Someone removed my iPhone from my Apple account

Corinna Greece

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I really need to understand what happened to my lost locked iPhone 6s. It was lost 3 weeks ago. the phone was locked, location services were turned on, double verification for my iCloud account was on as well. I tried to locate it immediately but the phone was put offline. Since I had a lot of sensitive information on it I decided to put it in Lost mode, changed my Apple account password, canceled my SIM card and I turned on the remote wipe when it would go online again.
Then after a week or so I was notified that the remote wipe was performed. The phone was appearing in my account as wiped. Then the strangest thing happened after another 2 weeks. It was my understanding that once the phone was erased it could not be located again. Apparently I was wrong, because yesterday an email was sent to me from ilostfinder@icloud.com that my phone was found. The location it showed was Houston, Texas (my phone was lost in Athens, Greece...). I immediately changed my password but when I tried to review my account after 5 minutes and check on the devices connected to it, my iPhone 6s had disappeared from the list and never appeared again since. And the location could not be viewed anymore by following the link provided in the email.
Can anybody offer any advice or some explanation to what happened? I really thought these phones were infallible if they are locked and managed properly. Should I contact Apple and report this event?
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a technical explanation but I have a feeling two password changes could be a factor. It is unlikely any of your passwords were compromised by the theft of a phone but the first change was a good idea if you think the thief might have cracked the phone's passcode. Your second change after the phone was wiped and located was not strictly necessary and might have confused the Apple systems trying to link to the stolen phone. The other possible explanation in my mind is that the phone has been shut down again and there is no current location data. Thieves are not totally stupid and they know an iPhone in Lost Mode is pretty incriminating if they have a brush with cops.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR