Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 123
Like Tree169Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Hi everyone - check this out:

    Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Come With Malfunctioning Buttons; Get The Fix Here And Find Out More

    Now, I will be the first to say I always love experimenting with the latest technology, including smartphones however this article highlights why I will always have an iPhone in my phone arsenal. I went out and purchased a Galaxy S7 Edge and experienced the exact issue noted in this article. The buttons stopped working! In addition to that, I also experienced the "Camera Failed" issue which is widely reported on Android forums.

    Before Android only enthusiasts read this and chime in, I must note that I own both iPhone and Android products and from a computing perspective both a Macbook and Windows operated laptop. I am not an "Apple Fanboy" and simply want to praise Apple for consistently producing products that "work". I have never experienced issues as significant as this with an iPhone, ever. Sure I have experienced some minor software issues that have been fixed fast but nothing that hampers the user experienced like losing the use of buttons and the camera. Now I know some may be thinking "What about bend-gate?" - honestly, that was a non issue to me, of course any smartphone is going to bend with enough pressure so I never had any concerns around that. I can't think of a single time where my iPhone buttons didn't work or I went to take a photo and couldn't, etc. Never one time I have experienced a "significant" issue after buying a new iPhone.

    Yes, Samsung will resolve these issues with a software update but I ended up returning the device. I experienced these issues on DAY ONE and it totally soured the experience for me. If it had been something like periodic browser crashes, even the odd reboot then I would have kept it but losing volume and power button functionality was a total pain in the a$$. And, going to take a photo and experiencing "Camera Failed" and having to reboot was too. By the time is finished rebooting, the photo op is gone.

    In saying this, I have a Samsung Note 5 and LOVE IT. It isn't going anywhere but neither is my iPhone 6s. Maybe Apple does need to increase innovation (feels a little stale as of late) and produce some new mind-blowing hardware (the design hasn't changed much, not that it necessarily needs to) but at the end of the day they are producing fantastical hardware with software that for the most part is free of significant user hampering issues. Like many I know who have iPhones say - "it simply works". And I agree, it does.....it works well.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Now in regard to the article, Apple, Samsung, HTC, and others all have experienced something that didn't work as intended either at release or after an update. It happens. Because of Samsung's high standing in the tech world, it is starting to get Apple-like scrutiny.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    I would agree, things can always happen however my personal experience is when things happen with the iPhone's I have owned, especially immediately after buying them, they are small in scale in comparison. Not as user impacting as I have experienced with other companies, Samsung being the one I mention today because it is fresh on my mind LOL
  4. #4  
    Thanh123's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Thanks for sharing your experince.
    BobR1908 likes this.
  5. #5  
    EhgezSharm's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Thanks for making that post
    BobR1908 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    This is subjective. Essentially because YOU haven't experienced issues with the iPhone you'll continue to use the iPhone as your daily. And that's perfectly fine. Stick with the device that has worked out for you. I don't think anyone would expect anything differently. But Apple has had issues with their products just as well. It's important to remember that typically these issues effect an extremely vocal minority. So it isn't case of Apple doing a better job at releasing products without fault. Its simply, you haven't had those devices with issues.
    w00cash1020, ectobs and libra89 like this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    This is subjective. Essentially because YOU haven't experienced issues with the iPhone you'll continue to use the iPhone as your daily. And that's perfectly fine. Stick with the device that has worked out for you. I don't think anyone would expect anything differently. But Apple has had issues with their products just as well. It's important to remember that typically these issues effect an extremely vocal minority. So it isn't case of Apple doing a better job at releasing products without fault. Its simply, you haven't had those devices with issues.
    Important to note I use both operating systems and would be curious to know what significantly impacting user issues have surfaced after an iPhone release. I am honestly asking because I cannot think of one myself and don't recall reading about any either. I am not talking about minor software glitches, I am talking about issues that fully impact the use of the phone. I lost full use of all buttons on my S7 Edge several times on the first time. Forced to reboot it (it would recognize the button sequence to do that) to resolve it. The Camera Failed issue was only resolved by rebooting as well and one instance I couldn't fix it with a simple reboot - I had to go into safe mode to clear cache and even after that it worked for a period of time and then I got the error message again.

    Both are being experienced by many with a lot of the reputable tech sites and writing about it. Also believe Samsung has released a statement but cannot 100 percent confirm that.

    As noted in my original post, I love my Note 5, I really do so this is not an Android bashing post. Simply stating the difference in issues that seem to surface compared to iPhone. My personal opinion is there is a difference.
    paulthefencer and SR45 like this.
  8. #8  
    Devilsden's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    67 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobR1908 View Post
    Important to note I use both operating systems and would be curious to know what significantly impacting user issues have surfaced after an iPhone release. I am honestly asking because I cannot think of one myself and don't recall reading about any either. I am not talking about minor software glitches, I am talking about issues that fully impact the use of the phone. I lost full use of all buttons on my S7 Edge several times on the first time. Forced to reboot it (it would recognize the button sequence to do that) to resolve it. The Camera Failed issue was only resolved by rebooting as well and one instance I couldn't fix it with a simple reboot - I had to go into safe mode to clear cache and even after that it worked for a period of time and then I got the error message again.

    Both are being experienced by many with a lot of the reputable tech sites and writing about it. Also believe Samsung has released a statement but cannot 100 percent confirm that.

    As noted in my original post, I love my Note 5, I really do so this is not an Android bashing post. Simply stating the difference in issues that seem to surface compared to iPhone. My personal opinion is there is a difference.

    Would the 6 plus bending issue be considered a similar hardware issue? As for software issues I think the biggest issue would have the be the imap release.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsden View Post
    Would the 6 plus bending issue be considered a similar hardware issue? As for software issues I think the biggest issue would have the be the imap release.
    Not in my opinion. That was blown out of proportion and certainly did not impact USE. I had a 6 Plus without a case and used it without caution and it didn't come close to bending in any way. Any phone will bend and snap with enough pressure. Again, I am talking out of the box issues hampering actual or full use of the phone.
    Just_Me_D and SR45 like this.
  10. #10  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,355 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Every device goes through their major issues. Apple is no exception, and proof of that can be found with a simple Google search.
    ectobs and libra89 like this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    I am not a novice when it comes to technology. I do not ever recall any of my iPhones and I have basically had everything from the 4s onwards released with issues significant enough or to the point of me literally not being able to use it. I understand minor glitches but please, not out of sarcasm send me a link to a significant issue like this to educate myself. Unable to find one.
    Stan Jackson likes this.
  12. #12  
    wilber1's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    I was playing with the S7 the other day at Rogers , looks and feels like a nice device however I just could not buy it now maybe I know why . I bought a 6S.
  13. #13  
    doogald's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobR1908 View Post
    Important to note I use both operating systems and would be curious to know what significantly impacting user issues have surfaced after an iPhone release. I am honestly asking because I cannot think of one myself and don't recall reading about any either. I am not talking about minor software glitches, I am talking about issues that fully impact the use of the phone.
    Not too many, but, off the top of my head:

    "Antenna-gate" - the poorly designed antenna on the iPhone 4. That affected every iPhone 4 as it originally shipped.

    There is a recall for some iPhone 6 Plus units due to a faulty iSight camera.

    There was a battery recall for the iPhone 5, as well as a recall for the sleep/wake button, that affected enough people to actually have them covered post-warranty.

    The original iOS 7 release was really buggy and many, many people hated it, and not just because of the major interface changes.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by wilber1 View Post
    I was playing with the S7 the other day at Rogers , looks and feels like a nice device however I just could not buy it now maybe I know why . I bought a 6S.
    They are beautiful pieces of hardware, no question about it. The screen is spectacular, inside specs are great and the build quality is there too. Was just a major turnoff to experience what I did out of box. It was literally unusable, I am sure they will work out the issues but with there being some significant ones out of the gate I will wait a few months before I consider one again.

    My Note 5 has been incredible so not sure how these significant issues were not caught before release.
    SR45 likes this.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Not too many, but, off the top of my head:

    "Antenna-gate" - the poorly designed antenna on the iPhone 4. That affected every iPhone 4 as it originally shipped.

    There is a recall for some iPhone 6 Plus units due to a faulty iSight camera.

    There was a battery recall for the iPhone 5, as well as a recall for the sleep/wake button, that affected enough people to actually have them covered post-warranty.

    The original iOS 7 release was really buggy and many, many people hated it, and not just because of the major interface changes.
    Thanks for sharing all this, I appreciate it. I never had a 4 but do recall the antenna issues. In saying that, the 4 is going back a number of years. Nothing recent, even going back to the 5 which is a few years now rings a bell to me. I love many things about Android and will always use both but my S7 Edge experience just made me realize how Apple simply rolls out better to prepared products out of the gate. The S7 Edge is a beautiful device but after camera failed errors and all physical buttons not responding several times in just the first day - it got old quick and was forced to return it as it was unusable.

    I should have noted that when I returned it the store said they had two others returned due to the physical buttons not working.
  16. #16  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,355 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobR1908 View Post
    I am not a novice when it comes to technology. I do not ever recall any of my iPhones and I have basically had everything from the 4s onwards released with issues significant enough or to the point of me literally not being able to use it. I understand minor glitches but please, not out of sarcasm send me a link to a significant issue like this to educate myself. Unable to find one.

    Honestly not sure why you created this thread. Everyone has voiced their opinion in response to your original opinion. If you don't agree with the responses you get that's fine, but no reason to be aggressive about it.

    It feels like no matter what responses you get that are contrary to your own you have your mind made up and no one is going to sway you otherwise. Not that anyone is trying to do any such thing. People are merely pointing out what they've seen, read or experienced and their views. Just because you disagree does not make their views or opinions any less valid.

    Respectfully speaking of course.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry_B View Post
    Honestly not sure why you created this thread. Everyone has voiced their opinion in response to your original opinion. If you don't agree with the responses you get that's fine, but no reason to be aggressive about it.

    It feels like no matter what responses you get that are contrary to your own you have your mind made up and no one is going to sway you otherwise. Not that anyone is trying to do any such thing. People are merely pointing out what they've seen, read or experienced and their views. Just because you disagree does not make their views or opinions any less valid.

    Respectfully speaking of course.
    Hi Sherry, if you take me asking for links to such issues you make mention of so I can read them and educate myself as being aggressive I apologize. Not sure how that equates to aggressive but...

    Secondly, I have never once stated any opinion via a reply of this thread as invalid. Simply holding healthy debate and adult discussion. People sharing their views and me sharing mine. If you can point me towards where I have been aggressive in any way or pointed at anyone's comment as invalid that would be cool, if you can't then please stop adding any form of drama to a thread that is not at all dramatic.

    We are all adults here, one should hope.

    With respect of course.
  18. #18  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,355 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by BobR1908 View Post
    I apologize.
    I quoted what I felt was aggressive. If you say it wasn't then I'll take your word for it. Apology accepted.
  19. #19  
    doogald's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Perhaps another way to look at this is that Samsung phones and releases have generally also been rock solid. I really wasn't aware that the S7 had issues, mostly because I wasn't paying attention, but I do know that I've read of very few, if any, initial quality issues with Samsung Galaxy and Note models going back to the S3. So, this is about as unusual as the antenna issue was with the iPhone 4.

    Pretty much the same thing goes for most major Android OEMs, particularly in the last few years. I know that you also don't read too many (if any) impactful issues with LG, HTC, Motorola, and now Huawei as well. (The 6s is my first iPhone, though I've paid attention to the platform from the beginning, and I used Android phones from late 2009 - 2015.)

    That's good news for everybody, no matter which platform or manufacturer you prefer.
    BobR1908 likes this.
  20. #20  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,355 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Perhaps another way to look at this is that Samsung phones and releases have generally also been rock solid. I really wasn't aware that the S7 had issues, mostly because I wasn't paying attention, but I do know that I've read of very few, if any, initial quality issues with Samsung Galaxy and Note models going back to the S3. So, this is about as unusual as the antenna issue was with the iPhone 4.
    Agreed. I've loved the Galaxy and S versions of the Samsung phones that I've owned, and the LG's. They've been great phones for me (My S4 began having some small issues recently, which was an excuse for a new phone, but my Galaxy is still rock solid without any issues whatsoever and still running an old version of SlimRom lol). Most of all I've enjoyed rooting and fiddling with custom roms on all but one Android device in our house. We decided to keep the Galaxy Note 10.1 stock, and it also has been running smooth since the day we bought it despite being what some call outdated.

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    The 6s is my first iPhone, though I've paid attention to the platform from the beginning, and I used Android phones from late 2009 - 2015.)

    That's good news for everybody, no matter which platform or manufacturer you prefer.
    Also agree. Just bought my first iPhone in January. Really love the 6s. As with most of my phones, I won't update to a newer one until this one is having hardware issues.
    BobR1908 and jianrong like this.
  21. #21  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    562 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Not too many, but, off the top of my head:

    "Antenna-gate" - the poorly designed antenna on the iPhone 4. That affected every iPhone 4 as it originally shipped.

    There is a recall for some iPhone 6 Plus units due to a faulty iSight camera.

    There was a battery recall for the iPhone 5, as well as a recall for the sleep/wake button, that affected enough people to actually have them covered post-warranty.

    The original iOS 7 release was really buggy and many, many people hated it, and not just because of the major interface changes.
    Well antenna-gate was way over blown as far as I am concerned. I never could replicate the condition no matter how I tried, and then of course, Apple did fix the design with the iPhone 4 CDMA.
    BobR1908 and JBDragon1 like this.
  22. #22  
    Stan Jackson's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    62 Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    I agree. I've had the 4, 5, 6, now the 6s plus. I cant recall any major hardware or software issues; and the 4 and 5 were phones bought off craigslist. If I was to ever switch back, it would be a Note or a Nexus. But, the IPhone does everything I need so I'm good.
    BobR1908 likes this.
  23. #23  
    bizymare's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    We have five iPhones, five iPads, and a Galaxy 4S. I have made plenty of trips to the Apple store for reasons inflicted upon us ourselves and reasons we had no explanation for. I appreciate the "it's not working out of the box" feeling but I also understand those things usually get fixed fairly quickly. I love my Galaxy and will never give it up but I love my iPhone equally. It's just always good to know you're not alone in any particular issue.
  24. #24  

    Default This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    I have only one reason why I will stay with Apple iPhones, I LIKE APPLE iPHONES. I've had Blackberry devices, Android devices and now Apple devices. The Apple iPhone just works for ME and the way I use MY smartphone.....No fancy reasons/remarks...I just like The Apple iPhone.
    I just wish I would have switched to iPhones a lot sooner than I did to be honest.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    BobR1908's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

    Default Re: This is why I will always have an iPhone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerdl View Post
    I have only one reason why I will stay with Apple iPhones, I LIKE APPLE iPHONES. I've had Blackberry devices, Android devices and now Apple devices. The Apple iPhone just works for ME and the way I use MY smartphone.....No fancy reasons/remarks...I just like The Apple iPhone.
    I just wish I would have switched to iPhones a lot soon than I did to be honest.
    I agree. While I love my Note 5 and also my Lumia 1020 too, if I had to stay with one phone it would be my iPhone 6s all day long.
    Spencerdl likes this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone SE and the ultimate iPad justifier
    By PenguinOnStilts in forum iPhone SE
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
  2. How can I disable an I pad from my apple account?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 01:40 PM
  3. iHeart Radio has an AppleTV app now...
    By kch50428 in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 01:13 PM
  4. Supposed iPhone SE packaging leak points to Apple Pay support
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 10:22 AM
  5. Why is my Whatsapp Chat not sorted chronologically?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 08:39 AM

Posting Permissions