Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mikelucas0756
  • 2 Post By scruffypig
  • 2 Post By Quis89
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    leah_lamar's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Hey all,

    I am trying to totally eliminate iTunes from my iPhone experience. I have my iPhone to an almost perfect place right now. I only have one step left, and that's backing up. Is there an app that will create like a full copy of my iPhone, and could restore it if necessary? It needs to get all of my music (include the added music), I would also like it to backup pics, movies and messages if possible.

    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. #2  
    mikelucas0756's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Why dont you want to use itunes? Almost everything could be done via itunes, such as updating, syncing, restoring, backup etc.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    leah_lamar's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelucas0756 View Post
    Why dont you want to use itunes? Almost everything could be done via itunes, such as updating, syncing, restoring, backup etc.
    I really dislike iTunes and the whole closed attitude Apple has about the iPhone. If I want to add music to my phone, I don't want to be locked to one computer - I want to add some songs from my PC before I leave on a trip, but also have the option to add songs from my MacBook while traveling.
  4. #4  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    565 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    I really dislike iTunes and the whole closed attitude Apple has about the iPhone. If I want to add music to my phone, I don't want to be locked to one computer - I want to add some songs from my PC before I leave on a trip, but also have the option to add songs from my MacBook while traveling.
    If it weren't for Apple, there wouldn't be an iPhone.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    Hey all,

    I am trying to totally eliminate iTunes from my iPhone experience. I have my iPhone to an almost perfect place right now. I only have one step left, and that's backing up. Is there an app that will create like a full copy of my iPhone, and could restore it if necessary? It needs to get all of my music (include the added music), I would also like it to backup pics, movies and messages if possible.

    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    You mean aside from iCloud, which backs all that stuff up wirelessly? Aside from that, I don't believe such a solution exists with the iPhone.
  6. #6  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,361 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    I really dislike iTunes
    So did I until I learned how to use it properly. Not being a smart-mouth, I'm being totally and completely sincere.

    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    and the whole closed attitude Apple has about the iPhone.
    I use to feel the same way. The 6s is my first iPhone. Every Android device I've ever owned I have rooted it and installed custom ROMs. After learning a bit more about the iPhone I've come to realize that it's one of the most secure phones on the market. I like the lengths Apple will go to in order to keep my information as safe as possible.


    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    If I want to add music to my phone, I don't want to be locked to one computer - I want to add some songs from my PC before I leave on a trip, but also have the option to add songs from my MacBook while traveling.
    There's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing so if you're using iTunes. We have several Windows PC's in our house, several Windows laptops, and a new Macbook Pro. We can add music to our iPhones from any of those. I fought with iTunes and my iPhone for a month before I finally figured out how to use iTunes the right way. Of course, Apple does not make using it easy either, but once you figure it out the light bulb that goes off is larger than the Empire State Building.
  7. #7  
    doogald's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    261 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,515 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    I really dislike iTunes and the whole closed attitude Apple has about the iPhone. If I want to add music to my phone, I don't want to be locked to one computer - I want to add some songs from my PC before I leave on a trip, but also have the option to add songs from my MacBook while traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry_B View Post
    There's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing so if you're using iTunes. We have several Windows PC's in our house, several Windows laptops, and a new Macbook Pro. We can add music to our iPhones from any of those. I fought with iTunes and my iPhone for a month before I finally figured out how to use iTunes the right way. Of course, Apple does not make using it easy either, but once you figure it out the light bulb that goes off is larger than the Empire State Building.
    The way is to set up iTunes to manually add music to the iPhone in iTunes on both computers. This note from Apple shows you how: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

    (I'm not a huge fan of iTunes, either, but I'm with Sherry_B - I have it set up perfectly for the way I want it.)
    Sherry_B likes this.
  8. #8  
    ParkerPSM's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    I think iTunes is the only option that can backup the entire contents and settings of your iPhone officially. It's also really easy to restore the backup to your iPhone. If you don't have to use iTunes, some third party programs can also backup your iPhone contents but not settings. iPhone Transfer is one of them. It can connect your iPhone and transfer music, photos, videos, messages, contacts, playlists, TV shows, ringtones, audio books, ebooks and other files from iPhone to computer easily.
  9. #9  
    Ariel Babalao's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    806 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    Quote Originally Posted by leah_lamar View Post
    Hey all,

    I am trying to totally eliminate iTunes from my iPhone experience. I have my iPhone to an almost perfect place right now. I only have one step left, and that's backing up. Is there an app that will create like a full copy of my iPhone, and could restore it if necessary? It needs to get all of my music (include the added music), I would also like it to backup pics, movies and messages if possible.

    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Take a look at iMazing. The full paid version does all of that and more.
  10. #10  
    SelenaLee's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    13 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    The official ways from Apple to back up iPhone contents are either making a backup via iTunes or doing it via iCloud. However, there are some software supporting this feature, too.
  11. #11  
    Wotchered's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    524 Posts

    Default Re: How to backup my iPhone and Entire Content Without iTunes

    I have existed on various iPhones since 2012 without a computer.Occasionally irritating but works well on the whole.

Similar Threads

  1. Threaded Mail after updating to iOS 10
    By JM19 in forum iOS 10
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM
  2. Canceled my 7 Plus pre-order and ordered the 7
    By Davyo in forum iPhone 7 Plus
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-11-2016, 06:31 PM
  3. Is there a way to undo the black clock background?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 04:17 AM
  4. receiving low memory on phone and we have Iclouds why is this
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 01:47 AM
  5. why won't my apple mouse 2 scroll
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions