Inordinate Battery Drain

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
So, I noticed maybe back in December that my iPhone's battery is not like it used to be. I used to be able to put the phone down for the night with Wi-Fi turned on and lose 3-7% battery overnight at most. Sometime around December or early January, I started noticing it would lose over 10% overnight, which is very unusual for my phone. So, I started turning Wi-Fi off overnight and would see only a 3% loss the next morning when I picked up my phone. Last night, I didn't do that. It was 80% when I put it down for the night. This morning, my battery was at 63% - yikes! But it doesn't stop there. My boyfriend and I went out for lunch this afternoon and I didn't charge my phone before we left. Battery was 54% and we walked for 15 minutes tops before we got to the restaurant. When I took my phone out, the battery was 42%! I couldn't believe it! I turned off my data and decided to put Low Power Mode on. I noticed the 42% battery around 1:30. Three hours later, with Low Power Mode still on, the battery is still at 42%.

The weird thing is that even though my 6s is eligible for the battery replacement, it's never shut down unexpectedly or anything. Sometime last week, I was even watching a show on YouTube when the battery was around 24%, and it reached 20% by the end of it (it lasted around 20 minutes). No shutdown or anything. I'm so disheartened by what I've seen today, though. Anyone else experiencing something like that with their iPhone 6s? This is a record because my battery has never drained like this, ever.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Batteries deteriorate as they accumulate more charge cycles. If you bought the phone on or near launch day, it's now been about 16 months. That said, what is listed as the most draining apps in settings / battery? Maybe you have an app that is running in the background when it shouldn't?

Just do the battery replacement. You'll have a brand new battery and I bet the discharge rate will be back to what you are expecting. And BTW just plug in your phone overnight to charge while you sleep. It will not hurt your battery to leave it on the charger, and it will give you a fully charged battery in the morning.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey there. I generally had good battery life with my 6s, and never experienced anything like that.

My mom, otoh, had issues like what you described above. She never said it shut down completely, but she would suddenly lose 10% or more over a short period of time. Her 6s was eligible for the replacement program. She took advantage of the program, made an appointment, and the issues have resolved.

I would start with the replacement program, especially if you live reasonably close to an Apple Store. There are also the traditional tricks like turning the phone off and then back on, resetting all settings, or restoring as a new device (but losing data) if you would rather not bother with the program.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Doogald's suggestion to check battery usage (>settings>battery) is the best place to start. You'll discover what's running in the background.

If your wifi signal is steady, turning it off on the phone shouldn't matter much. What can really burn battery is the phone constantly seeking a wifi signal, which is why it helps a lot to turn it off if you know you won't be around wifi. What's your cell signal like? Is it possible you're burning battery searching for a solid cell signal?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My phone is actually 16 months old (as of January 29th). I started noticing an issue a little while before that but attributed it to updating to iOS 10.1.1 or 10.2 (I was running one or the other when this started). Two months ago, I could put the phone down at night at around 88 or 86% with Wi-Fi enabled and still have 82% battery the next morning. I usually only really need to charge every other night.

My Wi-Fi signal is usually strong, although the cell signal frequently has only one or two bars at home (I see two at the moment). Hmm, looks like the Fitbit app is eating up 46% of my battery right now. It usually is only around 1 or 2%, if I remember correctly.

I did just order an iPhone SE as a backup phone, so once I get that, I'll be going ahead with the battery replacement at the Apple Store and use the SE while waiting for the 6s. I do have one walking distance away from me, so that will be easy enough. Thanks for the replies!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My phone is actually 16 months old (as of January 29th). I started noticing an issue a little while before that but attributed it to updating to iOS 10.1.1 or 10.2 (I was running one or the other when this started). Two months ago, I could put the phone down at night at around 88 or 86% with Wi-Fi enabled and still have 82% battery the next morning. I usually only really need to charge every other night.

My Wi-Fi signal is usually strong, although the cell signal frequently has only one or two bars at home (I see two at the moment). Hmm, looks like the Fitbit app is eating up 46% of my battery right now. It usually is only around 1 or 2%, if I remember correctly.

I did just order an iPhone SE as a backup phone, so once I get that, I'll be going ahead with the battery replacement at the Apple Store and use the SE while waiting for the 6s. I do have one walking distance away from me, so that will be easy enough. Thanks for the replies!

Anytime I can catch an app go rogue that way, I swipe it out of multitasking. Then do a hard reset. Then when I use the app again, it does better.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Batteries last longer with more small charges than fewer large charges. It's really better to charge every day. There is no "memory effect" with the lithium based batteries in phones, as there is with other types of older rechargeable battery types (NiCad, NiMH).

That seems excessive. The repair took an hour for me. Spending that much for an hour?

I agree with Ledsteplin's advice as well about the Fitbit app.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Batteries last longer with more small charges than fewer large charges. It's really better to charge every day. There is no "memory effect" with the lithium based batteries in phones, as there is with other types of older rechargeable battery types (NiCad, NiMH).

That seems excessive. The repair took an hour for me. Spending that much for an hour?

I agree with Ledsteplin's advice as well about the Fitbit app.

Not at all. I wanted an appropriate backup phone anyway (not only for when I get the battery replaced in my 6s), and it had to be an iPhone and I wanted something with band 12. I gave my iPhone 5s to my mom, and using my ancient iPhone 4 is out of the question. I spent under $300, so I don't consider it excessive at all.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. I wanted an appropriate backup phone anyway (not only for when I get the battery replaced in my 6s), and it had to be an iPhone and I wanted something with band 12. I gave my iPhone 5s to my mom, and using my ancient iPhone 4 is out of the question. I spent under $300, so I don't consider it excessive at all.

I have an SE as my backup phone as well. Def get the battery replaced if you're eligible. How has battery been since you've killed off Fitbit app? Is it any better?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have an SE as my backup phone as well. Def get the battery replaced if you're eligible. How has battery been since you've killed off Fitbit app? Is it any better?

It was odd. When I did that (I also killed my Messages app because it was taking up over 30%), the battery drained 3% once the phone booted back up. I kept it on Low Power Mode for the rest of the night until it reached 20% and then I plugged it into the charger. But at least it took a few hours before it got that low. Today, it seems better for sure. I took the phone off the charger at 9am and five hours later, it's at 94%. Everything seems normal now.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It was odd. When I did that (I also killed my Messages app because it was taking up over 30%), the battery drained 3% once the phone booted back up. I kept it on Low Power Mode for the rest of the night until it reached 20% and then I plugged it into the charger. But at least it took a few hours before it got that low. Today, it seems better for sure. I took the phone off the charger at 9am and five hours later, it's at 94%. Everything seems normal now.

That's good to hear! I'd still get the battery replaced if I were you.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's official - I got my 6s' battery replaced earlier today at my local Apple Store. I was a little irked that they got rid of my tempered glass screen protector (grr...), but no biggie since I have a few more. I was a little apprehensive to go ahead with this for awhile since I thought the restore would be a huge headache, but it was an absolute breeze. Also nice to have 7GB more storage available than before the restore. :yes:

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi there my battery too is not performing well and I belong to Pakistan. Can anybody tell me if I do not have access to Apple Store how can I get my battery replaced.
Thank you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox