What is the best offline GPS App?

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would like to replace my gps with my iPhone but I want to use a totally stored on device GPS map database because I don't want to worry about data usage. Anybody recommend one?

Thanks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best Offline GPS App

Use Google Maps in that case. You can save maps offline, on your device
That will still need data to use... There are multiple apps available that store their maps and point of info databases on device... Garmin's Navigon app is one I use and it performs as well or better than the last stand-alone GPSr I have...a Garmin Nuvi 750.

n2dxchacko

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Best Offline GPS App

I have seen that if you are traveling to places, let the maps on the phone fully get the directions. Then you could turn cellular off and it will still tell you which road to take even though it is offline. Only reason I know this is because, I drive to upstate NY and it has spotty coverage with my service but GPS still works fine.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have used CoPilot on Windows Phone and Android Phones. It allows you to download maps and doesn't need data or WiFi to use. I like it a lot.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Garmin N America is one of the best. Maps etc downloaded and stored on your phone. Comparable to their stand alone units, but it costs a few bucks Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

anon(10100741)

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Garmin N America is one of the best. Maps etc downloaded and stored on your phone. Comparable to their stand alone units, but it costs a few bucks Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I second this. I had the Garmin North America app for a while, and it has come in real handy when I traveled to places with poor service/reception or no service at all. It does, however, take up at least 5GB of space to install the full offline map and voice functionality. Also, I want to note that Garmin still updates the app for bugs once in a blue moon, so it still retains some usability for today and possibly the future.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
We've tried several, even ones listed in this thread, and still find our Garmin GPS better than anything we could install on our phones.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
We've tried several, even ones listed in this thread, and still find our Garmin GPS better than anything we could install on our phones.

You mean the Garmin app? Yes, it's just like the standalone units like the Nuvi etc. Used it all over including Canada and Hawaii.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You mean the Garmin app?

No, the Garmin device. It works better than any app I've put on my phone.

We actually have two GPS units. The one built into the dashboard of our SuV, but the dealership wants too much money to update the maps which is why we bought the Garmin. Free map updates.

We also do a fair bit of traveling so we take the Garmin with us. Keeps the cost down on rental cars when we don't have to get one with a GPS.

Last edited:

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I use Here WeGo! for across town or camping trips for "offline" navigation. You can download Provinces, States, Countries or entire Continents. For example, including the app plus all of Canada it uses 2.4GB. 😎

dollface

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Genius Maps by Mireo, which is a free app. But I bought the Pro Guidance feature which permanently enables turn-by-turn voice and visual instructions, lane assistance, speed alerts and automatic re-routing all in off-line use. You can download maps for US, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands as part of the price (I think it was $29.95 for life) and it has 3D maps and buildings, very cool

pat100

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
I’d second free Here We Go (With Surfer Dude voice!) for SatNav
For walking, stored maps from free openandromaps.org have contours and footpaths and are pretty fantastic.
You need a viewer. I’d recommend free Vectorial map Lite from the App Store.
For iOS, your sequence would be: Install Vectorial map Lite then choose a map from openandromaps.org in a browser and unzip it and send the .map file to Vectorial map Lite

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73