Back ground refresh

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I leave it on, didn't find much battery difference. I do go through and turn off some apps that I don't use much or care if they refresh. Apps that you use often should be left enabled.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple added "background App Refresh" to help apps run in the background more efficiently. As far as I can tell, the refresh itself doesn't have much affect on the battery life. Apps running in the background too much does. But most don't run much in the background. I used to keep Background App Refresh turned off. Until I read about what it does. I keep it on now. I have a small number of apps that run too much. I try keeping those swiped out of multitasking.

Note: Turning off Background App Refresh does not prevent apps from running in the background. They do so regardless.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I keep it on for those apps that I want to refresh their data in the background. I turn it off for those that I don't.

It doesn't negatively affect the battery life.

clickitykeys

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
For me, it isn't about the battery but about the cellular data usage, i.e., when one is not on WiFi. "Background App Refresh" can use up a lot of data, so I turned it off.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has it backwards. A battery glutton app needs the refresh to run more efficiently! The insignificant apps are the ones you can turn off in Background App Refresh.

Facebook is using a fraction of the battery life it was prior to turning off background app refresh.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Facebook is using a fraction of the battery life it was prior to turning off background app refresh.

I never noticed a difference. The only difference I saw was swiping Facebook out of multitasking. What really made a big impact on my battery life was going back to location services and turning off stuff. I had accumulated new apps that were using location "always". After setting all that, my battery life improved a lot. I kept noticing my battery going down too fast. Facebook was nothing compared to location. And I keep Facebook toggled off in location. If I share on Facebook where we eat, I turn it on, but turn it off when done.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has it backwards. A battery glutton app needs the refresh to run more efficiently! The insignificant apps are the ones you can turn off in Background App Refresh.

That's why I do it for apps I don't use much or ones like FB that are known hogs. I also do what you do and limit my location access to apps that really need it, like Untappd.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR