LOL what does "gate" have to do with it.

You are a consumer. 1 person. It does not make it a Global issue for hardware.
    09-07-2016 03:14 PM
    Wait, who said anything about perfect?...You do have options as well.
    It appears to me just someone else to find a reason to complain about something.
    Again, the dongle sucks. I've been there, done that. The other name I considered for this thread was "Donglegate"
    09-07-2016 03:14 PM

Check on Twitter. Lots of angry folks on this. I'm among Apple zealots here, so sure I'm few in numbers *here* I get that. I'm, or at least I was, a big iPhone fan. This cuts me to the heart. I switched to iPhone 2 years ago and loved the audio jack, yes that was a major reason for the switch _to_ iPhone back then. Now Apple removes one of my favorite features, and for no arguable reason IMHO. I see their excuses as very flawed.
    Last edited by Nargg; 09-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    09-07-2016 03:15 PM
    I could careless what people are saying any where. It's a mute point. They removed it. Nothing is going to change. Things are not for the worst. Those $10 headphones will only work with a adapter, big woop.

It's funny year after year, when Apple releases something, there is good. But ANY time something is removed, holy heck the world flips upside down.

It will be ok.
    09-07-2016 03:17 PM
    My issue is that I use my phone as my GPS unit in my car, and I connect it to the car's speakers through a 3.5mm to 3.5mm plug. I also charge it through the lightning connector to the 12v socket as Waze sucks a lot of juice from my phone. My car is not equipped with Bluetooth or wireless speakers, so those options are useless for me in this situation.

I don't think an adapter can cope with both of those but I would dearly love to be proved wrong, of course.

In my car, if a manufacturer does produce a suitable adapter, it would be fine as that can permanently stay in situ. Whilst walking about though, an adapter is just another thing to get lost, so i'm less pleased.

Honestly, switching from 3.5mm jack to lightning, I doubt the audio fidelity will be increased enough for the average listener to notice any actual difference... I expect one leading reason for jack removal is to reclaim space inside the case.

Over the coming weeks, I shall keep my ears open for any news of an adapter that will allow me to charge my phone and also let me use a 3.5mm jack. If none is forthcoming, I shall switch my phone to Android and go on my merry way.

As I have said many times on here, I swear no allegiance to any manufacturer. I am neither an iSheep nor a Fandroid and will use whichever phone best suits my requirements. It may be that my love affair with the iPhone is at an end.

Time will tell.
    09-07-2016 03:19 PM
    Shouldn't be long for accessory makers to come out with options... I can see a dash holder of some sort with lightning charging and a jack to plug your existing connector cable into..
    09-07-2016 03:32 PM
    Shouldn't be long for accessory makers to come out with options... I can see a dash holder of some sort with lightning charging and a jack to plug your existing connector cable into..
    I really hope so, mate.

Honestly, this issue notwithstanding, I really WANT an iPhone 7 plus.

It's worth adding that out here in the USA, my car has Carplay, so it's not an issue here. Back in the UK, my car only has a 3.5mm jack in the stereo and no bluetooth as it's old. I spend a lot of my time in both countries.
    09-07-2016 03:36 PM
    Happy to hear about the adaptor option. I'm not going to be getting a 7, because I just got the 6s for Christmas. However, my Subaru has an Aux jac that I happily plug my phone into to enjoy my itunes. As I'll most probably end up with a new iPhone before a new car, the adaptor will be a very welcome option.

And hopefully, once you all have your new phones, you'll love this new option, and not be so disappointed. But then I'm always an optimistic Pollyanna sort!
    09-07-2016 03:40 PM

It doesn't. It's someone who is making a mountain over a molehill.
    Tartarus and Evilguppy like this.
    09-07-2016 03:47 PM
    I love the new wireless audio options on the iPhone 7.
    Me, too.
    However, removing the audio jack was not courageous. It was stupid and greedy of Apple to try to change the World to their narrow vision in this manor.
    I disagree. Not only did Apple give you a way to continue using your corded headphones, it also gave those of us who are interested in the new AirPods a chance to experience them.
    You know, the wheel was invented centuries ago, but cars still use it. Know why? Because it works.
    Oil has been used for thousands of years and yet, some people are trying to force us to use something else.
    I've used smart phones with dongles for audio jacks before, and those stink. Looks like I'll be saving money this year and waiting for Apple to come to their senses on the 7s.
    I suppose you won't be buying another iPhone then because we've seen the end of the analog earphone jack on the iPhone for the foreseeable future.
    09-07-2016 03:48 PM
    Honestly, switching from 3.5mm jack to lightning, I doubt the audio fidelity will be increased enough for the average listener to notice any actual difference... I expect one leading reason for jack removal is to reclaim space inside the case.
    Time will tell.
    I actually have a concern that audio quality will decrease from the adapter, as who knows what functions they removed from the circuitry in the phone to the adapter, and at what quality loss? That's just speculation right now as we've not seen the folks who love to dig into the hardware tear down the units yet...

Time will tell, yes...
    09-07-2016 03:51 PM
    Me, too. I disagree. Not only did Apple give you a way to continue using your corded headphones, it also gave those of us who are interested in the new AirPods a chance to experience them.
    That is a problem, that "option" is a blast from the past, not a move forward. Smart phones didn't have audio jacks way back when they first hit the scene. Most of them used dongles. (Do a Google on "HTC Audio Dongle") They sucked then, they suck now. There is no reason why Apple couldn't have done the wireless option AS WELL AS the audio jack. No reason at all.
    09-07-2016 03:53 PM
    @Nargg - you wont find any sympathizers here. You will either run into Apple apologists or those who are clueless about the difference between quality audio and EarPods. Removing the headphone jack is a pure profit move that wont result in anything but more fragmentation and proliferation of crappy wireless audio equipment. The high-end manufactures will just continue to pump out headphones with 3.5mm plugs or adapters for either Apple Lightning or USB-C. Consumer will be saddled for paying extra for all of those (look at Sine series from Audeze, $100 more for the Apple Lightning cable with Cipher and still no ability to charge). Pathetic.
    09-07-2016 04:06 PM
    One point I'd like to make is, I've been on the iOS 10 beta. Sure beta and all, problems are expected. But the only real problem I've seen is with poor Bluetooth performance, and connection problems. Doesn't bode well for what Apple wants to do here... Just saying.
    09-07-2016 04:06 PM
    Because you're a complainer and whining over something that is progress. Whether you see it or not. If Apple backtracks and returns the jack on the iPhone 8, I'll come back and eat my words. But it's not going to happen. Wah, I don't like dongles. Wah, Apple is being greedy. Wah, for the sake of wahing. Run your mouth and keep posting about your displeasure. You're the minority so far.
    So, you're complaining about my complaining? You go boy!
    duckduckgoose likes this.
    09-07-2016 04:07 PM
    Because you're a complainer and whining over something that is progress. Whether you see it or not. If Apple backtracks and returns the jack on the iPhone 8, I'll come back and eat my words. But it's not going to happen. Wah, I don't like dongles. Wah, Apple is being greedy. Wah, for the sake of wahing. Run your mouth and keep posting about your displeasure. You're the minority so far.
    Great points dejahn. There's been a few sympathizers though, surprisingly.
    09-07-2016 04:08 PM
    That is a problem, that "option" is a blast from the past, not a move forward. Smart phones didn't have audio jacks way back when they first hit the scene. Most of them used dongles. (Do a Google on "HTC Audio Dongle") They sucked then, they suck now. There is no reason why Apple couldn't have done the wireless option AS WELL AS the audio jack. No reason at all.
    Sure, they could have, but they didn't, and in a few weeks, nobody is even going to care. They're going to sell millions of new iPhones, and a good deal of AirPods when released and those who do not opt to use the included lightning EarPods will use either their current or a different brand of Bluetooth earphone or they will use the included analog to lightning adapter and go about their business.
    09-07-2016 04:10 PM
    I understand why they removed the headphone jack. That being said, to call it courage is complete BS. That's not courage.
    09-07-2016 04:19 PM
    I'll just leave this here...

Apple killed the headphone jack so it could resurrect the Bluetooth headset - The Verge
    https://apple.news/A36JC2TcKRj-1tt4Svj39ag
    09-07-2016 04:22 PM
    Just going to need to be very attentive with telecoms. Phones gotta stay charged, buds have to stay in. Will be a change to my routine since i typically charge my phone during teleconferences since it just sits there.
    09-07-2016 04:34 PM
    I'll just leave this here...

Apple killed the headphone jack so it could resurrect the Bluetooth headset - The Verge
    https://apple.news/A36JC2TcKRj-1tt4Svj39ag
    Resurrect a currently growing industry already? Interesting....

Here's another Verge post for others here to think about: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...hostile-stupid
    Last edited by Nargg; 09-07-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    09-07-2016 04:41 PM
    Just going to need to be very attentive with telecoms. Phones gotta stay charged, buds have to stay in. Will be a change to my routine since i typically charge my phone during teleconferences since it just sits there.
    That's a good point, how do you listen to wired headphones and charge at the same time? I'm sure solution will come out, but not from Apple so far. And, added cost once again.

I often use my iPhone in a car with audio, not all vehicles I drive have Bluetooth so wired it is. (yes, many of them are rentals...) And, while using the GPS guided maps to get to destinations I don't go to often, or have not been yet I need to keep it plugged into a charging cable. So basically that scenario is shot. Thanks Apple.
    Last edited by Nargg; 09-07-2016 at 05:23 PM.
    09-07-2016 04:42 PM
    See, I'm not even coming at this from a position of somebody who needs the headphone jack. I have an AudioQuest Dragonfly Red that I use with the USB 3.0 adapter to both charge the iPhone and listen to my headphones. This was so far reserved for those moments when I really want to get serious about my audio quality. Even from this position, the decision to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack is so, so stupid that it trully boggles the mind. Apple's premise is rooted in a falsehood - that somehow the existence of the 3.5mm jack was holding back wireless audio development. No, in fact there is no known evidence of this. Over-reliance on a bad standard (Bluetooth) and the generall perception that MP3 (like) music is "good enough" is what is holding back the wireless headphone development. Without any evidence, that is a much more logical position to take. Manufacturers will always take the cheapest, easiest to implement tech that is passable to the target market and implement it. That's how 99.99% of companies out there think and work.

All we will see as a result of this is a proliferation of more bad audio tech, whether wireless or wired via Lightning (crappy DACs anyone?)
    09-07-2016 05:02 PM
    I understand why they removed the headphone jack. That being said, to call it courage is complete BS. That's not courage.
    I listened to all the reasons Apple put out (not the B.S. from zealots agreeing with them.) Looking at the diagrams in Apple's presentation, it seems to me that the final straw that made Apple do this move is they wanted a large haptic engine. Not sure why they couldn't make the haptic engine 20% smaller and still have the audio jack in the Plus. I could see no headphone jack on the smaller 7, but not on the 7 Plus.

Ballsy, yes. Courage? No, they used that word badly and for an excuse, not a reason. I agree with you there.
    AustinIllini likes this.
    09-07-2016 05:20 PM
    For those that don't care, there is no reason to be arrogant or disrespectful of those that want options. For those that would still love to more easily use an expensive set of headphones for better audio quality. Or, to be able to have phone conversations or record memos without the need to worry about what the battery life is on a pair of Bluetooth or the new wireless ear buds. We, have had our options reduced. Yes, this is something to get worked up about. This argument was loud and strong before on smartphones before the iPhone that didn't have audio jacks. And, it once again needs to be loud and strong.
    Except you also sound arrogant and disrespectful. Sorry, it's your tone too.

Personally - I don't care. They're including a dongle so I can use my Bose. I'm good. And if it means better sound quality, even better. THAT is what I care about.

You're acting like they're the only company doing it. They aren't the first, they won't be the last.
    Xm_jdm and Annie_i6s like this.
    09-07-2016 05:26 PM
333 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD