Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 333
Like Tree443Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #126  
    Nargg's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Very true, and that isn't even considering how many of the 300,000 that signed the petition won't complain and then buy an iPhone 7 anyway. I imagine there are more than just a few.

    I remember a similar petition when Apple ditched the 30-pin adapter. I, for one, wasn't thrilled because I had a drawer full of 30-pin cables at home and a 30-pin dock on my nightstand. How many can honestly say they miss the 30-pin adapter today?
    The Lightning port adapter was an excellent replacement. I kinda was upset at the change initially there too. So far, there is no good replacement option for the audio jack. All options so far have a negative that can't be overcome. With the Lightning adapter, time and money overcame and we ended up with a better option. Similar in arguments like the floppy drive, better replaced. Far too many people still use the audio jack, and there is no good replacement that can be fixed.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #127  
    Nargg's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyJunky View Post
    When Apple sees numbers like this, even 300,000 begins to seem insignificant.

    Attachment 111166
    Statistically, very few people no matter what the feel with bother. People generally don't like petition signing. That 300K bothered is a big deal. Statistically compared to what might be possible out of who is on the side of this petition argument, it's a lot. I've worked with folks in political election teams. You can usually multiply that number by many 10s on those that care about it.
  3. #128  
    kilofoxtrot's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,542 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Out of curiosity.... will the lightning headphones work on earlier lightning port phones? 6'es and 5'es?
  4. #129  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,988 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,869 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Out of curiosity.... will the lightning headphones work on earlier lightning port phones? 6'es and 5'es?
    Anything with a lightning port and runnin iOS10...
    kilofoxtrot and libra89 like this.
  5. #130  
    MonkeyJunky's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    91 Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    Statistically, very few people no matter what the feel with bother. People generally don't like petition signing. That 300K bothered is a big deal. Statistically compared to what might be possible out of who is on the side of this petition argument, it's a lot. I've worked with folks in political election teams. You can usually multiply that number by many 10s on those that care about it.
    Not to diminish your concern, but when you're looking at numbers close to 100 million, even a million people is a drop in the bucket. Apple has proven over the years that they follow consumer trends, so if the trend points to most consumers having little or no use for a headphone jack, that is what will happen. It was the same thing when Apple was still hanging on to the smaller screen size, and a very significant % of the consumer base had to make waves before they finally moved into the size range we see now.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
  6. #131  
    Xm_jdm's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,497 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,088 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    To those saying this is no big deal. 300,000 signatures so far in this petition to brink back the audio jack https://actions.sumofus.org/a/iphone-headphone-jack
    Like, comment and sign everyone.
  7. #132  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,988 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,869 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    To those saying this is no big deal. 300,000 signatures so far in this petition to brink back the audio jack https://actions.sumofus.org/a/iphone-headphone-jack
    Petitioning is futile... quixotic even. Give it time... Where there's a demand for accessories, Apple and 3rd party manufactures will meet needs that there's a profitable market for... funny how capitalism works like that...
  8. #133  

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Oh how our first world problems have become so trivial. Really something as trivial as no headphone jack, for which Apple is supplying an adapter for. In this day and age we can not all have what we want when it comes to change. But we must be more willing to accept change, whether we like it or not, because it will continue to happen and leave us behind if we do not learn to accept it.
  9. #134  
    MonkeyJunky's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    91 Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by firedept10 View Post
    Oh how our first world problems have become so trivial. Really something as trivial as no headphone jack, for which Apple is supplying an adapter for. In this day and age we can not all have what we want when it comes to change. But we must be more willing to accept change, whether we like it or not, because it will continue to happen and leave us behind if we do not learn to accept it.
    Voicing concerns about something that displeases a person as a consumer is just as essential as learning to accept change within the consumer electronics world. I don't think telling someone "Get over it and accept it." is any better than someone going off the deep end over something like this is. There is nothing to gain by being too extreme on either end of that spectrum. Consumers should find a happy middle ground of acceptance and vocalized concern (if applicable). Keeps these companies on their toes while also grounding consumers in realistic expectations.
  10. #135  

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    To those saying this is no big deal. 300,000 signatures so far in this petition to brink back the audio jack https://actions.sumofus.org/a/iphone-headphone-jack
    Oh well, that changes EVERYTHING.

  11. #136  

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    lol WOW
    $5 says 292,854 of those signatures on that 'very important petition' are alts of one person.
    John Yester likes this.
  12. #137  
    Ziich47's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    I love the new wireless audio options on the iPhone 7. However, removing the audio jack was not courageous. It was stupid and greedy of Apple to try to change the World to their narrow vision in this manor. You know, the wheel was invented centuries ago, but cars still use it. Know why? Because it works. I've used smart phones with dongles for audio jacks before, and those stink. Looks like I'll be saving money this year and waiting for Apple to come to their senses on the 7s.
    My question is will the new macbook pros have a lightning port?. I use headphones a lot and I normally switch btw multiple devices. Bluetooth can be a pain to unpair and pair and only iPhones and iPads have lightning ports. I will not buy headphones that are only compatible with one device. That introduces more wires not less.
    PS I also refuse to have q-tips dangling from my ears (160? Ha!!)
  13. #138  
    sangs's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    900 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Petitioning is futile... .
    Borg Queen? Is that you?
  14. #139  

    Default Re: Couragegate

    More likely looking long term.

    Mac Books will have all Lightning. But there is the questions what about USB-C. since that does the same thing, Audio, power, and also video.

    What we are looking at is current Apple already is on year 3 on development.

    Apple doesn't care if you will buy them or not, there is market they hold in Beats to make up for it.....
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
  15. #140  
    worldspy99's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    732 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,242 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziich47 View Post
    My question is will the new macbook pros have a lightning port?. I use headphones a lot and I normally switch btw multiple devices. Bluetooth can be a pain to unpair and pair and only iPhones and iPads have lightning ports. I will not buy headphones that are only compatible with one device. That introduces more wires not less.
    PS I also refuse to have q-tips dangling from my ears (160? Ha!!)
    Then your best friend will be the $9 dongle 😀
  16. #141  
    worldspy99's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    732 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,242 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    More likely looking long term.

    Mac Books will have all Lightning. But there is the questions what about USB-C. since that does the same thing, Audio, power, and also video.

    What we are looking at is current Apple already is on year 3 on development.

    Apple doesn't care if you will buy them or not, there is market they hold in Beats to make up for it.....
    This article goes into decent detail why it's pure business with regards to the removal of the audio jack...
    The biggest winner from removing the headphone jack is Apple | The Verge
  17. #142  

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    ... But as I see it, those that don't agree have nothing to lose either way. Seriously, nothing at all.
    That is "true". The earphone jack has one purpose and that is to provide a means to listen to audio via a wired headset or wired speaker. Being that Apple has also provided an adapter on the new iPhones that no longer have the earphone jack, we are still able to listen to audio via a wired headset or a wired speaker.
    Those that agree lose out big time. That's not a fair comparison, not fair by any measure of truth or reality.
    That is "false". The only two things you lose are your preference for an earphone jack (your primary gripe) and the ability to charge the device while listening to audio via a wired headset or wired speaker. That is NOT a "big time" loss. If it were, you wouldn't "consider" buying one of the new iPhones like you've already admitted to doing.
  18. #143  
    firstborn80's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    337 Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by worldspy99 View Post
    I recently got a pair of earphones from ATH and they fit my ears really well.
    I'll have to look into those. I've waisted so much money. Even the small buds on different earphones are uncomfortable. I have a few sets of Apple EarPods from different iPhones and I always go back to those.
  19. #144  
    worldspy99's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    732 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,242 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by firstborn80 View Post
    I'll have to look into those. I've waisted so much money. Even the small buds on different earphones are uncomfortable. I have a few sets of Apple EarPods from different iPhones and I always go back to those.
    I have to say that these are more comfortable than the Apple ear Pods that I have.
  20. #145  
    apcman's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    I agree. I don't think it was the wrong call in the long run, but they tried to be too clever to early. I just don't think it will make our lives better. I have a year old MacBook Pro and now I need a dongle because my new lightning port headphones won't work but I do t think they have a single for that yet. I can't pick up a cheap pair of ear buds if I forget my pair at home. I don't want Bluetooth because I don't want to worry about battery level. I do believe space is at a premium and I agree but I think the cost to the consumer will be greater and not simplify his life.
  21. #146  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    504 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    I think it was a silly move on their part (no real reason to other than they wanted people to be wireless). But, I dislike Android so it's not like I'll be jumping ship. I expect they think a lot of other people feel the same way.
  22. #147  
    steelrain82's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    To reiterate from earlier. The moto z may have done the same thing by removing the jack. However, they provided all the same features plus many more than the iPhone 7. But in removing the jack, they also switched to USB c which can be used universally as more and more devices switch to USB c. And they also provide the user with moto mods. Which adds extra options/benefits to the phone. I still don't agree with removing the jack in either case. I know 1 person that uses wireless. Everyone else uses wired 3.5, and they all listen and charge at the same time.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #148  
    Nargg's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
    To reiterate from earlier. The moto z may have done the same thing by removing the jack. However, they provided all the same features plus many more than the iPhone 7. But in removing the jack, they also switched to USB c which can be used universally as more and more devices switch to USB c. And they also provide the user with moto mods. Which adds extra options/benefits to the phone. I still don't agree with removing the jack in either case. I know 1 person that uses wireless. Everyone else uses wired 3.5, and they all listen and charge at the same time.
    Keep in mind they only removed it from the smaller Moto Z phone. They kept the jack on the larger version of the phone. That's part of my problem with this. I can understand the smaller phone, but there is room in the Plus. It should be there.

    Here's some more interesting stuff to add speculation if it's a bad move.
    - Apple stock has gone down today. Usually after announcements it goes up for a few days.
    - Apple announced they will not announce sales numbers of the iPhone for the first weekend of sales. Hmmmm... Are they expecting bad sales due to this? Kinda seems that way. They can afford that for sure, but not sure it will be good overall for the ecosystem as a whole.

    Getting to a point it's time to grab popcorn and watch the fun. My wallet is staying in my pocket for now. Even one of my friends that's the most Apple centric has stated he's not that interested. He doesn't mind the jack not being there, but there were other missing things he wanted that just didn't appear.
  24. #149  
    iOS Gravity's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,965 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,577 Global Posts

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Very true, and that isn't even considering how many of the 300,000 that signed the petition won't complain and then buy an iPhone 7 anyway. I imagine there are more than just a few.

    I remember a similar petition when Apple ditched the 30-pin adapter. I, for one, wasn't thrilled because I had a drawer full of 30-pin cables at home and a 30-pin dock on my nightstand. How many can honestly say they miss the 30-pin adapter today?
    They didn't get rid of an entire jack did they? They only made it smaller and less easy to break.
  25. #150  

    Default Re: Couragegate

    Quote Originally Posted by iOS Gravity View Post
    They didn't get rid of an entire jack did they? They only made it smaller and less easy to break.
    Oh good, it's you again. That wasn't really my point. Nobody will miss the headphone jack in a few years.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions