6S Model A1633 - Verify U.S. Carrier Compatibility

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I'll likely switch soon from Samsung to the iPhone 6S. I'd like to know if the 6S SIM-free model A1633 is indeed fully compatible with the 4 major U.S. carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. I want to be "free" to switch at will to any of the big 4 carriers and know that my 6S will work fine.
So, is there any forum member here who can personally attest that their 6S model A1633 is working fine on any of the big 4 carriers listed below? Thanks in advance.
AT&T -
T-Mobile -
Verizon -
Sprint -

Last edited:

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I'm familiar with that list, as well as willmyphonework. However, I prefer verification of carrier compatibility and performance from everyday 6S owners/users.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1633 6S. Haven't tried on all of the big 4 US carriers, but can verify it's fine on AT&T and T-Mobile. As previous poster stated, I'd take Apple's word for it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the 6s1633 unlocked model with Straight Talk on the AT&T network. It will also work on the Straight Talk T-Mobile network. Both are GSM carriers. Apple states it will work on both CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint as well.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Sorry I offered Apple's official word on the matter...
Ouch! Certainly didn't mean to offend. Maybe it would be helpful to explain my perspective: That Apple LTE site does not list Sprint nor Verizon as being compatible with the 6S A1633, which is the SIM-free 6S model. However, elsewhere on Apple's site when stepping thru the online buying process for the 6S, there's a link about learning more about the SIM-free iPhone. On that site page it says: "...The SIM-free iPhone comes without a wireless contract commitment or carrier financing. It doesn?t come with a nano-SIM card for iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus. And because it?s unlocked, it isn?t tied to one carrier, so you can get a nano-SIM from any supported carrier worldwide, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States..."
So, the LTE site page says the A1633 is not compatible with Sprint or Verizon, yet another Apple site page about the SIM-free iPhone indicates that it is compatible with Sprint and Verizon. :confused:
Earlier today, an Apple chat rep stated that the A1633 SIM-free phone is compatible with all 4 carriers, and an Apple phone rep said the same this evening as well.
I'm just trying to work thru the confusing and contradictory info from Apple sources about the 6S A1633's compatibility with other carriers. I don't want to buy the wrong phone, simple as that. One path in seeking the clarification/verification I need is to ask the 6S users if their A1633 phone is working OK on each of the 4 major carriers' networks. I regard this approach as akin to seeking empirical evidence vs relying on an engineering schematic.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Actually the link he pasted does say that the A1633 supports Sprint and Verizon. You just have to know what you're looking at when viewing the columns. Both Verizon and Sprint support 1900 MHz frequency band.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Actually the link he pasted does say that the A1633 supports Sprint and Verizon. You just have to know what you're looking at when viewing the columns. Both Verizon and Sprint support 1900 MHz frequency band.
I looked again at the details on that LTE site and I still don't see Sprint and Verizon on the list for the A1633. However, I did notice this info for the first time: "Models A1633 and A1634 also support LTE networks listed for Models A1688 and A1687." Are your comments about Sprint and Verizon being supported based on this info statement? This info statement does look to be the key to unlocking my puzzle.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I looked again at the details on that LTE site and I still don't see Sprint and Verizon on the list for the A1633. However, I did notice this info for the first time: "Models A1633 and A1634 also support LTE networks listed for Models A1688 and A1687." Are your comments about Sprint and Verizon being supported based on this info statement? This info statement does look to be the key to unlocking my puzzle.
27e366b87d1f512d49046a3f26ddb751.jpg

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think you should be fine. My sister uses Verizon. I can pop her sim out and test on my phone next time I see her and verify. I can probably find someone on sprint and test as well if you want to know for certain. I just can't guarantee how long it'll take bc I get busy and forget sometimes.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I think you should be fine. My sister uses Verizon. I can pop her sim out and test on my phone next time I see her and verify. I can probably find someone on sprint and test as well if you want to know for certain. I just can't guarantee how long it'll take bc I get busy and forget sometimes.
Yes, please verify for Verizon and Sprint. If possible, please confirm it works for send/receive for talk, text, email, MMS, and internet data (cellular). Plenty of time...about 6 weeks til purchase of the 6S. Much appreciated!

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, please verify for Verizon and Sprint. If possible, please confirm it works for send/receive for talk, text, email, MMS, and internet data (cellular). Plenty of time...about 6 weeks til purchase of the 6S. Much appreciated!

Ok. I'll see what I can do.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Verizon and Sprint aren't the only CDMA 2000 carriers in the US. If you look at the list for LTE support, there are quite a few that are using the model A1633. You should be fine.

Here is another list you might be interested in regarding iPhone features per carrier:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204039

Wishn

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Actually, an examination of https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204039 reveals a footnote attached to the "Unlocking" quality of every U.S. carrier that Apple lists as being able to unlock an iPhone. And that footnote suggests that you need to check with the individual carrier to determine if it can or will unlock a locked iPhone. I checked with my local Verizon retailer to ask this question: if I go to Apple and buy an unlocked iPhone 6s model A1633, and then first try using it on the AT&T network (which will at least temporarily lock it, once I activate it on that network), and THEN bring it to Verizon for use on the Verizon network, will that fly? And the Verizon guy said it won't. He suggested that AT&T was sort of in a class by itself in this regard. Once an iPhone is locked via AT&T, it's never going to be useable on any other CDMA network.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Actually, an examination of https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204039 reveals a footnote attached to the "Unlocking" quality of every U.S. carrier that Apple lists as being able to unlock an iPhone. And that footnote suggests that you need to check with the individual carrier to determine if it can or will unlock a locked iPhone. I checked with my local Verizon retailer to ask this question: if I go to Apple and buy an unlocked iPhone 6s model A1633, and then first try using it on the AT&T network (which will at least temporarily lock it, once I activate it on that network), and THEN bring it to Verizon for use on the Verizon network, will that fly? And the Verizon guy said it won't. He suggested that AT&T was sort of in a class by itself in this regard. Once an iPhone is locked via AT&T, it's never going to be useable on any other CDMA network.

If you buy the SIM free iPhone from Apple and put an AT&T SIM in the phone, it will not lock the phone to AT&T.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77