Taking a att unlocked 6s to T-Mobile?

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I'm pretty set on T-Mobile. I do appreciate others telling me there experiences though. I didn't take it as someone telling me what to do or something like that. I asked for opinions and I got opinions. So mission accomplished. My only decision left is wether to have T-Mobile buy out my 6s and then pay monthly for a 6s plus or to pay out my iPhone myself on att, get it unlocked, and use it on T-Mobile.

They bought me out of my Verizon contract and then I leased a new 6s through TMobile. The whole process was smooth and the plus side is I get some extra money each mon not paying Big Red haha 🙂

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Would a unlocked att iPhone 6s even work on Verizon?

Yes. It has the hardware compatibility and Verizon has been whitelisting the hardware for use on their network. Your best bet for success is to go to a corporate store and speak with a manager or head tech service person at the store.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I know I said I'm going with T-Mobile, but honestly I think the extra 15 dollars a month would be worth it for Verizon. The only thing that stinks is I would have to pay off the att phone myself, then sell it, then buy the 6 plus on Verizon.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
It should work on the T-Mobile network.

However... trust me when I say you will not like T-Mobile. They're so saturated with customers, which makes voice calling absolutely horrible. Call quality is worse than Sprint. Not to mention if you travel you'll never have a connection. We were with T-Mobile for almost 2 years and never had a connection while traveling. We're now with Straight Talk on the AT&T network... much better.

Wrong, left Verizon because their speeds dropped so bad. Live in a suburb outside Boston and Verizon was dropping to 3G and it was pathetic. Went to T-Mobile, best move I made. LTE everywhere including my family room in my basement. My speeds are over 50mb down and 40mb up. My VOLTE works fantastic, very clear and never dropped a call. Since switching over to T-Mobile my signal has gotten stronger and speeds faster. Best move I ever made. In the last year alone T-Mobile has almost doubled their LTE footprint. T-Mobile is investing in their Network. Band 12 is the best, long distance coverage with interior signal penetration. I have never been happier with a Mobile Carrier than I am with T-Mobile.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I know I said I'm going with T-Mobile, but honestly I think the extra 15 dollars a month would be worth it for Verizon. The only thing that stinks is I would have to pay off the att phone myself, then sell it, then buy the 6 plus on Verizon.

Verizon has a trade in deal going now. I'd see what they offer you.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...es/switch-and-save/#claimoffer&token=xFCWlmeO

[edit] iMore screws up Verizon links. Type Verizonwireless dot com and then add this:

/landingpages/switch-and-save/#claimoffer

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Good, because re-hashing old experiences has nothing to do with how the T-mobile Network is performing today ...

Neither does rehashing current experiences for that matter. Different carriers have different levels of service in different areas. For example, I switched from Sprint to Verizon because Sprint has terrible service over here. Verizon is great. T-Mobile is garbage.
All we can speak from is our own individual experience and offer advice based on that. For that reason you'll never hear me recommend Sprint to anyone. I'm sure there are areas where they're great.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Neither does rehashing current experiences for that matter.
Uh to a point ...
If a carrier had bad coverage, but now has great coverage in a particular area(s), who would know if all we did was listen to people who don't even have the service? ...
If you don't have said service then that pretty much means you don't know what you're talking about ...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Uh to a point ...
If a carrier had bad coverage, but now has great coverage in a particular area(s), who would know if all we did was listen to people who don't even have the service? ...
If you don't have said service then that pretty much means you don't know what you're talking about ...

You shouldn't only listen to people who don't even have the service. That's up to you. It doesn't mean that I have to like Sprint and recommend it to people. I will always tell people to shy away from them after my personal experiences.
Opinions are based off of experiences. It's just how it is.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
They would not need to trade in their iPhone 6S. The phone if unlocked, should work on T-Mobile or Verizon fine.

Right, but the person I quoted has an etf to pay on att. The Verizon deal may be worth it rather than just paying off the etf and bringing the phone (which may be locked if there is an etf to pay.)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Right, but the person I quoted has an etf to pay on att. The Verizon deal may be worth it rather than just paying off the etf and bringing the phone (which may be locked if there is an etf to pay.)

Right, but the thread title is: "Taking an AT&T Unlocked iPhone 6s to T-Mobile". The OP would be stuck with a new phone under contract with Verizon, unless Verizon will pay off the OP's ETF and let him keep the his original iPhone 6S?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Right, but the thread title is: "Taking an AT&T Unlocked iPhone 6s to T-Mobile". The OP would be stuck with a new phone under contract with Verizon, unless Verizon will pay off the OP's ETF and let him keep the his original iPhone 6S?

I think doogald was saying that the Verizon deal could be used to compensate OP for paying the ETF. Has Verizon ever offered an ETF payback deal? I waited for the longest time and never saw one. I ended up just using my trade in bonus to pay my Sprint ETF.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I do think T-Mobile would be ok for me. I don't ever travel (except to Las Vegas once a year), at work I'm always in a populated city or town (I work in costcos as a vendor) and T-Mobile is going to be about 20 bucks cheaper a month (when I add the phone plan and phone payment together). And I guess the good thing is I can always go to Verizon later on if I hate T-Mobile.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I do think T-Mobile would be ok for me. I don't ever travel (except to Las Vegas once a year), at work I'm always in a populated city or town (I work in costcos as a vendor) and T-Mobile is going to be about 20 bucks cheaper a month (when I add the phone plan and phone payment together). And I guess the good thing is I can always go to Verizon later on if I hate T-Mobile.

Best thing you can do is ask people who live near you what carrier they're with and how their service is. You might find that T-Mobile is great and love the service and the savings. I did that in September when deciding between Verizon and AT&T. The great thing is that I have no obligation to any carrier so, just as you said, I can switch at any time!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Verizon doesn't do contracts any more for new customers, and existing customers can get only one more 2 year contract upgrade if they wish (at least for now.) This deal would be for a monthly payoff for the iPhone, which they do spilt into 24 monthly payments, but you can pay the rest off at any time and then be free to move to another carrier.

I believe they only pay off the etf on this deal if you trade in the old phone and put a new device on a monthly payment plan, yes.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I think doogald was saying that the Verizon deal could be used to compensate OP for paying the ETF. Has Verizon ever offered an ETF payback deal? I waited for the longest time and never saw one. I ended up just using my trade in bonus to pay my Sprint ETF.

I think you are right, though I don't like the idea of having to trade in my perfectly good phone, if that is the case. The exact same dang phone!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro