16gb enough?

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, if you go look at my profile, You will see where I commented on my 1020 being better than a rooted android phone, and one of the mods got pissy. They are very childish over there.

The apps for work are what gets me away from windows phone...and the fact that MS is essentially bailing on the platform. I would own a 950xl right now If I could get a solid voip app for two way, square payment app, and Sirius xm for music while I work. But NONE are available. I am not going android. Cannot take to it at all. So, IPHONE it is.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey! I wondered what happened to you over there. I'm still there but since I'm mostly* enjoying my iPhone SE, I am also here as well.

About the apps thing, I'm not sure what apps you use(d) on Windows Phone, but with me, I found that after downloading all of these extra apps, I end up uninstalling them because I don't use them.

*iOS is kind of boring to me. Very solid but customization isn't really as nice as it is in the Windows and Android worlds.

Maybe you haven't tried the right apps.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
My situation is one where my office provides a phone for me but only in the 16GB size which doesn't allow me to store much of anything on it (music, etc) and they also don't provide much in terms of a monthly data usage plan so I am trying to figure out my options when it comes to playing music in my vehicle, which has CarPlay. I'm really trying to find a way to use this phone as my only phone but unless I can increase storage, I don't see a way to make it happen.

I have seen devices advertised that let you increase the storage size of your iphone by plugging a flash drive into the lightning connector. Do these actually work? If I were to buy a larger capacity iPod Touch, would there be a way to "pair" it to the iPhone as the location for my music files, etc? I know I could just buy my own phone/device but that seems like a waste of money every month in service costs that I just don't need.

I doubt there is a god work-around but thought I would at least ask here and see. Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Why not just get your own device with your own plan and leave your office provided device for just that, office work. While sometimes I may use my iPad for work use (its a matter of my convenience), I NEVER use work devices for personal use.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
;) why would you buy a iPhone then, I have the 36 Apps i need, 600 photos, few videos, on my SE 16Gb, with 5.5gb left, so its working for me, i use Apple music. All my photos/video get synced to my iMac and then onto my 128gb 12.9 iPad.
Ideally i would of got 64gb but wasn't available at the time.

Op for my wife i gave her my 128gb so i wouldn't have to keep managing it for her, would recommend at leat the 64gb if she takes a lot of video.

Just a reply so someone that asked about purchasing a 16gb phone.

Will delete my reply. Sorry my mistake.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey! I wondered what happened to you over there. I'm still there but since I'm mostly* enjoying my iPhone SE, I am also here as well.

About the apps thing, I'm not sure what apps you use(d) on Windows Phone, but with me, I found that after downloading all of these extra apps, I end up uninstalling them because I don't use them.

*iOS is kind of boring to me. Very solid but customization isn't really as nice as it is in the Windows and Android worlds.

I'm coming from a different platform similarly without much customization and find I'm mostly enjoying the iPhone too but... find it kind of boring also. Maybe it's more that I find looking for apps and actually using them not something I give a lot of attention to?

Anyway, my personal phone has 8gb storage and for the longest time, an 8gb card. I like the os and apps on the device and all other media on the card. There are a lot of apps on that 8gb storage and photos, music, downloads on the 8gb card. When the card became close to full, the stuff was old enough to come off the phone anyway.

I only use a couple of these forums apps and a couple music apps on my iPod which don't really have a place on my work iPhone so the 16gb will go a ways for me!

RoCutler

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had 16gb iPhones for a while (3gs, 5, 5s). Music is my largest space filler (with about 3gb).
As I have a 32gb iPad, all my video is there, but if I didn't have that, and if I wanted to watch videos on my iPhone, then I think 16gb might be not enough - I travel once a week on trains, a 4 hour journey.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Some people can make use of the 16GB versions, and if they can, great. They will do you just fine.

However someone like myself would never be able to stand having only 16GB to play around with. I paid more and went with the 64GB myself. I tend to collect a lot of photos at a time and sometimes videos as well. I didnt want to have to spend a lot of time managing the space, deciding what apps I could download and keep, whether I was going to have enough space to do iOS updates OTA, etc.

And another thing as well. If you look at benchmarks between the 16, 64 and 128 GB versions, loading and boot times are significantly slower on the 16GB than either the 64 or the 128GB. The 64 nearly quadruples the throughput of the 16, and the 128 does just a bit more than that. This is because of the way flash memory works and the way the NVMe interface for the storage is set up. It likely wont matter much to you, but just another thing to consider.

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Definitely no, i almost bought a 16gb 6s plus, i'm glad i bought the 64gb one.
My phone is not even 1 month old and i already used 13gb, more than a 16gb iphone have free out of the box.
I just took some pictures and videos, transferred some music and installed two small games, 500mb each.
Garageband uses 1,2gb and will be the fist thing to uninstall when i need space.
But also i use google photos, and used google play music with all my songs uploaded there.
Is possible to use a 16gb iphone, but you have to keep watching everytime how much space is left. I think it hurts the experience.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, as I thought. The 64s it is. I am excited to plug my guitar into my phone and play around with some digital stuff there too. As I mentioned before, if windows10mobile gained a little bit of traction I would be going with a 950xl. Since MS came out and pretty well said, hey we are not interested in our mobile platform, I am gone to apple for my phone. All the apps, accessories, stable, smooth, polished hardware. The 950 xl from Microsoft was an awesome phone, but lack of apps was its downfall.

I am very excited to be in the land of hey, I want that app....hey, I got that app!....

zaksma

May 22, 2016
Visit site
64 gb all the way. I have two personal lines and a work line provided by my employer. I never use their phone for anything personal as there is no privacy. Better to have it and not need it...

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?

$130

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?

$130 for 64gb is a steal. Plus you'll really not need to "manage" it. Just use it.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
Yep, my wife works with the hospital, they have a deal with telus that gives you 400 dollars off the price of any contract phone. Costing us 130 bucks up front for a 64gb ip6s. each. Add in our contract it will be 160 a month then, for both unlimited national calling, as well as 4gb shared data.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Better to have a little more storage than be unable to enjoy your phone with the apps and videos/music you want 64 was perfect for me .

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice