Blank screen for a few seconds then return to home screen...has anyone experienced this?

truckingdude

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I switched to an iPhone 6s about a year ago, from android. So it's been a learning experience.

About a couple days ago, I've started noticing a wired glitch, I'm guessing. While I'm on Facebook or YouTube for awhile and a couple times while playing a game, the screen blanks out for a few seconds, then returns to the home screen. I can still go back to Facebook or YouTube or the game.

Is this a symptom or a problem of the battery or is it a glitch? I have not had the phone shutdown when the battery is low or anything.

I'm considering doing a restore. I've done a restore on a couple of old iPod nanos before, but this time it would be the first time on an iPhone. So I'm a little hesitant on doing the restore.

What is the 'checklist' I need to do before I do a restore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
System restore is like a LAST thing to try. Couple of earlier things, of course and you MAY have already done this a phone reboot or "hard reset" That is hold down the home button and power at the same time for about 10 seconds or until you see the Apple logo. (or Power and Volume down for those of us on iPhone7/7+), Also try resetting the phone's network settings, this WILL wipe out your WiFI & bluetooth settings BUT that's easy enough to fix, BUT might just fix your problem. Go to Settings, then General, then Reset, THEN Reset Network Settings, enter your PIN and let it run. This will NOT wipe your phone, JUST your Wifi, bluetooth, etc Then restart the phone and monitor. IF it's still happening, then try deleting and reinstalling the apps that are causing the issue. And then finally if all else fails, reset the phone, and restore from iCloud or iTunes backup.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
System restore is like a LAST thing to try. Couple of earlier things, of course and you MAY have already done this a phone reboot or "hard reset" That is hold down the home button and power at the same time for about 10 seconds or until you see the Apple logo. (or Power and Volume down for those of us on iPhone7/7+), Also try resetting the phone's network settings, this WILL wipe out your WiFI & bluetooth settings BUT that's easy enough to fix, BUT might just fix your problem. Go to Settings, then General, then Reset, THEN Reset Network Settings, enter your PIN and let it run. This will NOT wipe your phone, JUST your Wifi, bluetooth, etc Then restart the phone and monitor. IF it's still happening, then try deleting and reinstalling the apps that are causing the issue. And then finally if all else fails, reset the phone, and restore from iCloud or iTunes backup.

My Bluetooth settings have never been affected by Reset Network Settings.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I agree with the others, try a hard reset first. If that doesn't work then you'll want to rule out an issue caused by corrupted system files. Perform an encrypted backup and reset the device as new. Before restoring your encrypted backup, run the phone for a day or two and see if you still have the issue. If you do then it's more than likely a hardware issue, and in that case you would need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple store. If the issue was fixed with a reset, then restore your encrypted backup (apps, passwords, health data,, call logs, text messages, phone settings are all restored).

dasting

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
I think it's nothing to wrong about, I used to use Android device and usually got system stuck or random restart problems. But everything seems ok after I restart the device. I also have similar problems such as screen stuck when I use Facebook or YouTube in iPhone 7 (iOS 10.2), my friends and colleague also have this kind of problems. But when I get back to Home screen then open the app again, everything is OK.
YouTube have no need to worry about if the problem doesn't influence your daily use. Every system have more or less bugs, iOS is already very good. We have all iOS device in my office, from 4 to 7 Plus.

truckingdude

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I always figure there are gonna be bugs, regardless of device or OS. Up until now my phone has been running fine. Like you said, I can restart Facebook or YouTube and go back to what I was watching with no problem. It does brother me a tiny tiny bit, but I can live with it for now.

truckingdude

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I've never experienced this issue with my iPhone 6s, and I've had it since late September 2015. Did you try a hard reset?

I have tried a hard reset a couple of times, also uninstalling and reinstalling Facebook and YouTube. Still does it, it bothers me a tiny tiny bit, but it's ok for now. Might do a backup and restore it, in the future. But I don't know.

truckingdude

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I agree with the others, try a hard reset first. If that doesn't work then you'll want to rule out an issue caused by corrupted system files. Perform an encrypted backup and reset the device as new. Before restoring your encrypted backup, run the phone for a day or two and see if you still have the issue. If you do then it's more than likely a hardware issue, and in that case you would need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple store. If the issue was fixed with a reset, then restore your encrypted backup (apps, passwords, health data,, call logs, text messages, phone settings are all restored).

Have a question...after the backup and then running it to see if that problem still happens, do I run it without installing any apps and before the restore?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Have a question...after the backup and then running it to see if that problem still happens, do I run it without installing any apps and before the restore?

Yes, you want to test for the issue on a newly set up phone, before you do a restore of your backup. ;)

truckingdude

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Update:

I haven't done any type of restore on my 6s. Since the posting of this thread, I updated to iOS 10.3 and I have not had the screen blackout, while on Facebook or YouTube or playing a game.

Weird that the screen blackout would happen like a couple weeks before the 10.3 update and then everything is back to normal.

Thankful for all your responses, will keep them in mind if I have another problem or I will post again. Once again, thank you everyone for your help!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro