Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree443Likes
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

Default Re: Couragegate

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Apple is also providing lightning earbuds... and other accessory makers will make devices with lighting connectors... frankly I think you're getting all wee-wee'd up over something that isn't going to change no matter how loudly you complain.
    That's why I'm not getting one... Everyone still has the right to criticize them though seeing as this is a public forum.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Replacement/extra lightning to headphone adapters sell for $9...
    Lose or break 10 you're down $90... In 2 years its bound to happen sooner or later.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by worldspy99 View Post
    I had a busy morning so for the first time in ages, I missed the keynote. I followed up on it a few minutes ago, took me a while to get through the presentation. Here are my thoughts related to the topic in this thread.

1. Dongle provided by Apple looks terrible - a couple of Apple reviewers who are big Apple product fans said so as well. The Chinese vendors are going to have a bonanza making these and variants thereof.
    2. Charging and playing audio in an older car without an aux jack is going to be interesting. Both my cars do not have an aux jack or BT. The playing music part can be sorted out via the dongle but charging and playing music is going to be an issue. And I am not going to run out and purchase a far more expensive item so that I can listen to music via BT using the newer iPhone.
    3. Air Pods for $159? No thanks. 5 hours on a single charge ergo you are out of luck on a flight from LA to Miami or for that matter any transoceanic flight. Definitely a fail especially for the price. Just because it uses a proprietary pairing standard doesn't mean the Air Pods get a free pass.
    Yep, I completely agree with your post. I haven't seen the dongle to comment on it, but I'll check Google for that. Otherwise, exactly. I guess for the interim, the iPhone SE will be the last new one of those (iPhones) for me.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerdl View Post
    Bluetooth is the future/present....PERIOD. Good call Apple.
    If its the future then why aren't Apple pushing this movement forward with including new Airpods with every iPhone purchase? Probably only costs around $20 to make them.
    libra89 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    Me, too. I disagree. Not only did Apple give you a way to continue using your corded headphones, it also gave those of us who are interested in the new AirPods a chance to experience them. Oil has been used for thousands of years and yet, some people are trying to force us to use something else.
    I suppose you won't be buying another iPhone then because we've seen the end of the analog earphone jack on the iPhone for the foreseeable future.
    Oil is damaging the environment, headphone jacks are not. The AirPods can work with any iPhone starting from the 5, so I don't see your point of Apple letting us try them by removing the headphone jack. I also don't see why people will buy $160 bluetooth earbuds that can just fall out of their ears and be lost within seconds.
    baseballbert likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

t's not like we hadn't heard the rumors of them doing away with it for the past 9 months or so.
    Funny thing is that every single rumor I've seen about the new iPhones was true.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

I don't care! I don't listen to music and charge the device at the same time now so there won't be an adjustment for me to make. No I will not. "Could" is not the same as "will". I remember when I could drive up to a gas station and have the attendant pump my gas, check the oil level and wipe my windshield clean. I "disliked" the transition from full service to self service. Now, I understand how much better self service is and I appreciate the transition. Change is inevitable, whether we like it or not. You're right. It's not. It's the move of a billion dollar company who happens to sell the most acclaimed smartphone in all the world. Anyway, you're clearly not open to accepting a disagreeing viewpoint so with that I'll say, "have a good evening"...
    You see... In NJ its still full service. :P
    baseballbert likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    18,272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by libra89 View Post
    Yep, I completely agree with your post. I haven't seen the dongle to comment on it, but I'll check Google for that. Otherwise, exactly. I guess for the interim, the iPhone SE will be the last new one of those (iPhones) for me.
    Actually I picked up a 6S 128 with 10 month factory warranty for less than the price of a new SE 64GB. Going to flip my 128GB iPhone 6 next week.
    libra89 likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,983 Global Posts

I don't have a problem with the headphone jack taken out. I have been very happy with my Bluetooth headphones. Really haven't had any problems with connectivity. I am however excited about the stereo speakers. My iPad Pro sounds amazing, now if my new 7 plus could sound half as awesome that would be a huge win in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by iOS Gravity View Post
    If its the future then why aren't Apple pushing this movement forward with including new Airpods with every iPhone purchase? Probably only costs around $20 to make them.
    Let it go. Bluetooth is what it is. Period. Good job Apple.
    firedept10 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    I know its done, but I'm just baffled by how everyone is just accepting this. The analog headphones everyone is speaking are capable of delivering high quality audio. Also, not everyone wants to have to charge their headphones just to be able to use them.
    libra89 and baseballbert like this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    18,272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iOS Gravity View Post
    I know its done, but I'm just baffled by how everyone is just accepting this. The analog headphones everyone is speaking are capable of delivering high quality audio. Also, not everyone wants to have to charge their headphones just to be able to use them.
    Agreed. The execution could have been better. Better dongle, adapter that would allow charging and listening at the same time and lower priced Air Pods would all have been nice. And yes not calling a move - designed to increase the height of the wall by a couple of feet around the fruit orchard and padding up the profit margins a bit more - Courage would have been great. Call a spade a spade but don't call it courageous!
    libra89 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

It would appear that this is a fine example of making a "mountain out of a mole hill", but I understand that everyone will differ with opinion. I personally can't see any real logic behind the move outside of the push for more proprietarily licensed accessories driven by the lightning port/cable. It didn't really provide any enhancement to the design or size of the phone in any meaningful way, and seems to have simply made room for their haptic home button feedback engine (which is fine, since the home button is something Apple clings onto so vigorously).

At the end of the day, there are lots of options on the market if the iPhone doesn't tickle your fancy just right. I have some nice headphones I use occasionally with my iPhone, and I'll still use them with the provided adapter. I personally don't have strong feelings one way or another about it, just like I didn't when they moved to the lightning cable itself for charging and accessories so many years ago.

If it really bothers you though, thankfully you have such a large range of competitive devices on the market to choose from, and these days, a large portion of them will do everything you want a modern smart phone to do as well as the next one does. You just have to pick which new toys are more worthy of your investment I suppose.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    I heard they're doing really well too. Moto Z has just been killing it.

Edit: Android has a sea of devices. If you don't like Android A you get Android B. Just like that, majority gave the Moto Z the middle finger like everyone expected they would and went with oh-well-any-other-choice. With Apple its bang or bust. You either accept the change or abandon ship. Since I firmly believe that Apple needs a shake-up, I'm hoping that this will be the catalyst. The company has gone a bit out of control as of late and completely lost touch with its roots.
    I don't honestly know if this is the shake up that they needed. They have been playing catch up to android features for a few years. I'm not a fan of wireless headphones (all the Bluetooth issues, I know things will probably get better), however losing the audio jack is the wrong choice in apples current state. Will the phone still sell like hotcakes? Sure.

The moto z as mentioned is jack free as well and provides the dongle also. However, the moto z also provides moto mods to add to the battery life, jbl speaker, and other mods. Is the camera iphone quality? Probably not, but it has lots of universal support from 3rd party in regards to headphones (USB c) and mods.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #90  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miketko View Post
    You know apple isn't the first one to do this right ? There are a couple of android devices that removed headphone jack. Time to move on bro
    OK, are you not listening? This was done VERY EARLY in smartphone technology. IT WAS HATED!
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    OK, are you not listening? This was done VERY EARLY in smartphone technology. IT WAS HATED!
    Android beats Apple in ditching the headphone port on smartphones - Android Authority

It wasn't that far back really, and those phones seem to have pretty favorable reviews in their respected markets.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #92  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    I truly expect enough backlash, that Apple may reverse this idiotic move. It could happen. Do you have faith in technology old or new, or just one company and it's greed?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by worldspy99 View Post
    Actually I picked up a 6S 128 with 10 month factory warranty for less than the price of a new SE 64GB. Going to flip my 128GB iPhone 6 next week.
    Wow that's an amazing deal! Congrats!
    worldspy99 likes this.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #94  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Audio is audio to an end user. But what about good companies like this? IK Multimedia | iRig 2 - Guitar interface adapter for iPad, iPhone iPod touch, Android and Mac. What are they to do? Apple may dig itself out of audio the hard way. It won't be pretty.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #95  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyJunky View Post
    Android beats Apple in ditching the headphone port on smartphones - Android Authority

It wasn't that far back really, and those phones seem to have pretty favorable reviews in their respected markets.
    You need to read the comments to those articles. They trash the article pretty badly. With some real world info too. Android is a mess (why I appreciate the iPhone, up to now....) and even Samsung has made fun of Apple on this move, so has LG and others.
    iMore Beginner

I mean I'm not trying to argue with your opinion on it, that is yours to own for better or worse. I was just pointing out that it wasn't really following the time line you were reflecting, and the reviews of those devices were generally pretty positive within the markets they were sold.

Also, other companies taking pot shots at each other is nothing new really.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #97  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

I mean I'm not trying to argue with your opinion on it, that is yours to own for better or worse. I was just pointing out that it wasn't really following the time line you were reflecting, and the reviews of those devices were generally pretty positive within the markets they were sold.

Thanks for your input, my timeline was longer than you thought. I'm referring of pre-iPhone era. Dongles were very normal back then. And, again, very hated. For a good reason, they sucked.

Seriously, as true back then, it is today there is no reason for this stupidity in design nuances. There is no need for internal hardware so important to forgo a very respected and tried and true part of any computing device today. Audio was hard to come by on early computers (for reference, research the Adlib card and Sound Blaster from VERY early on computers) Once it arrived in full force, and what Apple took advantage of in the original iPod and eventually iPhone there was no letting go of it. Apple wants to change it in ways too many folks do not want. Here on this forum, I may be among the minority. But in the rest of the World, it's very apparent Apple has gone wrong. I chose here to voice my dislike of this move. Some agree, others do not. But as I see it, those that don't agree have nothing to lose either way. Seriously, nothing at all. Those that agree lose out big time. That's not a fair comparison, not fair by any measure of truth or reality.
    dejanh likes this.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #98  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Oil has been used for thousands of years and yet, some people are trying to force us to use something else.
    Since when was Oil removed 100% from the cars you love to drive? Oil has limited appeal, sure, but there's plenty of time and no car company before recently has given up oil completely. A few have started out of the blue with zero oil from day 1, sure. But all the originals will flow into it slowly to make sure it 1. works. 2. is accepted 3. WORKS! 4. and people don't backlash. Apple didn't do that. They threw the baby out with the bath water completely and without remorse. I think they will remorse eventually. As others have also stated, the "oil" comparison is kinda off center and doesn't match this problem well. Audio jacks are not a problem to end users. Use them, or don't. Those that prefer would also prefer they stick around. To those that don't use them, there is no loss to them in being there. Like a few Twitter posts have jested "why not just put super glue in the port if you don't want it?" It's an argument of those with nothing to lose, and those who will lose out period. Very unfair.
    dejanh likes this.
    iMore Beginner

I suppose that's one way to look at it, but another way would be comparing it to a likeness of when automotive manufacturers began removing tape players from cars. Certain people were up in arms, most people didn't care, and some people didn't even notice as they never used them to begin with. It takes all kinds really, and you're not at fault for being displeased by the move, just like those people weren't wrong for being upset about a missing tape deck. In modern times though, a tape deck would be viewed as something archaic and having an option on a new car these days would be laughable really. Apple made the move, and regardless of how we view it now, we all know that analog connections like that are quickly being phased out of all things (especially in the automotive industry), and at the rate smart phones move in terms of technology, in a few years the missing headphone jack will be a non-issue to most consumers (hell, it might already be that way now honestly).
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #100  
    Banned

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

You have a good opinion. Thanks for the input, and please keep up with ideas. I'm at odds with negativity toward this ATM, so thanks for your understanding.

P.S. the missing jack is not a non-issue. There's more out there complaining than just the few here.... Plus those "other" phones without a jack were not high selling devices. Which is an indicator... Like said before, I could see the "7" without a jack, but the "7 Plus" (this forum BTW) has no reason to be without it IMHO. No good reason at all. There's plenty of room for it. It seems to me that Apple wanted to sell more high end wireless devices than support the end user 100%. That's not good. Many agree....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markspar.../#134c8724c4f2

https://www.techinasia.com/apples-co...adphone-change

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...hostile-stupid

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...205324013.html

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...27-gptaxb.html
    Last edited by Nargg; 09-08-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast