Need help for an issue I am facing on my 6s, why do I hear static when I have my earphones plugged in?

Lumeeya

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Need help for an issue I am facing on my 6s

Hello there iMore community, I am in need for your communal help for a question I have.

When using earphones, do you hear static noises while scrolling through instagram videos even when no sound is playing ? Do you hear static sounds when no sound or app is playing on your smartphone and you're just chilling with your earphones in a quiet environment (sounds weird but I do that sometimes) ? The static sound I am experiencing is not the sound you hear during the initial plug-in of your earphone, it is a single and intermittent 'pop' sound that can be heard and is not very loud but can be distinct in a quiet environment.

The reason I am asking this question is because I bought a 64gb Space Grey 6S as my first iPhone. After a few weeks of usage, I became aware of the issue I have just described above. It only happens when you use earphones. I have tested this with multiple earpods as well as third party earphones and have done an iTunes restore to no avail. Restoring it from 9.2.1 to 9.2 did not seem to solve the issue.

I have had 4 Genius Bar appointments in which my phone was replaced twice and both phones still had the same problem. I went to my 5th Genius appointment pointing out the situation and the support staff told me that he hears the pop sounds too when using instagram, commenting that it is normal. He got another staff member to explain to me that since they have had both the phone and earpods replaced, it seems to be normal. He went on to explain that this is a sort of feedback that the phone gives when earphones are plugged in so using an earphone when not playing any sort of app or music will certainly produce that noise. I asked him whether this is true for all smartphones and he said yes.

So, to all technophiles and audio experts, is this truly normal ? If it is, I rest my case. Frustrated with this problem.

TL;DR Phone has audio issues in which popping sounds can be heard through earphones. This recurs even when I got my phone replaced. Apple Support says it's normal on my 5th appointment. Is it really normal ?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need help for an issue I am facing on my 6s

Do you live in a dry environment? I suspect (since it happens on multiple phones and earbuds) that it is caused by static discharge through the earbuds.

See another thread: http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6s/3...s-64gb-space-grey-has-anyone-experienced.html

I have not had this experience with my 6s, which was bought in early October. But, I don't live in a place with very low humidity.

[edit] When I say static discharge, I mean that somehow you or your clothing is building up static electricity and it is discharging through the earbud wire, similar to what would happen if you touched a car or a doorknob or something.

Lumeeya

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site

I misread your post regarding static the first time. As I understand, you are referring to the static shock that some people have experienced when putting on their earphones. My problem here is about static noise, specifically a 'popping' sound through the earphones. Not the feel of getting a shock, more of a sound. And yes that thread describes a similar problem as to mine. This issue doesn't seem to happen on a Samsung GS6 and my previos Nokia Lumia. Not sure if I should accept it as normal behaviour.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Need help for an issue I am facing on my 6s

Hello there iMore community, I am in need for your communal help for a question I have.

When using earphones, do you hear static noises while scrolling through instagram videos even when no sound is playing ? Do you hear static sounds when no sound or app is playing on your smartphone and you're just chilling with your earphones in a quiet environment (sounds weird but I do that sometimes) ? The static sound I am experiencing is not the sound you hear during the initial plug-in of your earphone, it is a single and intermittent 'pop' sound that can be heard and is not very loud but can be distinct in a quiet environment.

The reason I am asking this question is because I bought a 64gb Space Grey 6S as my first iPhone. After a few weeks of usage, I became aware of the issue I have just described above. It only happens when you use earphones. I have tested this with multiple earpods as well as third party earphones and have done an iTunes restore to no avail. Restoring it from 9.2.1 to 9.2 did not seem to solve the issue.

I have had 4 Genius Bar appointments in which my phone was replaced twice and both phones still had the same problem. I went to my 5th Genius appointment pointing out the situation and the support staff told me that he hears the pop sounds too when using instagram, commenting that it is normal. He got another staff member to explain to me that since they have had both the phone and earpods replaced, it seems to be normal. He went on to explain that this is a sort of feedback that the phone gives when earphones are plugged in so using an earphone when not playing any sort of app or music will certainly produce that noise. I asked him whether this is true for all smartphones and he said yes.

So, to all technophiles and audio experts, is this truly normal ? If it is, I rest my case. Frustrated with this problem.

TL;DR Phone has audio issues in which popping sounds can be heard through earphones. This recurs even when I got my phone replaced. Apple Support says it's normal on my 5th appointment. Is it really normal ?

Yes, only when wearing a staticky hoodie or sweater. I can duplicate this sound every time. My home is very dry also. It didn't seem to happen with other iPhones. I definitely notice the sound now.

Lumeeya

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site

I hear the 'popping' sound even when wearing cotton. Doesn't happen on other phones though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't talking only about feeling a static shock. This doesn't happen to me often, but occasionally when I am out running in chilly temperatures, I'll be wearing two layers of shirts that are moisture wicking, one short sleeve and one long-sleeve. If I do something like remove the long-sleeve shirt with the earbuds in my ears, the static discharge will go through the earbud wire (I run the wire between the two shirts) and I definitely hear popping, but I don't always feel a shock.

Apple has a page about this, though they talk about feeling a shock rather than hearing a pop: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203298

But if you are hearing this *only* while you are using Instagram (it's hard to tell from your initial post if it happens only then), then I wonder if it is something in the app? I don't use Instagram, but does Instagram have a setting that automatically play videos? Is it possible that a video (and the audio along with it) is starting as you are scrolling then stops when you scroll past it? You may not hear the pop through the phone speaker when buds aren't plugged in, but with earbuds it may be easier to hear.

Lumeeya

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site

Hmm, how do I check to make sure that static is/is not a potential cause ? I usually wear cotton in my room which is sufficiently heated by radiators.

This doesn't happen only in instagram although it is more prominent in the app. Instagram doesn't have a 'disable auto-play' setting as far as I know and their video usually plays w/o sound unless the user taps for the option.

The issue happens when I use the music app as well, specifically when I stop a music and reopen the app, also happens 20 secs after i stop playing a video in the videos app. Typing on whatsapp causes that sound as well. The most confusing thing about this is that even when no sound is playing and no apps are running, there will be a 'pop' sound approximately 10 secs after you sleep the phone (I measured LOL, I'm crazy haha) and intermittently after you sleep the phone. I've restored it multiple times with iTunes and used it without updating to 9.2 to no avail. Since the employee says that it is normal for every smartphone, I will be checking it on more phones to see. So far checked an ASUS Zenfone 2 and it doesn't have the sound.

Thanks for keeping check on this thread doogald. I appreciate it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I saw two other solutions on an apple support thread, but it was about the iPhone 6, not 6s, and I'm not sure If Apple fixed their problem.

One solution was in Settings / music / volume limit. Turn off EU Volume limit if you see it there (and, since you're in the uk, I bet you will.)

The other solution was detailed in this article by the wirecutter: http://thewirecutter.com/2015/03/a-word-on-the-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-and-third-party-headphones/ but that suggests that apple earbuds don't have this issue, and says nothing about the 6s series. Still, it may worth a shot to try a spare silicone earbud piece or even a piece of dental floss to create a spacer for the headphone jack on the earbuds you're using. I also wonder if switching to a pair of earbuds that use the Lightning connector or Bluetooth would solve the problem?

Good luck; I hope you figure it out.

ricktec86

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello there. i also experience that static/popping sound problem . you can hear it clearly if you try to play music then change the volume using the buttons on the upper left corner of your phone or the volume of your earphone , press it until it shows "mute" while playing a music , then you will hear a static/pop noise , after this increase the volume by 1 bar you can hear it pop again . do this back and fourth you will hear it (try in a quiet environment). Also go to the Settings > Music > Volume limit , move the scroll to the left ( volume limit at min. ) try this by playing Music and adjust the volume through the earphone or left corner volume button. it will be more clearer no hear. I still have no idea how to fix this and if you have please tell me .

Nic Freeman

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello there. i also experience that static/popping sound problem . you can hear it clearly if you try to play music then change the volume using the buttons on the upper left corner of your phone or the volume of your earphone , press it until it shows "mute" while playing a music , then you will hear a static/pop noise , after this increase the volume by 1 bar you can hear it pop again . do this back and fourth you will hear it (try in a quiet environment). Also go to the Settings > Music > Volume limit , move the scroll to the left ( volume limit at min. ) try this by playing Music and adjust the volume through the earphone or left corner volume button. it will be more clearer no hear. I still have no idea how to fix this and if you have please tell me .

I got the same issue. Have you fix it? if you have any clue of how to fix it please let me know.. Thx!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
have you fixed it dude? it's pretty annoying.

Have you tried Reset All Settings?

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Nic Freeman

May 22, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried Reset All Settings?

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

I've tried this morning and everything remains the same. So weird!
but honestly, it's not that annoying. When like listening to songs or watching a video there is no any difference except the very start of the song or when you stop the song few secs later there's a slight "pop" sound. If the circumstance is quiet it's very explicit

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've tried this morning and everything remains the same. So weird!
but honestly, it's not that annoying. When like listening to songs or watching a video there is no any difference except the very start of the song or when you stop the song few secs later there's a slight "pop" sound. If the circumstance is quiet it's very explicit

In researching this, I see many others experiencing the same. If it gets too annoying, maybe it's time to invest in a Bluetooth headset. From what I've read, it doesn't occur with Bluetooth. Make sure all your ports are cleaned out good. Real dry air does seem to affect it.

Nic Freeman

May 22, 2017
Visit site
In researching this, I see many others experiencing the same. If it gets too annoying, maybe it's time to invest in a Bluetooth headset. From what I've read, it doesn't occur with Bluetooth. Make sure all your ports are cleaned out good. Real dry air does seem to affect it.

I guess a Bluetooth headset is what I can do.
anyway. Thanks bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2