Apple who is being disrespectful of me.

And if you ever need to charge your phone and use your Bose at the same time, not gonna work with Apple's solution. Plus, there is speculation that the sound quality via the dongle might be worse. Read above about the smaller DAC (digital to analog controller) because of the dongle setup.

Apple's the only company I care about when it comes to smartphones, and they are doing it. Other companies did it many years ago and were hated for using dongles for sound. Apple's original iPhone argument is that they included an audio jack in their smartphone.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Here's another thought: Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will singlehandedly create mountains of electronic waste.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@Nargg Everyone here understands that you dislike Apple's decision to remove the earphone jack. Having said that, it is a done deal. If you feel the need to not purchase the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 7 Plus, don't purchase it. With that in mind, there are those of us who don't have a problem with what Apple has done in regard to removing the earphone jack. It's not like we hadn't heard the rumors of them doing away with it for the past 9 months or so. Many of us listen to music via wire and wirelessly and we will still have that option with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. With that in mind, you dislike the "options" and you've made it clear. What you haven't done is find a majority here at iMore who agrees with you, and more than likely you won't. It doesn't mean we don't acknowledge your complaints. Some of us simply do not care about it to the same degree that you do. Nothing more.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

And if you ever need to charge your phone and use your Bose at the same time, not gonna work with Apple's solution. Plus, there is speculation that the sound quality via the dongle might be worse. Read above about the smaller DAC (digital to analog controller) because of the dongle setup.

Apple's the only company I care about when it comes to smartphones, and they are doing it. Other companies did it many years ago and were hated for using dongles for sound. Apple's original iPhone argument is that they included an audio jack in their smartphone.

Considering I charge my phone once a day, for an hour before bed, somehow I think I'll survive.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I have never had to do this on my 6S+. Not once, and I'm a heavy listener.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Many of us listen to music via wire and wirelessly and we will still have that option with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

But what you won't be able to do is listen via wire and charge at the same time. Plus you'll need additional equipment to do that, making it less convenient and more troublesome. Plus, it could reduce quality. I like options, very much. I dislike, as many do, when options are taken away. That's what Apple did. To a line of phones I very much liked. That's not the move of a premium device.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
That was 9 years ago, man. Things change and evolve.

Not always for the better. And, not from a company known for supporting music and sound so heavily. Steve Jobs would never had allowed this to happen. Never. Remember that time Microsoft courageously deleted the Start button?

Last edited: