Need Help With the Finer Details of the iPhone Upgrade Program

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
My carrier is Sprint, but my contract has expired - I'm still on the existing plan but on a month-to-month basis. Will the iPhone Upgrade Program allow me to do the following: "Buy/lease" an unlocked iPhone 6S, and activate it with Sprint on my existing monthly plan? Then, one month later I cancel the Sprint plan and open a new account with Cricket - to include porting over my old Sprint phone number to Cricket?
I'm also unsure what happens 12 months or so later when I want to exercise the upgrade to the iPhone7 and Apple sees that I'm on a Cricket plan: Will Apple require that I leave Cricket in order for Apple to activate my new 7S with one of the 4 main carriers?
It would be so much easier if the iPhone Upgrade Program simply allowed the buyer to hook up with the carrier of their choosing vs requiring that it be one of the Big 4. Why should Apple be concerned about the carrier I use since the phone is already factory unlocked when it's "leased" to me (and I legally own it on day 1)? Is it because the Big 4 carriers might be paying some type of fee back to Apple for their participation in this program?
I'm just trying to avoid stepping into some "gotcha" traps down the road with this enticing Upgrade Program. Thanks.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I'm also on Sprint and if you read the small print you will still have to pay the monthly lease fee and also have to turn in the device after a year as you will never own the device. Also the price they Advertise is for the 16GB model so you need to pay more for the larger storage device

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think switching after a month would be an option. It would be a separate plan and would cost you big time. Your best bet is to wait a month, then go with Cricket. As for the 7s, it depends on when you upgrade and which plan you choose with Cricket.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't think switching after a month would be an option. It would be a separate plan and would cost you big time. Your best bet is to wait a month, then go with Cricket. As for the 7s, it depends on when you upgrade and which plan you choose with Cricket.
Are you saying that I would have to sign up for a new Sprint plan as part of the Upgrade Program vs Apple simply activating the new iPhone on my existing Sprint plan?
Please explain how waiting a month ("your best bet"), then go with Cricket would work. I believe the Upgrade Program requires the phone be activated (initially) with one of the Big 4 carriers. So, what would waiting a month accomplish? I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just not understanding the purpose and steps involved in "waiting a month."

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore
I'm also on Sprint and if you read the small print you will still have to pay the monthly lease fee and also have to turn in the device after a year as you will never own the device. Also the price they Advertise is for the 16GB model so you need to pay more for the larger storage device
Thanks for the welcome kataran.
Is your reply in reference to Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program or Sprint's iPhone Forever plan? Under the Apple plan there is no requirement to upgrade every year. Also, upgrading the phone is always the buyer's option to exercise, and in so doing you do have to turn in the "old" phone. If you opt not to upgrade the phone, then you continue to make the payments per the 24-month contract and you then will own the unlocked phone. I'm aware that the lease price is based on the phone's memory size.
I think I need to clarify the main objective of my OP: I want to get a new iPhone via the Apple Upgrade Program and I want to use the phone with a Cricket service plan instead of using one of the Big 4 carriers. However, if Apple insists that I activate the phone with one of the Big 4 carriers, then is it somehow possible later on (1-2 months) to cancel the Big 4 plan and begin using the phone on a Cricket plan? My assumption is that I could activate the new iPhone onto my existing month-to-month Sprint plan, then cancel the Sprint plan soon afterward and sign up with Cricket using the same iPhone - all to be done transparently under the iPhone Upgrade Plan.
I asked these questions via a phone call with an Apple rep, and the answers were pitifully vague and contradictory, and also in contradiction to the written plan and FAQs. The rep later admitted that I knew more about the upgrade plan than she did...not very impressive. Guess I wasn't speaking with the right Genius.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Nothing in the iPhone Upgrade program requires you to keep service with one of the "Big 4" carriers. Only that you activate it device with one of them.

But as noted in your OP, when the next iPhone comes out (unless they change the program conditions by then), you won't be able to just activate it on Cricket and still be eligible.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Nothing in the iPhone Upgrade program requires you to keep service with one of the "Big 4" carriers. Only that you activate it device with one of them.
But as noted in your OP, when the next iPhone comes out (unless they change the program conditions by then), you won't be able to just activate it on Cricket and still be eligible.
Thanks SwitchBeach, I too noticed the "activate" wording in the Upgrade plan and wondered how that word would be interpreted by Apple; hoping it would give me the maneuvering room to do what I want.
I agree with your 2nd point. It could get interesting later on when it comes time to upgrade the phone if it's on Cricket.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Upon further review: "Wireless Service Activation. The Financed iPhone requires activation on a new or existing wireless service plan with an eligible carrier under the carrier’s terms, and may be subject to an additional fee charged by your carrier."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77