Late to get the 6S or should I wait?

Loco Emperor

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Recently brought a used iPhone 5 to try out but the storage constraints (8 GB) is rough .

I was going to buy a 6S plus model as I prefer bigger screens but then I wonder is it crazy to buy a S model this close to the upcoming release.

I thought about buying an IPhone 5S through cricket for $150 bucks which would give me 16 GB. Less than I want of course but it at least has me not constantly watching my storage in fear lol.

I thought about buying an SE but I was like ehh, seems a bit much for a device I essentially already have that just has a couple of features I don't.

What would you do in this case?

- Tolerate/deal with the 5 till September rolls around(It's not bad at all, just small but I don't mind much and I have to keep maintaining)

- Get a 5S for the time being?

Seems silly to buy a 5S even at 150 since I don't plan to keep it past September/October but idk.

I may just go ahead and get the 6S plus and be done with it but then it's like ehh, seems pointless this far ahead.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Recently brought a used iPhone 5 to try out but the storage constraints (8 GB) is rough .

I was going to buy a 6S plus model as I prefer bigger screens but then I wonder is it crazy to buy a S model this close to the upcoming release.

I thought about buying an IPhone 5S through cricket for $150 bucks which would give me 16 GB. Less than I want of course but it at least has me not constantly watching my storage in fear lol.

I thought about buying an SE but I was like ehh, seems a bit much for a device I essentially already have that just has a couple of features I don't.

- Tolerate/deal with the 5 till September rolls around(It's not bad at all, just small but I don't mind much and I have to keep maintaining)

Seems silly to buy a 5S even at 150 since I don't plan to keep it past September/October but idk.

I may just go ahead and get the 6S plus and be done with it but then it's like ehh, seems pointless this far ahead.

If you don't plan on upgrading to the iPhone 7 or whatever it is going to be called, then get the 6s Plus :)

I don't think getting the 5s for the time being is worth it at all..

If I were you, I would get the 6s Plus.. Or you could wait.

Either way, I am sure you are going to enjoy your new iPhone :)

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Personally I would wait for the 7. It is only a few months away and why not have the latest & greatest. I currently have a 6 and want to move to the Plus, but will wait for the next generation phone. Use iCloud in the meantime with your 5 to better manage the small storage space you have. If you are frustrated with having to maintain storage and can afford it, sell the 5 and get a 5s with more storage. You can recover some money back by selling the 5s later.

DevinNJ

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
If you're on the fence I'd wait, but if you really want a new phone, I'd buy the SE now, and see what the 7 looks like when it's released. This way you have the power of the 6s+ in a model that isn't as expensive. It is a decent upgrade from the 5, you'd be surprised. Also it would still have a pretty good resale when the 7 is released, at which you can decide on the 7 or probably get a deal on the 6s+ or even keep it until the 8 next year. Again if you really want a new phone that is.

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Is money a concern at all? If so, wait for the price drop on the 6S Plus close to 7 release. It's just 2 months of suffering with 8gb lol

If not a concern then just get the 6s Plus now. It's still a great phone and will get updates for the next year or 2.

I have a 5s for work and it's starting it's slow death like the 4s I had before it. I get my upgrade to a 6s in 2 weeks and can't wait.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
I was going back and forth on this too. I figure if I get the 6s now, the 7s (or whatever), will be the next logical phone to get. Being on the S upgrade cycle is great because if there are any short coming in new designs, you can guarantee in the s, they will be fixed!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I was going back and forth on this too. I figure if I get the 6s now, the 7s (or whatever), will be the next logical phone to get. Being on the S upgrade cycle is great because if there are any short coming in new designs, you can guarantee in the s, they will be fixed!

Yep! The S cycle always fixes any flaws.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Always a tough question. There's always going to be a new phone coming that's better than the one that is currently available. If the current lineup serves your needs go ahead an upgrade. Otherwise you're just relying on rumors for reasons to wait, and that's always a crapshoot.
If I were relying on rumors--which may or may not actually be true--I would upgrade now and then upgrade again in 2017 when rumors are pointing to a complete device refresh. Apparently the "iPhone 7" coming this fall is supposed to be more of an incremental update.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you need the phone now, go for it. Keep in mind the SE is the same form factor as your 5 (but the power of the 6s) so you'll be able to use any cases you already have with it. If you're itching to go larger, then the 6s or 6s Plus is your best bet.

3 months is going to be a long time to wait... but if you've waited this long, might as well tough it out. If your phone dies, then upgrade knowing you're getting a great device. I bought a MacBook Pro a little over a month ago knowing I needed it, even knowing there were some updates coming. Got a good deal, and again I needed it then not 2 months later when the updates were coming. I'm happy with it, and will use it for many years. :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't see Apple giving up all the big bucks that a second yearly release brings with the s series .

The problem is that those big bucks are shrinking because consumers aren't upgrading as often. We saw this with the 6s and 6s Plus. The vast majority of 6 and 6 Plus users opted to stick with their existing devices. I only upgraded because I switched carriers and had an incentive to do so.

dragontology

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
OP, you're throwing us a curve ball talking about the 6s Plus. That's a 5.5" mini tablet, while the 5, 5s, and SE are 4" phones. So it really depends on what you want.

I used to be a big phone guy. I thought the Samsung Galaxy Mega was cool at 6.4", but would never own one because it's crap (lousy specs and not even HD!) and plus it's a Samsung (but, I repeat myself... crap) but the size! The size! But really, I never went over 5" for my daily driver, and my last phone was 5" exactly, and it was too big. So I'm super happy with my 4.7" 6s (and the iPhone itself, I thought it would be harder to "dumb down" as the old, former iPhone hater in me would have said, but it's really not, it's nice, I dig it), but I think I could rock an SE. But I'd want 128GB and they don't offer that.

But, that's just me. I think the regular 4.7" 6s is about as good as it gets... but you got to decide if you want to go big or go home, in which case get the 6s Plus. If you want to stay with 4", get the SE. I wouldn't recommend someone use older hardware if they can help it. The Apple A9 chip is a beast. And you get 2GB of RAM, and the NVMe memory controller. Apple doesn't talk up that feature, but it means the internal storage is read really fast... Samsung bragged about this last year, with the Galaxy S6. What NVMe does is like that, but better. The A9 smokes the SoC in the S6 (Exynos something or other) and slightly edges out the one in the S7 (Snapdragon 820). The 5 and the 5s are ancient history now. Only thing with the SE, the front camera is gimped, and it doesn't have force touch. Force touch is super useful to me, but not everyone digs it. I use it on Settings, Beam (Reddit client), and iShows TV (TV show tracker). I could be using it on Spotify but keep forgetting to. But I think seasoned iPhone users are just not used to it, and are set in their ways. As this is my first iPhone, I take full advantage of everything the 6s and iOS 9 have to offer, as I don't have an old way.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods