Deleting Pictures on Icloud and 6S

doniP6S

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I've looked and haven't found an answer so perhaps you could help.
If I try to delete a picture from my phone it says it will also delete it from my icloud (where my pictures are backed up). Is there any way around this?
Also, if I have a picture saved on Icloud and want to delete it, it says it will delete it from all devices.
Is there any way to delete pictures on the cloud or phone and not have it affect the the other device?
Thank you.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The short answer is "no". iCloud is designed to sync your photos with your devices, not back them up per se. If you'd like to store your photos in the cloud but not locally in your device(s), your best bet is to use a third party backup service like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. If you happen to have an Amazon Prime membership, Amazon offers unlimited photo storage through its Amazon Photos app.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No - iCloud photo library syncs your photos across your devices. So if you delete it, it's gone. If you really want to save it, maybe email it to yourself, or if you have a Mac, save it in Photos (though if you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on your Mac, it will already sync, and ultimately delete)

edit: looks like Rob was typing faster than me ;)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, rather than using iCloud Photo Library, you could use "upload to my photo stream" to get photos to other devices, though you'll have to remember to download them (within 30 days). Photos deleted from the device or the photo stream do not get deleted to other locations where they are imported. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

And then, rather than using iCloud Photo Library, use another service like Flickr, Google Photos, Dropbox, etc, to back up your photos.

doniP6S

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all very much for the quick response. I do have Amazon Prime so I will check out that option for saving my pics. I think I also have dropbox but really haven't used that so I will look at that option also. I went with the 16gb Iphone 6S rather than the 64gb so now I'm scrambling.
Again, I thank you all for the info

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox does have a nice auto upload feature for photos (you can set for wifi only to save data).

What I like about Flickr is that they give you 1 TB of storage for no charge and also a setting to not use cellular; what I like about Google Photos is that they will upload high quality versions of your photos at no limit, can also be limited to not using cellular, and Google Photos has unbelievably good search and very good "assistant" features, many of which Apple's photos apps are just starting to copy.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I opted to buy a MyCloud from WD, which allows me to auto upload and back up and store all my photos across all my i-devices in one place I can limit to only Wi-Fi. It is only the cost of buying the MyCloud and I can also time machine backup and restore my MacBook Pro.

doniP6S

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I did go with the Google Photo because I couldn't get the Amazon Photo to work correctly, it kept putting all my pictures in the video folder and that is limited to 5 gigs and even working with Amazon we couldn't figure it out... and Drop box also had a limit to just a couple of gigs. The Google works great but once again, when I tried to delete a photo out of Google Photos, it also took it off my Iphone as well. Same thing when I took it off the Iphone. It looks like I may have to do the additional storage through Icloud at .99 a month.

doniP6S

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
yes doogald....I was going through them on a larger screen on my laptop rather than the Iphone and when I wanted to delete a picture it brought up a message to the affect that all the devices associated will also have that picture deleted. Does that answer what and how you were asking that?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
yes doogald....I was going through them on a larger screen on my laptop rather than the Iphone and when I wanted to delete a picture it brought up a message to the affect that all the devices associated will also have that picture deleted. Does that answer what and how you were asking that?

I just deleted a photo taken on my iPhone that was synced to Google Photos. When I deleted the photo from Google Photos on the web, it deleted it from the photos on the Google Photo app on my phone - but it did *not* delete the photo from my phone's photo library (in the stock Photo app.)

If I go to the Assistant tab on the Google Photos app, it shows me the photo that was deleted and is asking me if I want to sync deletes. Since I don't, I just dismissed the card. The photo remains in my library.

It's strange that the same is not true for you.

All the same, the idea is that Google Photos is your backup. Why delete photos from the backup?

doniP6S

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you doogald I will look at that issue once again. I was giving my first indication of what was happening and that was all. As far as deleting a photo from the backup, that was done to see if it was going to do the exact same thing as icloud had done and since I had two identical photos it wasn't going to create an issue. I normally don't delete photos from a backup source.