iPhone 6s, why does turning Personal Hotspot ON stop my phone charging from the computer?

I

iMore Question

iphone 6s why does turning Personal Hotspot ON stop my phone charging from computer?

It charges ok from mains charger.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iphone 6s why does turning Personal Hotspot ON stop my phone charging from computer?

I don't know, and I've never experienced anything like that. Have you sought assistance from Apple regarding this matter?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Computer USB ports generally provide less current compared with wall chargers. Just guessing, but with the hotspot on, the phone requires more current from the battery than the USB port you are using can provide.

JimMLINY

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I hotspot at clients for a day's work connected to ASUS ZenBook UX305 and the 6s is at 100% charge at end of business day when I depart. How old is you computer? USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 ports?

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: iphone 6s why does turning Personal Hotspot ON stop my phone charging from computer?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think USB 3 makes a difference in power provided unless the cable is also USB 3 which the Lightning cable (afaik) is not. I would have to agree though. Probably the fact that the USB port just simply can't provide enough current. USB 2 is limited to 250mA per port where as the wall charger for the phone is 1 A at least.