This is why I will always have an iPhone!

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone - check this out:

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Come With Malfunctioning Buttons; Get The Fix Here And Find Out More

Now, I will be the first to say I always love experimenting with the latest technology, including smartphones however this article highlights why I will always have an iPhone in my phone arsenal. I went out and purchased a Galaxy S7 Edge and experienced the exact issue noted in this article. The buttons stopped working! In addition to that, I also experienced the "Camera Failed" issue which is widely reported on Android forums.

Before Android only enthusiasts read this and chime in, I must note that I own both iPhone and Android products and from a computing perspective both a Macbook and Windows operated laptop. I am not an "Apple Fanboy" and simply want to praise Apple for consistently producing products that "work". I have never experienced issues as significant as this with an iPhone, ever. Sure I have experienced some minor software issues that have been fixed fast but nothing that hampers the user experienced like losing the use of buttons and the camera. Now I know some may be thinking "What about bend-gate?" - honestly, that was a non issue to me, of course any smartphone is going to bend with enough pressure so I never had any concerns around that. I can't think of a single time where my iPhone buttons didn't work or I went to take a photo and couldn't, etc. Never one time I have experienced a "significant" issue after buying a new iPhone.

Yes, Samsung will resolve these issues with a software update but I ended up returning the device. I experienced these issues on DAY ONE and it totally soured the experience for me. If it had been something like periodic browser crashes, even the odd reboot then I would have kept it but losing volume and power button functionality was a total pain in the a$$. And, going to take a photo and experiencing "Camera Failed" and having to reboot was too. By the time is finished rebooting, the photo op is gone.

In saying this, I have a Samsung Note 5 and LOVE IT. It isn't going anywhere but neither is my iPhone 6s. Maybe Apple does need to increase innovation (feels a little stale as of late) and produce some new mind-blowing hardware (the design hasn't changed much, not that it necessarily needs to) but at the end of the day they are producing fantastical hardware with software that for the most part is free of significant user hampering issues. Like many I know who have iPhones say - "it simply works". And I agree, it does.....it works well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Now in regard to the article, Apple, Samsung, HTC, and others all have experienced something that didn't work as intended either at release or after an update. It happens. Because of Samsung's high standing in the tech world, it is starting to get Apple-like scrutiny.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I would agree, things can always happen however my personal experience is when things happen with the iPhone's I have owned, especially immediately after buying them, they are small in scale in comparison. Not as user impacting as I have experienced with other companies, Samsung being the one I mention today because it is fresh on my mind LOL

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This is subjective. Essentially because YOU haven't experienced issues with the iPhone you'll continue to use the iPhone as your daily. And that's perfectly fine. Stick with the device that has worked out for you. I don't think anyone would expect anything differently. But Apple has had issues with their products just as well. It's important to remember that typically these issues effect an extremely vocal minority. So it isn't case of Apple doing a better job at releasing products without fault. Its simply, you haven't had those devices with issues.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
This is subjective. Essentially because YOU haven't experienced issues with the iPhone you'll continue to use the iPhone as your daily. And that's perfectly fine. Stick with the device that has worked out for you. I don't think anyone would expect anything differently. But Apple has had issues with their products just as well. It's important to remember that typically these issues effect an extremely vocal minority. So it isn't case of Apple doing a better job at releasing products without fault. Its simply, you haven't had those devices with issues.

Important to note I use both operating systems and would be curious to know what significantly impacting user issues have surfaced after an iPhone release. I am honestly asking because I cannot think of one myself and don't recall reading about any either. I am not talking about minor software glitches, I am talking about issues that fully impact the use of the phone. I lost full use of all buttons on my S7 Edge several times on the first time. Forced to reboot it (it would recognize the button sequence to do that) to resolve it. The Camera Failed issue was only resolved by rebooting as well and one instance I couldn't fix it with a simple reboot - I had to go into safe mode to clear cache and even after that it worked for a period of time and then I got the error message again.

Both are being experienced by many with a lot of the reputable tech sites and writing about it. Also believe Samsung has released a statement but cannot 100 percent confirm that.

As noted in my original post, I love my Note 5, I really do so this is not an Android bashing post. Simply stating the difference in issues that seem to surface compared to iPhone. My personal opinion is there is a difference.

Devilsden

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Important to note I use both operating systems and would be curious to know what significantly impacting user issues have surfaced after an iPhone release. I am honestly asking because I cannot think of one myself and don't recall reading about any either. I am not talking about minor software glitches, I am talking about issues that fully impact the use of the phone. I lost full use of all buttons on my S7 Edge several times on the first time. Forced to reboot it (it would recognize the button sequence to do that) to resolve it. The Camera Failed issue was only resolved by rebooting as well and one instance I couldn't fix it with a simple reboot - I had to go into safe mode to clear cache and even after that it worked for a period of time and then I got the error message again.

Both are being experienced by many with a lot of the reputable tech sites and writing about it. Also believe Samsung has released a statement but cannot 100 percent confirm that.

As noted in my original post, I love my Note 5, I really do so this is not an Android bashing post. Simply stating the difference in issues that seem to surface compared to iPhone. My personal opinion is there is a difference.

Would the 6 plus bending issue be considered a similar hardware issue? As for software issues I think the biggest issue would have the be the imap release.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Would the 6 plus bending issue be considered a similar hardware issue? As for software issues I think the biggest issue would have the be the imap release.

Not in my opinion. That was blown out of proportion and certainly did not impact USE. I had a 6 Plus without a case and used it without caution and it didn't come close to bending in any way. Any phone will bend and snap with enough pressure. Again, I am talking out of the box issues hampering actual or full use of the phone.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Every device goes through their major issues. Apple is no exception, and proof of that can be found with a simple Google search.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I am not a novice when it comes to technology. I do not ever recall any of my iPhones and I have basically had everything from the 4s onwards released with issues significant enough or to the point of me literally not being able to use it. I understand minor glitches but please, not out of sarcasm send me a link to a significant issue like this to educate myself. Unable to find one.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I was playing with the S7 the other day at Rogers , looks and feels like a nice device however I just could not buy it now maybe I know why . I bought a 6S.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Important to note I use both operating systems and would be curious to know what significantly impacting user issues have surfaced after an iPhone release. I am honestly asking because I cannot think of one myself and don't recall reading about any either. I am not talking about minor software glitches, I am talking about issues that fully impact the use of the phone.

Not too many, but, off the top of my head:

"Antenna-gate" - the poorly designed antenna on the iPhone 4. That affected every iPhone 4 as it originally shipped.

There is a recall for some iPhone 6 Plus units due to a faulty iSight camera.

There was a battery recall for the iPhone 5, as well as a recall for the sleep/wake button, that affected enough people to actually have them covered post-warranty.

The original iOS 7 release was really buggy and many, many people hated it, and not just because of the major interface changes.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I was playing with the S7 the other day at Rogers , looks and feels like a nice device however I just could not buy it now maybe I know why . I bought a 6S.

They are beautiful pieces of hardware, no question about it. The screen is spectacular, inside specs are great and the build quality is there too. Was just a major turnoff to experience what I did out of box. It was literally unusable, I am sure they will work out the issues but with there being some significant ones out of the gate I will wait a few months before I consider one again.

My Note 5 has been incredible so not sure how these significant issues were not caught before release.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Not too many, but, off the top of my head:

"Antenna-gate" - the poorly designed antenna on the iPhone 4. That affected every iPhone 4 as it originally shipped.

There is a recall for some iPhone 6 Plus units due to a faulty iSight camera.

There was a battery recall for the iPhone 5, as well as a recall for the sleep/wake button, that affected enough people to actually have them covered post-warranty.

The original iOS 7 release was really buggy and many, many people hated it, and not just because of the major interface changes.

Thanks for sharing all this, I appreciate it. I never had a 4 but do recall the antenna issues. In saying that, the 4 is going back a number of years. Nothing recent, even going back to the 5 which is a few years now rings a bell to me. I love many things about Android and will always use both but my S7 Edge experience just made me realize how Apple simply rolls out better to prepared products out of the gate. The S7 Edge is a beautiful device but after camera failed errors and all physical buttons not responding several times in just the first day - it got old quick and was forced to return it as it was unusable.

I should have noted that when I returned it the store said they had two others returned due to the physical buttons not working.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am not a novice when it comes to technology. I do not ever recall any of my iPhones and I have basically had everything from the 4s onwards released with issues significant enough or to the point of me literally not being able to use it. I understand minor glitches but please, not out of sarcasm send me a link to a significant issue like this to educate myself. Unable to find one.

Honestly not sure why you created this thread. Everyone has voiced their opinion in response to your original opinion. If you don't agree with the responses you get that's fine, but no reason to be aggressive about it.

It feels like no matter what responses you get that are contrary to your own you have your mind made up and no one is going to sway you otherwise. Not that anyone is trying to do any such thing. People are merely pointing out what they've seen, read or experienced and their views. Just because you disagree does not make their views or opinions any less valid.

Respectfully speaking of course.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Honestly not sure why you created this thread. Everyone has voiced their opinion in response to your original opinion. If you don't agree with the responses you get that's fine, but no reason to be aggressive about it.

It feels like no matter what responses you get that are contrary to your own you have your mind made up and no one is going to sway you otherwise. Not that anyone is trying to do any such thing. People are merely pointing out what they've seen, read or experienced and their views. Just because you disagree does not make their views or opinions any less valid.

Respectfully speaking of course.

Hi Sherry, if you take me asking for links to such issues you make mention of so I can read them and educate myself as being aggressive I apologize. Not sure how that equates to aggressive but...

Secondly, I have never once stated any opinion via a reply of this thread as invalid. Simply holding healthy debate and adult discussion. People sharing their views and me sharing mine. If you can point me towards where I have been aggressive in any way or pointed at anyone's comment as invalid that would be cool, if you can't then please stop adding any form of drama to a thread that is not at all dramatic.

We are all adults here, one should hope.

With respect of course.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps another way to look at this is that Samsung phones and releases have generally also been rock solid. I really wasn't aware that the S7 had issues, mostly because I wasn't paying attention, but I do know that I've read of very few, if any, initial quality issues with Samsung Galaxy and Note models going back to the S3. So, this is about as unusual as the antenna issue was with the iPhone 4.

Pretty much the same thing goes for most major Android OEMs, particularly in the last few years. I know that you also don't read too many (if any) impactful issues with LG, HTC, Motorola, and now Huawei as well. (The 6s is my first iPhone, though I've paid attention to the platform from the beginning, and I used Android phones from late 2009 - 2015.)

That's good news for everybody, no matter which platform or manufacturer you prefer.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps another way to look at this is that Samsung phones and releases have generally also been rock solid. I really wasn't aware that the S7 had issues, mostly because I wasn't paying attention, but I do know that I've read of very few, if any, initial quality issues with Samsung Galaxy and Note models going back to the S3. So, this is about as unusual as the antenna issue was with the iPhone 4.

Agreed. I've loved the Galaxy and S versions of the Samsung phones that I've owned, and the LG's. They've been great phones for me (My S4 began having some small issues recently, which was an excuse for a new phone, but my Galaxy is still rock solid without any issues whatsoever and still running an old version of SlimRom lol). Most of all I've enjoyed rooting and fiddling with custom roms on all but one Android device in our house. We decided to keep the Galaxy Note 10.1 stock, and it also has been running smooth since the day we bought it despite being what some call outdated.

The 6s is my first iPhone, though I've paid attention to the platform from the beginning, and I used Android phones from late 2009 - 2015.)

That's good news for everybody, no matter which platform or manufacturer you prefer.

Also agree. Just bought my first iPhone in January. Really love the 6s. As with most of my phones, I won't update to a newer one until this one is having hardware issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal