Battery life? Exceptional, good or just ok? Possibly downgrading from a 6s plus due to size

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I usually get about 7-8 hours of actually usage time on 6s. I'd get about 9-10.5 on the Plus.
Oh heck, I'm usually around the 15 hour mark before I plug it in for the night, and I usually have around 35 to 40% remaining battery life. Of course, that depends on the usage...:)

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
What are you guys doing, playing music for fifteen hours a day?

It could be anything. We don't know people's lives.
Some people have long commutes and like to listen to their music each way. Some people are really into watching media (such as videos) on their phones. We also have some people who don't have a computer (it could be by force and/or choice) so their phone is everything. I am one of those people that also reads on my phone a lot, I pretty much only read ebooks just through my phone. Additionally, some people might use their phones as hotspots, since the internet where they are, either sucks or the mobile internet is just better.

It can really be anything at all.

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I've never had any issues. When I go away with work I bring my Anker power bank just in case but I'm a fairly heavy user and always get a full day out of it.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for sharing. It was very interesting to read your thoughts on doing this experiment. The conclusion you came to is so true.

We have come to a place where the phones have gotten so complicated and expensive that it is like owning a car. There are trade off’s to everything and when you have to keep anything for a long period of time, you need to make sure you can be more happy than bothered by what is literally in your hand all day long.

Additionally, this statement is something that I am trying to keep in mind:

But, until you get your device into real world situations it can be hard to see past the shiny bells and whistles to figure out what is going keep you happy and what is going to bug the crap out of you.

I haven't had this dilemma but I have had the one of deciding what phone to use. It feels really hard but knowing what will bug you is also valid too.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's good to hear. I actually didn't have a problem most days. I am just always paranoid my battery will die and something is going to come up where I won't be able to charge. I used to keep the percentage meter next to the battery on all the time and my experiment taught me to turn it off and quit worrying so much.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
My 6s came off the charger at 5:30 am and is now 92% at 9 pm. I didn't use it much at 40 mins use with calls, text, and browsing on wifi but that's what I need is for the battery to be steady and ready for when work calls for it.

I'd say standby is great considering having some weak cell service throughout and an active motion sensor. Some devices I'd had would drain 10% using a pedometer app through the workday or just sitting overnight so I'm happily impressed by it. Made it 4 days on one charge once. I do carry 2 phones and am light use between devices including iPod, other phones w/o sims and desktops.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

That was an amazing read of your experience. I am currently in the exact same situation experimenting by downsizing to the 6s, although it's been 2 days so early to say about my decision.

I totally agree with your observations, battery is my biggest concern so far but at the moment I'm getting through my topping up around the 3pm mark.

Giving myself another week to decide and I'll post my final decision here.

Cheers.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that is pretty awesome! You mentioned weak cell service, I do have that issue a bit. I live in a rural county in Alabama and I travel throughout it for work. I have noticed that my battery seams to take somewhat of a hit when I'm in bad service areas. I remember in my BlackBerry days there was an app that would actually reduce the constant attempts to connect with cell service. I wish we could control this better in iOS for sure.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Wow, that is pretty awesome! You mentioned weak cell service, I do have that issue a bit. I live in a rural county in Alabama and I travel throughout it for work. I have noticed that my battery seams to take somewhat of a hit when I'm in bad service areas. I remember in my BlackBerry days there was an app that would actually reduce the constant attempts to connect with cell service. I wish we could control this better in iOS for sure.

When the iPhone loses LTE, it goes to 3G, also when talking. Sometimes it's low on bars when on 3G so I can have call fails or email send fail. I'm not used to seeing 3G and typically I've seen my other phones go between LTE and 4G but my iPhone is also on a different carrier. Still, even with a fluctuating signal, I think it uses less battery when on 3G.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Since the last update my battery has been terrible. I lost 56% over 6 hrs with 0 use. Literally sat on my nightstand. I am charging about 4 time a day. I am a heavy user. Before update it would get me through most days. Can I uninstall it and see if that is the problem ?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I usually can't do a whole day on the 6s but I do play Madden every chance I get and that's a battery eater. MLB16 too. Even without, I still need a bit of a boost throughout the day, and I don't like running the battery all the way down. For times I need to make sure I go all day or longer, I use the Apple Smart Battery Case.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've been using the 6s for nearly a week and my biggest issue is the battery. Finding myself charging the phone at least 2-3 times during the day. And that's a no go for me, cannot afford to be in a comprisable situation since my work is completely dependent on the phone.

So I think I'm gonna go back to the trusted 6s+ very very soon.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The same thing for me. I can't be carrying around a mophie or be caught with a dead phone. Mine was fine until the last update. I just got off Apple Support and they were no help. They kept telling me to stop the refreshing of apps and lower the brightness and things like that.

The battery was fine until the update. It is the UPDATE... but they didn't want to hear that. I am wiping the phone and restoring it from a backup that was before the update. She told me that it wouldn't help, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I have no problem when someone tells me they don't know how to resolve the problem.. but don't tell me that it isn't a problem!!

Getting through a full day without a problem and then doing an update and having to charge it 4 times a day after ... is a problem and the update is the problem

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Update: back on the 6s+ as mentioned earlier. Definitely feels bigger in the hand only after a weeks use of the 6s but the trade off is worth it in terms of battery.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The same thing for me. I can't be carrying around a mophie or be caught with a dead phone. Mine was fine until the last update. I just got off Apple Support and they were no help. They kept telling me to stop the refreshing of apps and lower the brightness and things like that.

The battery was fine until the update. It is the UPDATE... but they didn't want to hear that. I am wiping the phone and restoring it from a backup that was before the update. She told me that it wouldn't help, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I have no problem when someone tells me they don't know how to resolve the problem.. but don't tell me that it isn't a problem!!

Getting through a full day without a problem and then doing an update and having to charge it 4 times a day after ... is a problem and the update is the problem

Update: I restored the phone to an earlier back-up and it seemed to fix the problem. The battery is not great, but still gets me through most days.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro