Just saw this on Twitter: 5 hours of listening time for those fancy schmancy wireless headphones? If you're flying overseas, just buy a second pair!
    09-07-2016 05:28 PM
    Personally - I don't care. They're including a dongle so I can use my Bose. I'm good. And if it means better sound quality, even better. THAT is what I care about.
    Just being disrespectful to Apple who is being disrespectful of me.

And if you ever need to charge your phone and use your Bose at the same time, not gonna work with Apple's solution. Plus, there is speculation that the sound quality via the dongle might be worse. Read above about the smaller DAC (digital to analog controller) because of the dongle setup.

Apple's the only company I care about when it comes to smartphones, and they are doing it. Other companies did it many years ago and were hated for using dongles for sound. Apple's original iPhone argument is that they included an audio jack in their smartphone.
    09-07-2016 05:30 PM
    Here's another thought: Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will singlehandedly create mountains of electronic waste.
    09-07-2016 05:44 PM
    @Nargg Everyone here understands that you dislike Apple's decision to remove the earphone jack. Having said that, it is a done deal. If you feel the need to not purchase the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 7 Plus, don't purchase it. With that in mind, there are those of us who don't have a problem with what Apple has done in regard to removing the earphone jack. It's not like we hadn't heard the rumors of them doing away with it for the past 9 months or so. Many of us listen to music via wire and wirelessly and we will still have that option with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. With that in mind, you dislike the "options" and you've made it clear. What you haven't done is find a majority here at iMore who agrees with you, and more than likely you won't. It doesn't mean we don't acknowledge your complaints. Some of us simply do not care about it to the same degree that you do. Nothing more.
    09-07-2016 05:46 PM

And if you ever need to charge your phone and use your Bose at the same time, not gonna work with Apple's solution. Plus, there is speculation that the sound quality via the dongle might be worse. Read above about the smaller DAC (digital to analog controller) because of the dongle setup.

Apple's the only company I care about when it comes to smartphones, and they are doing it. Other companies did it many years ago and were hated for using dongles for sound. Apple's original iPhone argument is that they included an audio jack in their smartphone.
    Considering I charge my phone once a day, for an hour before bed, somehow I think I'll survive.
    09-07-2016 06:10 PM
    Here's a humorous look at it from an audio centric web site: Apple courageously forgets to put headphone jack on new iPhones Newswire The A.V. Club
    09-07-2016 06:11 PM
    Apple's original iPhone argument is that they included an audio jack in their smartphone.
    That was 9 years ago, man. Things change and evolve.
    ladyc0524 and swarlos like this.
    09-07-2016 06:12 PM

I have never had to do this on my 6S+. Not once, and I'm a heavy listener.
    09-07-2016 06:14 PM
    Many of us listen to music via wire and wirelessly and we will still have that option with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
    But what you won't be able to do is listen via wire and charge at the same time. Plus you'll need additional equipment to do that, making it less convenient and more troublesome. Plus, it could reduce quality. I like options, very much. I dislike, as many do, when options are taken away. That's what Apple did. To a line of phones I very much liked. That's not the move of a premium device.
    09-07-2016 06:15 PM
    That was 9 years ago, man. Things change and evolve.
    Not always for the better. And, not from a company known for supporting music and sound so heavily. Steve Jobs would never had allowed this to happen. Never. Remember that time Microsoft courageously deleted the Start button?
    Last edited by Nargg; 09-07-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    dejanh likes this.
    09-07-2016 06:16 PM
    Not always for the better. And, not from a company known for supporting music and sound so heavily. Steve Jobs would never had allowed this to happen. Never.
    So what? He's not here anymore and it's no longer his company to run.
    09-07-2016 06:21 PM
    I know what you're trying to say and I completely get it. But it's called innovation. They're trying to change something that has been with us for years and replace it with something new and fresh. This is what they did with Apple Pay. They are trying to get rid of those plastic cards that we always carry around and they are gonna get it because Apple is a BIG company you know. What about the cars? It's not because it works, yes it is but in the other hand it's because no one had a genius idea to replace the actual wheels. Did someone? I don't know. If so tell me because I'm late on this.
    09-07-2016 06:22 PM
    I know what you're trying to say and I completely get it. But it's called innovation. They're trying to change something that has been with us for years and replace it with something new and fresh. This is what they did with Apple Pay. They are trying to get rid of those plastic cards that we always carry around and they are gonna get it because Apple is a BIG company you know. What about the cars? It's not because it works, yes it is but in the other hand it's because no one had a genius idea to replace the actual wheels. Did someone? I don't know. If so tell me because I'm late on this.
    It would be innovation only if they brought something better to the table. Instead, they brought "courage" and asked others to innovate. No, Apple just demonstrated that they are completely out of ideas. Quite the opposite of innovation.
    09-07-2016 06:39 PM
    But what you won't be able to do is listen via wire and charge at the same time.
    I don't care! I don't listen to music and charge the device at the same time now so there won't be an adjustment for me to make.
    Plus you'll need additional equipment to do that, making it less convenient and more troublesome.
    No I will not.
    Plus, it could reduce quality.
    "Could" is not the same as "will".
    I like options, very much. I dislike, as many do, when options are taken away. That's what Apple did.
    I remember when I could drive up to a gas station and have the attendant pump my gas, check the oil level and wipe my windshield clean. I "disliked" the transition from full service to self service. Now, I understand how much better self service is and I appreciate the transition. Change is inevitable, whether we like it or not.
    To a line of phones I very much liked. That's not the move of a premium device.
    You're right. It's not. It's the move of a billion dollar company who happens to sell the most acclaimed smartphone in all the world. Anyway, you're clearly not open to accepting a disagreeing viewpoint so with that I'll say, "have a good evening"...
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 09-07-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    09-07-2016 06:48 PM
    They also missed out on Wireless Charging. Where's that? They added stuff nobody really asked for specifically, seriously, who asked for a new proprietary wireless audio device and who asked for dual cameras? Yet, they missed or deleted stuff some folks did specifically ask for.
    09-07-2016 06:51 PM
    You're right. It's not. It's the move of a billion dollar company who happens to sell the most acclaimed smartphone in all the world. Anyway, you're clearly not open to accepting an disagreeing viewpoint so with that I'll say, "have a good evening"...
    You have a good evening too. Thanks for your input.
    09-07-2016 06:52 PM
    At some point Charlie Brown's teacher starts to play a part...heh
    09-07-2016 06:56 PM
    Steve Jobs would never had allowed this to happen. Never.
    Did you know him?
    09-07-2016 07:01 PM
    09-07-2016 07:05 PM
    You know apple isn't the first one to do this right ? There are a couple of android devices that removed headphone jack. Time to move on bro
    09-07-2016 07:30 PM
    You know apple isn't the first one to do this right ? There are a couple of android devices that removed headphone jack. Time to move on bro
    I heard they're doing really well too. Moto Z has just been killing it.

Edit: Android has a sea of devices. If you don't like Android A you get Android B. Just like that, majority gave the Moto Z the middle finger like everyone expected they would and went with oh-well-any-other-choice. With Apple its bang or bust. You either accept the change or abandon ship. Since I firmly believe that Apple needs a shake-up, I'm hoping that this will be the catalyst. The company has gone a bit out of control as of late and completely lost touch with its roots.
    09-07-2016 07:35 PM
    The Lightning to Headphone adaptor will be available separately for $9. Saw that on another site.
    09-07-2016 07:48 PM
    I had a busy morning so for the first time in ages, I missed the keynote. I followed up on it a few minutes ago, took me a while to get through the presentation. Here are my thoughts related to the topic in this thread.

1. Dongle provided by Apple looks terrible - a couple of Apple reviewers who are big Apple product fans said so as well. The Chinese vendors are going to have a bonanza making these and variants thereof.
    2. Charging and playing audio in an older car without an aux jack is going to be interesting. Both my cars do not have an aux jack or BT. The playing music part can be sorted out via the dongle but charging and playing music is going to be an issue. And I am not going to run out and purchase a far more expensive item so that I can listen to music via BT using the newer iPhone.
    3. Air Pods for $159? No thanks. 5 hours on a single charge ergo you are out of luck on a flight from LA to Miami or for that matter any transoceanic flight. Definitely a fail especially for the price. Just because it uses a proprietary pairing standard doesn't mean the Air Pods get a free pass.
    libra89 and ladyc0524 like this.
    09-07-2016 08:00 PM
    The Lightning to Headphone adaptor will be available separately for $9. Saw that on another site.
    $9 that one did not have to spend last year or $9 every time a dongle is lost or misplaced...
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    09-07-2016 08:01 PM
    Apple is GIVING AWAY adapters with the iPhone7... Sheesh...
    It ruins the simplicity of just plugging the headphones into a built in port. I know that I wouldn't be the only one that wouldn't able to listen to music just because I forgot my dongle somewhere...
    dejanh likes this.
    09-07-2016 09:58 PM
333 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";