Battery drain and personal hotspot - correlation!

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Good morning

Today my iPhone 6s which was replaced earlier this year for battery drain has started exhibiting chronic drain again. The common thing between this phone and the previous phone was that the day before the drain showed the phone was used as a personal hotspot for a prolonged period of time.

I mentioned this to Apple when they swapped it and they said that wouldn't be the case but the same thing happened with my first 6s which was replaced under warranty by Apple. And as if that's not bad enough the same thing happened on my 5s which was replaced under warranty by Apple. And the same thing happened on my 4s which I just upgraded as it was out of warranty.

All of those phones started exhibiting rapid battery drain the day after being used a personal hotspot for my laptop and now my current phone is doing the same.

Anyone else ever noticed this? Anyone else ever suffered with it.

Four iPhones now have all exhibited exactly the same behaviour the immediate day after being used as a personal hotspot so it can't just be a one off!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use personal hotspot quite regularly for long periods of time and my battery performs exactly the same as normal.

I'm afraid there is something else going on with your battery.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Something else going with 4 different iPhones that have all suffered battery drain immediately following prolonged use of personal hotspot?

That's surely too much coincidence?

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you use the hotspot by the way? Wired or via BT/WiFi?

Like I said, I have been using hotspot since the beginning and never had any issues.

It's best to contact http://support.apple.com about this.

Thank you. When I've raised the issue with Apple when it happened to my original 6S they denied any connection to the Personal Hotspot but it's happened to four phones now so it can't not be connected somehow.

I came here to find out if I was alone in this but there's only you replied so far so it's a 50/50 split.

I use it either via Wi-Fi or tethered via the genuine apple charge/data lead.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It happened to my 6s Plus running 10.3.3 dev beta 1, even when the hotspot was turned off. Once I stopped using my device as a hotspot, it returned to normal after a few days. I never had any issues with my 7 Plus running general release 10.3.1

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using my 7 Plus (Latest Dev Beta) as a Hotspot with my 2015 MacBook Pro (wired), and I haven't noticed any difference with my battery drainage.