2 Weeks With the iPhone

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
TLDR; rose gold is pretty, 6s is tough and a good phone coming from and still using a BlackBerry after 2 weeks.

I like BlackBerry as my personal phone and enjoy using android on a phone as a tablet at home, so it just made sense that I picked iOS for my work phone xD.

We get to keep it after the contract is up so it was a tough choice but I decided on the 6s! It was a toss up between it and the Priv. I'm biased, preferring bb10 as an os and typically find myself running with the smaller guy when they provide a good product. I really wanted something current for work with app and forward compatibility in mind. My trust has been with Apple so..

Here I am back with Apple. I always said I'd get an iPhone once they got rid of the home button and while that didn't happen nor was the deciding factor, I'm really liking 3D Touch to this regard. I use it for all navigation. This feature has definitely added extra value to me though I can imagine it being so much more. It really has changed the way I use a phone and while initially seen as something of a head scratcher it is nearly required in the way I use iOS now. My poor iPod and Samsung are getting unnecessary squished, ahh, lol!

One of the factors in choosing the 6s is its demonstrated durability. I watched the poor rose gold get tortured in many accounts. It put up a fuss while being subjected to bend tests resulting in table edge or other person assists and even survived a 100 ft. drop with the only added protection of a burrito! This was impressive and I knew I had to have a rose gold to save it from such experiments ;).

My rose gold is a little less rosy and not as pink as others I've seen on display which I kinda like - it's not in your face which is good for work. It is pretty and beauty and sometimes garners an attention similar to walking around with a puppy. Things that I am missing from its outward appearance is a notification light but other than that, everything is top notch; I love the rounded glass and finish.

A bit disappointing is that both my iPod and iPhone, most recent devices came out of the box with a small mark in the aluminum. No biggie just not expected. Not sure what kind of glass is used but I've had most luck with scratch resistance from glass that is not gorilla. This iPhone has micro scratches after 2 weeks which seems a little soon but it is in a work environment. I could always put a protector on it if it bothers me. They are not noticeable in most light. At first the screen appeared as though it has a bit of a dark edge to it but it's not something I key into now. It's not as bright as other devices when in auto in most conditions. All the speakers crackle but not all the time which is sometimes perplexing. I think I would be a good bug tester as my unknowingness with how to do certain things as I learn seems to bring them to surface (I haven't ventured from iOS 9.1 yet).

Aside from frustrations with doing stuff in a different manner than I'm used to, it's been good. My first week was love / hate with a good deal of criticism at the forefront. The second week was dealt with just a general negative attitude toward it based largely on bias. I was having iPhone anguish as I battled 2 dial pads, couldn't find speaker phone hiding and was generally displeased with what seems to be a little extra added step from what I'm used to. Attitudes aside it is really a nice device and I am appreciating it mostly on week 3.

Impressive is the battery life. I needed not worry as general impressions about being near a wall outlet and wearing a charger around your neck were cast aside. This is a work phone and I am a light user of the battery intensive stuff so the excellent standby battery life is allowing it to go more than 3 days per charge! I finally just plug it in to be sure at this point. I have no apps on it yet :( but the battery on this particular phone with a couple of little preferred settings is beating out the co-workers and I'm the one communicating with people the most with what I do. Safari often uses the highest, at around 75% but it's pretty lean and just means that's where I spend most of my on screen time without apps.

The keyboard. I mean this as a compliment that it's an on screen keyboard that is actually useable to me. It is virtually as wide as my BlackBerry and while I'm not one to prefer a larger phone, this extra width helps me immensely. That and the 3D Touch features of it take away the frustrations I had with text selection in iOS. This was one of my biggest gripes with typing on an iPhone. The 6s keyboard with its trackpad cursor and text selection features are reminding me of.. well I'm not going to say it as you probably know where I'm going with that

I gotta say, while I still love my BlackBerry and generally enjoy using a lot of Google / Androids offerings, the 6s has put Apple back on the map for me and I hope to be productive with it as I learn more and maybe eventually update haha. AirDrop is cool too and I'm about to use it to send this to the iPod to post on the iMore forums app.

I typed too much on here which is a testament to the good keyboard though it does still manage to find ways to autocorrect me with strange substitutions lol. I know with the pace that smartphone tech moves that the 6s is not exactly new news but if you are just trying it out for the first time or have something to share, I'd love to hear it :). Thank you for reading!

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Always used a BlackBerry myself probably 10/12 years however one month with the 6s and I seem right at home with it ,good and fast, ex camera and hey they have apps with updates I find it as they say "Just Works" for me only thing I miss is the blinking red light for messages if BlackBerry had not have went Android and the stupid Priv I might have stayed a while longer however I bought a 6s space grey 64 and like it and hope you enjoy yours also .

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Nice personal review! After being a BlackBerry user for years, I found myself jumping back & forth between the "tool" (BlackBerry) & the "toy" (iPhone) until I realized that I found BlackBerry lacking some things (not just apps) that had come to be almost dealbreakers to me in a daily driver device. The iPhone had these things, and they were easy to use. That, and the iPhone "just worked" without the hassles associated with keeping a BlackBerry running correctly. I will always have a warm place in my heart for all things BlackBerry...but the iPhone has become as much an extension of myself as my BB's were...and now that BB has gone Android as their hardware OS of choice, they have lost me for good!

The 6s is a great device, and so feature packed that I'm sure I don't use it to its capacity at all. In fact, I often forget...actually, normally forget about 3D Touch until I think about using it, and smile to myself for the coolness of that feature. It can only get better. Anyway, glad you're enjoying your iPhone, and welcome to iMore! :)

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Glad to see you are enjoying your iPhone 6s! I myself originally came from Windows Phone, having owned the Lumia 640 for a while and then the Lumia 950. Both were good hardware wise in their respective segments but the software was terrible. As it was mentioned before, iOS just works and it's nice to know that any app out there will be available on the App Store and have continued support. It was hit or miss with WP10. The phone itself is gorgeous and I'm contemplating getting my second Apple phone later this year. We will see, but from what I have experienced with my 6s, I'm an Apple fan for life!

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My first iPhone was the 5s.

I started out in the smartphone market with the Blackberry Pearl Flip. At the time it was a great phone and I loved it. It was a smartphone in the form factor of a flip phone, and the smaller secondary screen on the outside not only game it a look of some real class IMHO, but was also very useful for time and notifications.

When I upgraded from that one, I went to the most recent Curve model, and stayed with curve models from then on as at the time US Cellular didnt have the better BB models. I was a big fan of BB back in the day. Then I switched from US Cellular to AT&T because USC was going to crap in my area in terms of signal and service.

That is when I went with the only Android phone Ive ever used. I switched from BB for a few reasons. One, I just simply wanted to try something different. Two, BB was really lacking in app support as compared to Android, among other features as well. So I jumped in the Android bandwagon. I got the LG Optimus G as it was one of the only quad-core phones out at the time, and I got a heck of a deal on it.

The LG was great for what it was. It did many of the things I wanted it to do. However, I never really grew to love the interface of the LG. I understand that each android was different, so I can only speak for that one.

Pretty soon after getting the LG, I realized something about it that also killed BB for me. The OS didnt get very regular updates. In fact, I dont think I got any at all on either of my BBs or my Android. I wanted something that would receive regular updates so I knew it would stay current and secure.

Around the time of my next upgrade, I started talking to friends and co workers who were iPhone users. Asking them why they liked theirs, what their experiences were, what they liked most about them and so on. I played with a couple of my friends iPhones and found that I really liked the way the worked, how fluid the UI was, how responsive the phone was in general, and the feel in my hand.

I then made the decision to move to iPhone. Everything I liked about it when just playing with my friends was still there. The app support was incredible along with the regular iOS updates and support. Ill admit I had a real love/hate relationship with it at first but I soon got used to it and I havent looked back since.

I now have my second iPhone which is the Space Grey 6s Plus 64GB and wouldnt give it up for another phone except a new iPhone model. I like how simple it is in general, I love the built in security (Im an IT Admin so I tend to be very conscious of data security.) And I also love how iPhones dont try to wow the user with the latest and greatest tech in the form of CPU and cameras all the time, but rather focus on having a polished UI and making it just simply work.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I still love my BlackBerry but the 6s is really exciting and I'm enjoying it this third week as I'm starting to be able to do things quickly on it.

Glad to read experiences here. It's always neat to see where others came from in choosing theirs. Thanks for sharing!!

A couple weeks ago, one of my bosses said how they were a huge fan of BlackBerry but went iPhone and never looked back. At that time I couldn't quite understand it but using and experiencing other devices and ecosystems makes me see and appreciate them for their designs and the way they do things unique to themselves.

Glad the 6s is as enticing and feature full as it is. I'm feeling comfortable with it now and even becoming a fan of it :).

Posted via the iMore App for Android

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I will always be a Blackberry fan. I have had the Pearl, Storm, 9930, Z10 & Q10. The only one I really didn't like was the Storm. I switched to Android for my main phone after the Storm and then to the iPhone 4 when it came to Verizon. I kept a BB for work though as I stilled preferred the typing experience on BB. Since then I have bounced around a lot but always come back to the iPhone. My 6s Plus does everything I need. It really does, just work.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I really wish BB10 had been able to make more of an impact. The development and apps just weren't where they needed to be at launch. It really showed some promise.

After my BlackBerry Bold 9700 I was an Android user from 2010-2015, with a brief stint on the Z10 in 2013 when it launched. When I saw the keynote for the iPhone 6s it was the first iPhone that really caught my attention. I picked up the iPhone 6s+ on launch day and for the most part I haven't looked back to Android. The exception has been the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, but I went to AC to read the comments about that phone and it made me remember all of the problems I had with Android that I simply put up with at the time. The iPhone JUST WORKS, and although I miss things about Android it's not worth going back. I may pick up a Nexus 5x down the line as a back up/tinkering phone, but not a my daily driver.

About your home button comment - I see this comment often from BlackBerry users and I find it baffling. To me a home button is less of a "panic button" and more as a way to get to a home screen where all my most used applications are. I like a static home screen where I know exactly where everything is for quick access. I mostly miss Android for the widgets, because I could get my most needed info at a glance on my home screen without having to open up an app. The active frames on BB10 interested me because of this, but again the development of them was lacking.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
About the home button, I'm just a weirdo who likes to close every app when I'm done with it and my first ios device was an ipod with ios 5. Iirc back then I couldn't just double click and bring up the app switcher from within an app but had to single click to go to the home screen, then double click, then touch on the little red x which I was sometimes never precise enough to do so it would go back to the home screen, then double click again but it would maybe register a single click and I'd be flipping between the home screen and search, so I didn't personally really prefer it lol. I notice ios 9 doesn't go to search with a click of the home button, maybe for that reason :p

I really love what Apple has done with the 6s because I like gestures and just want to swipe all the time, so now, and since I use my phone left-handed, I gently squeeze that edge with my thumb but not enough to make it "pop" then swipe my thumb over to the right, swipe up to close, and I'm pretty much back home :)

Something I don't like about active frames on bb10 is that I can't toss them up to close but have to tap on the little x a bunch of times cause I suck haha!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Good and honest review and I have also been a long time Blackberry user who is using a iPhone 6s and a Blackberry Priv.

As with all devices there are good and bad points and no device is the perfect one. I love the app selection that both IOS and Android offer and is the major reason I using them at the moment.

I do miss the Hub and Peak functions of Blackberry OS10, but the notifications in IOS and Android have also worked well for me and I find myself not missing a beat.

I will always have a soft spot for Blackberry and to this day my 7100i was the best device I ever used when I was traveling the world for the auto industry. It never let me down and my email worked worldwide.

In the end I always tell folks you have to get what best fits your needs and your budget. I have always said that Apple hasn't become the company they are by building junk. They did it by building a product the consumer asked and are being rewarded for it.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Good and honest review and I have also been a long time Blackberry user who is using a iPhone 6s and a Blackberry Priv.

As with all devices there are good and bad points and no device is the perfect one. I love the app selection that both IOS and Android offer and is the major reason I using them at the moment.

I do miss the Hub and Peak functions of Blackberry OS10, but the notifications in IOS and Android have also worked well for me and I find myself not missing a beat.

I will always have a soft spot for Blackberry and to this day my 7100i was the best device I ever used when I was traveling the world for the auto industry. It never let me down and my email worked worldwide.

In the end I always tell folks you have to get what best fits your needs and your budget. I have always said that Apple hasn't become the company they are by building junk. They did it by building a product the consumer asked and are being rewarded for it.

If bb10 didn't work so well for me, I'd definitely look at the Priv to go alongside the 6s also. The Priv intrigues me but I'll wait to see when the 'Hamburg' comes out as I miss my Z30.

I use my BlackBerry mostly as a toy for music and games; I create, upload, and download a lot of independent music right to and from the device, and I built an app from source using Momentics - I didn't write it but modified it a little to play retro games that I have in my collection using the keypad as the controller to my preference. I don't use it often but like to have that with me for those times like being in a waiting room. A file manager with SD card and inter-platform file transferring are also beneficial to my use for this. I run android apps on it now so I have them alongside bb10 including open source ones I like / built, and ios with me at most all times. My dad on the other hand runs a business from his iPhone with a lot of social apps being integral to him.

I've taken for granted what bb10 comes with out of the box but am learning that there's an app for that when it comes to the others. There's things I'm learning how to do which I've criticized ios for in the past like supposedly not being able to listen to youtube with the screen off. I can do this on ios now!

I'm on day 4 with my battery on the 6s, I went for it! so it's continuing to impress. I've noticed that call quality could possibly be affected by holding it near the top? I kind of suspend the phone that way when talking. Other than that, it's being great to me and I love the colour :D. I went ahead based in part on these impressions and bought an ipad so my dad, grandma, and I can enjoy communicating and sharing content with each other as it really seems a great platform for this among our devices and I hope she'll warm up to it as i have as it'll give her a lot to explore and do if she'll embrace it. Either way, the 6s is the one for me so far and if they ever make an ipad I can squish on, i'd maybe save for and go for that too!

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I still love my BlackBerry but the 6s is really exciting and I'm enjoying it this third week as I'm starting to be able to do things quickly on it.

Glad to read experiences here. It's always neat to see where others came from in choosing theirs. Thanks for sharing!!

A couple weeks ago, one of my bosses said how they were a huge fan of BlackBerry but went iPhone and never looked back. At that time I couldn't quite understand it but using and experiencing other devices and ecosystems makes me see and appreciate them for their designs and the way they do things unique to themselves.

Glad the 6s is as enticing and feature full as it is. I'm feeling comfortable with it now and even becoming a fan of it :).

May I ask what industry you work in? I'm not sure if you mentioned I your op. I know bb had a lot of pull in corporate circles for enterprise and security but any more I see a lot of companies have left for the iPhone in recent years. Seems this is true?

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
May I ask what industry you work in? I'm not sure if you mentioned I your op. I know bb had a lot of pull in corporate circles for enterprise and security but any more I see a lot of companies have left for the iPhone in recent years. Seems this is true?

I work at a corporate office but do both desk and industrial type jobs. I'd say the iPhone is popular among executives and only know of a handful of BlackBerrys in use since I look out for that. Early this decade, all you would have heard or seen around here was BlackBerry.

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I was a die-hard BB fans for years. I sort of lost interest when BB 10 come out, very few apps (yes I know you can sideload) and BB released a string of terrible devices. Imho they lost their way, and with the relentless march of IOS and Android, they were pretty much stuffed and it was all downhill form there.

I'm happy with my iPhone 6s. I can do tasks quick and effortlessly. Saying that, if BB released a killer phone and app developers took their fingers out of their butts, I would return to BB without doubt, but sadly, I just can't see that happening any time soon.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Agreed tho I'd imagine developers had reasons to put focus elsewhere and while I like bb10 devices there are little things I'd like to see different on each of them. I'm actually using a bbos Curve right now as I gave my sim adapter from my bb10 phone to someone in need and am just digging the simplistic and small side of it.

Apple's 3.5" phones and pretty much any 5" phone sizes are sweet spots for me so the 6s fits me form factor wise and I actually love it's design alongside the 3G rounded back iPhones. I didn't expect that the 6s would make me appreciate my iPod touch more as I use it quite a bit in conjunction. Sometimes it's a nice trade off to use the nice thin 4" screen device and since I sent my Android phone off to the person in need of a backup with my sim adapter, the iPod is my new go to as an apps tablet but what I like also is it separates and can share the personal from work stuff and I use Airdrop more than anticipated. It's nice and easy.

Bb could've released almost anything and I'd want to buy it but with Android, it's a tougher sell... I liked using Android on a phone on wifi only but as soon as a sim was thrown in and someone asks me to set it up with accounts and notifications, it becomes a bit of a wash to me. I haven't tried mm so I can't rip into it too much but there's other reasons I don't buy into it as freely also.

IMHO, if bb could release a small but powerful device based on maybe an iconic design a la the iPhone se, and with great app support, they may see some looks their way - running what, though, who knows?

At this point what I wanted in a new phone, is to have something relevant over the next couple years at least, with premium materials, tough build, good support, social compatibility, ability to powerfully run apps I'll throw at it in the future, a trusted os, colour selection, and a new touch dynamic is how I landed on the 6s and am happy with and hope to continue to be happy with for some time to come xD

Vijay_Anand

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Glad to see you are enjoying your iPhone 6s! I myself originally came from Windows Phone, having owned the Lumia 640 for a while and then the Lumia 950. Both were good hardware wise in their respective segments but the software was terrible. As it was mentioned before, iOS just works and it's nice to know that any app out there will be available on the App Store and have continued support. It was hit or miss with WP10. The phone itself is gorgeous and I'm contemplating getting my second Apple phone later this year. We will see, but from what I have experienced with my 6s, I'm an Apple fan for life!

Eerie! That's exactly the same in my case. I too came to iOS from WM10. Like you, I have the 950 too. The only thing I miss from my Lumia is the stunning camera and the gorgeous user interface. My 6s is easily the best phone I have owned. Ever.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit