Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default IOS 10 messages background activity

I updated yesterday and looked at my battery stats today. It says Messages used 15 minutes on screen and 58 minutes background activity. It used 27% of my battery. Does anyone know why this is using so much batter/background activity? Is anyone else having this issue?
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: IOS 10 messages background activity

I am also having the problem, but have no solution.

Wish I could turn off the 'handwriting' and images options completely, in iMessage. Don't need 'em, don't want 'em.

Following!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,635 Global Posts

I started using the beta a few weeks ago. Sorry, I never saw this on my 6s. I just looked - no background activity in Messages in the last 24 hours. (I spent a lot more time messaging in the last 18 hours than I usually do, and right now Messages is top of my list at 15%, 36 minutes on screen, in the last 24 hours, but no background activity. When I looked yesterday it was at 1% and just a few minutes on screen. In the last 7 days, it's 3% of my battery, 1.2 hours on screen, 2 minutes background.)

I have never used (nor do I wish to use) any of the new features - stickers, balloon effects, etc. I'm with you in that I'd like to toggle it off. You can turn on Reduce Motion in accessibility settings I think to keep from seeing that stuff when it's sent to you. I just checked - I actually had that setting on all this time. Maybe that's why it's been better?

I wish I could give an answer beyond that ...
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Well I just checked my stats today and there is not background activity. I did do a hard reset late yesterday so maybe that cleared up the issue.