Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts

Default 16gb enough?

We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?

Default Re: 16gb enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?
    I suggest getting the 64gb. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

If you can afford 64, get it. If not, you can find ways to manage 16 gb phone.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts

Thanks for the replies. the 64gbs it is....
    Spencerdl and libra89 like this.
    iMore Elite

Default 16gb enough?

Deleted by [Honey Beagle]
    Last edited by Honey Beagle; 06-04-2016 at 01:17 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Beagle View Post
    A 16 gb phone is great for those that only will I use for making phone calls.
    why would you buy a iPhone then, I have the 36 Apps i need, 600 photos, few videos, on my SE 16Gb, with 5.5gb left, so its working for me, i use Apple music. All my photos/video get synced to my iMac and then onto my 128gb 12.9 iPad.
    Ideally i would of got 64gb but wasn't available at the time.

Op for my wife i gave her my 128gb so i wouldn't have to keep managing it for her, would recommend at leat the 64gb if she takes a lot of video.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,137 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robster33 View Post
    why would you buy a iPhone then, I have the 36 Apps i need, 600 photos, few videos, on my SE 16Gb, with 5.5gb left, so its working for me, i use Apple music. All my photos/video get synced to my iMac and then onto my 128gb 12.9 iPad.
    Ideally i would of got 64gb but wasn't available at the time.

Op for my wife i gave her my 128gb so i wouldn't have to keep managing it for her, would recommend at leat the 64gb if she takes a lot of video.
    This. I have no issues managing the 16gb.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Beagle View Post
    A 16 gb phone is great for those that only will I use for making phone calls.
    If all you're doing is making phone calls then perhaps a smartphone isn't the best option.
    Every user has different needs and there are plenty who manage 16 GB just fine.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

My situation is one where my office provides a phone for me but only in the 16GB size which doesn't allow me to store much of anything on it (music, etc) and they also don't provide much in terms of a monthly data usage plan so I am trying to figure out my options when it comes to playing music in my vehicle, which has CarPlay. I'm really trying to find a way to use this phone as my only phone but unless I can increase storage, I don't see a way to make it happen.

I have seen devices advertised that let you increase the storage size of your iphone by plugging a flash drive into the lightning connector. Do these actually work? If I were to buy a larger capacity iPod Touch, would there be a way to "pair" it to the iPhone as the location for my music files, etc? I know I could just buy my own phone/device but that seems like a waste of money every month in service costs that I just don't need.

I doubt there is a god work-around but thought I would at least ask here and see. Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Default 16gb enough?

I think 16GB is enough if that's all you have at your disposal. For a while, I was a 16GB user back on the 4/4S and 5. I made it work because I had no other option. But, if one can get their hands on 64GB I say "Do it!"
    Just_Me_D and Spencerdl like this.

Skip the 16gb! Get the 64gb if at all possible.
    mumfoau and Spencerdl like this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

Agree with all the others! I had a 16gb and filled it up in no time. It was a constant battle. So when I got my 6s in December, I got the 64gb. It's awesome and such a relief!
    Spencerdl and alc1575 like this.

16 gb is manageable if you don't put tons of music and photos on it. But get 64 gb if you can easily afford it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

I got the 16gb last month and it is already within 500mb of capacity. Actual capacity you get is a little under 12gb on the 16gb model. My pictures are on icloud so that is all apps, voicemail and very limited music. I only download a few songs at any given time. 64 no less.
    Spencerdl likes this.

Yep, have to agree with going the 64GB route if you can afford it. Well worth having that extra storage.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts

I can easily afford them....But I was asking if its worth spending the money...I know I am going to have many more apps on my iPhone than I do on my windows phone now.

Hey Libra89! fancy meeting you over here. I got banned for some silly reason on WC.....
    libra89 and MooMooPrincess like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,273 Global Posts

Back in the day I remember buying a 1.2 GB drive. I thought that I could store the world so I copied all my floppy disk onto the drive and it was still less than half full. So I started finding software on the internet and would download as much as I could (which took forever on a 56k modem) and that drive still wouldn't fill up. After a couple of years the drive died and I felt like I'd lost my whole world since it was all on that drive then I realized much of what we keep isn't worth keeping...

Really, how often do you look at all of your 600 pictures or listen to the majority of those 1K songs? I got a bunch of videos just taking up space on my phone since I can't remember the last time I watched them...
    libra89 likes this.

Default 16gb enough?

I can easily afford them....But I was asking if its worth spending the money...I know I am going to have many more apps on my iPhone than I do on my windows phone now.

Hey Libra89! fancy meeting you over here. I got banned for some silly reason on WC.....
    When I still used my old iPhone 5, I had 120 apps downloaded. Not including the Apple apps. About 200 photos. Not much music. When I upgraded to the 6s Plus, I had over 2 gb available. If you're not doing a lot of music and put photos in cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox, you can manage 16 gb.
    Music, photos and videos are what get most users. Some put 50 gb of music on their phone.
    libra89 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,137 Global Posts

Hey! I wondered what happened to you over there. I'm still there but since I'm mostly* enjoying my iPhone SE, I am also here as well.

About the apps thing, I'm not sure what apps you use(d) on Windows Phone, but with me, I found that after downloading all of these extra apps, I end up uninstalling them because I don't use them.

*iOS is kind of boring to me. Very solid but customization isn't really as nice as it is in the Windows and Android worlds.
    Pcmx and Annie_i6s like this.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DQSooner View Post
    My situation is one where my office provides a phone for me but only in the 16GB size which doesn't allow me to store much of anything on it (music, etc) and they also don't provide much in terms of a monthly data usage plan so I am trying to figure out my options when it comes to playing music in my vehicle, which has CarPlay. I'm really trying to find a way to use this phone as my only phone but unless I can increase storage, I don't see a way to make it happen.

I have seen devices advertised that let you increase the storage size of your iphone by plugging a flash drive into the lightning connector. Do these actually work? If I were to buy a larger capacity iPod Touch, would there be a way to "pair" it to the iPhone as the location for my music files, etc? I know I could just buy my own phone/device but that seems like a waste of money every month in service costs that I just don't need.

I doubt there is a god work-around but thought I would at least ask here and see. Thanks for any suggestions.

David
    You can purchase the Mophie Space battery case for your iPhone to expand the storage capacity. I used to use it when I was having my 16gb 5s it helps a lot, but again, those battery cases cost.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts

Yeah, if you go look at my profile, You will see where I commented on my 1020 being better than a rooted android phone, and one of the mods got pissy. They are very childish over there.

The apps for work are what gets me away from windows phone...and the fact that MS is essentially bailing on the platform. I would own a 950xl right now If I could get a solid voip app for two way, square payment app, and Sirius xm for music while I work. But NONE are available. I am not going android. Cannot take to it at all. So, IPHONE it is.

Quote Originally Posted by libra89 View Post
    Hey! I wondered what happened to you over there. I'm still there but since I'm mostly* enjoying my iPhone SE, I am also here as well.

About the apps thing, I'm not sure what apps you use(d) on Windows Phone, but with me, I found that after downloading all of these extra apps, I end up uninstalling them because I don't use them.

*iOS is kind of boring to me. Very solid but customization isn't really as nice as it is in the Windows and Android worlds.
    Maybe you haven't tried the right apps.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DQSooner View Post

David
    Why not just get your own device with your own plan and leave your office provided device for just that, office work. While sometimes I may use my iPad for work use (its a matter of my convenience), I NEVER use work devices for personal use.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    5,137 Global Posts

Default 16gb enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Maybe you haven't tried the right apps.
    It's fine, I have the apps that I need and use on a regular basis. I occasionally try apps but eh, I'm good.

Unless you mean when it comes to customization, maybe I haven't.
    Pcmx likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

No, it's not enough. That's too low.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast