Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By thebizz
  • 2 Post By metllicamilitia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Speed test discrepancies

Ok so this may sound bizarre. I have noticed when running my ookla speed test app it differs dramatically from my iPhone 6s to my iPad mini 4 or the pro 9.7. On the IPads I get 45-50mbps (which is what I pay for) and on iPhone I get around 20mbps. I run tests right after one another. Anyone have a reasonable explanation? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Speed test discrepancies

That's strange. I just ran tests on my 6s Plus and MacBook Pro and they were both around 150mbps, which is in line with my internet service. Are you sure your iPhone is connecting to the same test server as your other devices?

You might want to try running tests on www.fast.com (using Safari) and comparing.
    Last edited by Rob Phillips; 07-06-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink

Yeah, make sure they use the same location. And it can vary from minute to minute on the same device. The most accurate test is on the computer.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

They are on the same and I just ran the on safari on both. iPad 48 and iPhone 10...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I even rebooted phone
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

One last follow up. My husband has the same readings... I'm perplexed
    iMore Elite

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Ok so this may sound bizarre. I have noticed when running my ookla speed test app it differs dramatically from my iPhone 6s to my iPad mini 4 or the pro 9.7. On the IPads I get 45-50mbps (which is what I pay for) and on iPhone I get around 20mbps. I run tests right after one another. Anyone have a reasonable explanation? Thanks in advance
    Same here. Connection speed on my iPad Pro 12.9 is much faster than on original iPad and iPad 4. As well as all my iPhone's are all slower.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,825 Global Posts

A few background things we would need to know. What band are you running your wifi on. Are you running it on 5ghz 2.4ghz or mixed mode. What bands are your devices connected to? If everything is the same that is odd. What is the signal strength of each device while the test is running?

^^This
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,642 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    A few background things we would need to know. What band are you running your wifi on. Are you running it on 5ghz 2.4ghz or mixed mode. What bands are your devices connected to? If everything is the same that is odd. What is the signal strength of each device while the test is running?
    I can help. I have Google Fiber at home. I'm seeing the same thing actually. Until recently there was a larger gap. Separated bands, running on the 5Ghz band, full strength wifi. Used to be 350mbps down on my iPhone, 450mbps down on my iPad Air 2, and 550mbps down on my 2013 rMBP. Recently I have seen as high as 528mbps down on the iPhone and iPad. Still less than the MacBook.
    Tartarus and phreddyl like this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

thanks for everyones responses- they are connecting to 2.4 ghz.