If an iPhone 6s its s.n is [redacted] where is this phone made?

I

iMore Question

hi if iphone 6s its s.n is [redacted] where this phone made

Hi if iphone 6s its serial number is [redacted] where this phone made

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: hi if iphone 6s its s.n is [redacted] where this phone made

Please do not post information such as serial numbers in the forums for your protection. Thank you. As for your question, I do not know where your iPhone was made.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
hi if iphone 6s its s.n is [redacted] where this phone made

Welcome to iMore! Regardless of what the serial number is it was probably made in China. It should say "Assembled in China" on the back of the phone itself.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Please do not post information such as serial numbers in the forums for your protection. Thank you. As for your question, I do not know where your iPhone was made.

What's the harm in the serial number? Just wondering if there's something to worry about in disclosing serial numbers?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What's the harm in the serial number? Just wondering if there's something to worry about in disclosing serial numbers?

What can be done with a serial number?

I'll give you one example. The serial number is unique to each device, right? Let's say I knew you had an iPhone 6S and so really wanted one. If I can acquire your serial number then it's possible that I can report the device stolen to police. That could lead to unnecessary drama for you.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I'll give you one example. The serial number is unique to each device, right? Let's say I knew you had an iPhone 6S and so really wanted one. If I can acquire your serial number then it's possible that I can report the device stolen to police. That could lead to unnecessary drama for you.

I wasn't aware that could be done with a serial number. My experience in wireless had that being accomplished using the imei/Meid/ESN numbers. Not the serial numbers as there is no activation information attached to that. The serial is for Apple whereas the other numbers relate to the carriers. Good to know otherwise.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I wasn't aware that could be done with a serial number. My experience in wireless had that being accomplished using the imei/Meid/ESN numbers. Not the serial numbers as there is no activation information attached to that. The serial is for Apple whereas the other numbers relate to the carriers. Good to know otherwise.

Yes the serial number can be used to report a phone as stolen.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

There's a few other nefarious things that can be done with the serial number, but it's not wise to state what those things are here on iMore (or anywhere else). Think of the serial number the same way you would think of the VIN number on a car. Just something that isn't shared. ;)