Taking a att unlocked 6s to T-Mobile?

lloydpearsoniv

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T version of the iPhone 6s has 1 more lte band than the iPhone 6s offered by the other carriers so you are better off keeping the one that you have.

T-mobile has come a long way and GSM is a better technology than CDMA. In order to use simultaneous voice & data with Verizon, you have to be in lte coverage and have lte set to voice and data on in your phone which isn't done automatically by default. Verizon also doesn't have wifi calling yet. Right now, t-mobile is kicking everybody as far as what it's offering at its price point.

Don't forget about the music freedom and Binge on features which allow you to stream music and video without it coming out of your data alotment

Last edited by a moderator:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the AT&T and the SIM free model are the same. So Verizon will activate it.

As long as it is unlocked, paid in full and free of any obligations to AT&T. The phone is physically compatible and has the required hardware to work.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
As long as it is unlocked, paid in full and free of any obligations to AT&T. The phone is physically compatible and has the required hardware to work.

This is exactly why I went with Apple's program for my 6s Plus (plus I'm an AppleCare+ guy anyways because I have a propensity to drop my phone). I've spent too much of my life getting into bed with wireless carriers. I love the freedom to go to whichever carrier I choose. If Big Red messes up, I pack up and leave.

ewelch

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 6s is the first to have the radios inside for T-Mobile's latest data speeds. I'm pretty happy with my T-Mobile phone. I just unlocked my 5s so I can give the phone to a friend in Brazil. It was a quite easy process done on AT&Ts website.

And does anybody here use an "an" before a word that starts with a vowel sound? Sheesh. (My old journalist hat just kicked in, sorry.)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly why I went with Apple's program for my 6s Plus (plus I'm an AppleCare+ guy anyways because I have a propensity to drop my phone). I've spent too much of my life getting into bed with wireless carriers. I love the freedom to go to whichever carrier I choose. If Big Red messes up, I pack up and leave.

I want to go with the apple program, but I can't if I want to trade my phone in. See, if I pay the 624 to get it payed off, I would then sell the phone on gazelle for about 370. That means I'm out over 200 bucks. Even though I plan on getting apple care anyway with my 6s plus, I don't know if that's a good deal or not compared to just having T-Mobile reimburse my ETF.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to go with the apple program, but I can't if I want to trade my phone in. See, if I pay the 624 to get it payed off, I would then sell the phone on gazelle for about 370. That means I'm out over 200 bucks. Even though I plan on getting apple care anyway with my 6s plus, I don't know if that's a good deal or not compared to just having T-Mobile reimburse my ETF.

Probably wouldn't sense in your case but it is nice not being strapped to a carrier.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And does anybody here use an "an" before a word that starts with a vowel sound? Sheesh. (My old journalist hat just kicked in, sorry.)

I've noticed that too but we aren't exactly writing scholarly journals on iMore forums.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm still going back and forth and wether I want to go back to the plus. I do want more battery life, but the 6s does feel better in the hand and pocket. Although I do a lot of video watching and game playing so a big screen will be beneficial

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Best thing you can do is ask people who live near you what carrier they're with and how their service is. You might find that T-Mobile is great and love the service and the savings. I did that in September when deciding between Verizon and AT&T. The great thing is that I have no obligation to any carrier so, just as you said, I can switch at any time!

You can also poke around RootMetrics:

Cell Phone Coverage Map by RootMetrics

https://appsto.re/us/wEV0x.i

papasurf

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Was your experience recent? As in the last 3 months? T-Mobile isn't gaining millions of customers lately to give them a bad experience. I have a great experience on iPhone 6S PLUS and T-Mobile. iPhone 6s is Apples first phone with band 12 and it allows very good in building signal on T-Mobile. But whatever network works best for your iPhone and your wallet $$ is great. recently I bought a cheap AT&T Go Phone and had them unlock it. It works great on T-Mobile wherever I travel.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Was your experience recent? As in the last 3 months? T-Mobile isn't gaining millions of customers lately to give them a bad experience. I have a great experience on iPhone 6S PLUS and T-Mobile. iPhone 6s is Apples first phone with band 12 and it allows very good in building signal on T-Mobile. But whatever network works best for your iPhone and your wallet $$ is great. recently I bought a cheap AT&T Go Phone and had them unlock it. It works great on T-Mobile wherever I travel.
Agreed about the 6S and in my case, the 6S and 6S+, both have much improved reception on T-Mobile over my older 6+.

Over the past year, my main phones were a Note 4 and a Note Edge. Both of those phones had much better coverage then the 6+ did. It was pretty much anywhere I went here in Denver/Aurora/Broomfield in Colorado, I had coverage on those two phones. There was only one half mile area in my area where I had no data. With the iPhone 6+, I had slightly worse data coverage.

Since buying both the 6S and 6S+, both of those phones have identical coverage now as the two Note phones did. I also now have a Note 5 and it too has the same coverage now as the 6S and 6S+. I can go anywhere in those three cities here in Colorado and never lose data coverage or have a dropped call.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking about going to T-Mobile and getting rid of Verizon and their "hidden fees", every other month my bill seems to be getting higher and higher....I've really had enough.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking about going to T-Mobile and getting rid of Verizon and their "hidden fees", every other month my bill seems to be getting higher and higher....I've really had enough.

Mine hasn't changed at all. I'm satisfied with Verizon. No issues whatsoever. What hidden fees?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I just have to be patient for 3 weeks I guess. Hopefully T-Mobile dosent stop that deal where they pay off your phone before then. I highly doubt they will, but even if they did then I can just pay off the 6s myself, sell it, then go on apples payment plan.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I just have to be patient for 3 weeks I guess. Hopefully T-Mobile dosent stop that deal where they pay off your phone before then. I highly doubt they will, but even if they did then I can just pay off the 6s myself, sell it, then go on apples payment plan.

I doubt they will stop the buyback offer anytime soon. The pink guys and the yellow guys are pretty much always offering something to steal business from the red guys and the blue guys.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
You are free to do so.

Sure I can. Just as you are free to share your experience in your previous post, I can share mine.

That seems highly unlikely at this point.

We flew out to DC (no service there) and then drove (no service) down to Charleston West Virginia (no service) to see Keith Urban. No service at the Civic Center, so I couldn't share concert photos in real time with my friends on FB. No service all the way back up either. The following summer we flew my daughter out to Orlando and met up with her there (spotty service, had nothing most of the time) to go to Universal Studios. From there we flew up to Tennessee to see Keith Urban. Once again we had no service. Not at the hotel, not at the concert, and not on the road back to the airport. The summer before that we flew my son out and then drove him down to Gatlinburg Tennessee for vacation. No service the entire trip there or back. If it weren't for wifi at all the hotels we stayed in we would of had nothing.

When my daughter visits her dad (on T-Mobile) in Washington State she'll sometimes call me from his cell. We end up having to hang up so she can call from her bothers phone (On Straight Talk via AT&T) just so I can hear her clearly. My Fiance' at one point was traveling every week for almost 2 years from Chicago to Cupertino California for his job, and on T-Mobile he never had service, and the GPS in Life 360 would have him clear across the county instead of in the Amazon building where he was working. He could never call me from Chicago O'Hare or from the airport in San Francisco.. no service.

This past summer we few my son out to Orlando and met up with him there, same as my daughter, to go to Universal Studios. On Straight Talk over AT&T network not once did we go without service. This July when we fly out to Portland to see my family and then drive up to Seattle to see Adele we will have service... because we're not on T-Mobile. This October when we go to see Keith Urban again we will have service... because we're not on T-Mobile.

We travel. A lot. It's nice if you have a T-Mobile tower in your backyard, but if you travel then be prepared not to have much service, if any at all.

Hopefully you'll glean two things from this. That I have a legitimate complaint with T-Mobile, and that I love Keith Urban. ;)

When you start saying you or they never had coverage it makes the story sound less likely. Even if coverage is spotty the chances of no service over the course of two years is remote. I travel through Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Iowa for work and had Verizon for the last 5 years. I switched to tmobile two months ago and can tell you tmobile has stepped up in a big way over the last few years where there was no coverage in rural areas there has been lte. Everyone has a different story but tmobile has done a lot of work to improve their network.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh