How can I fix a water damaged iPhone 6s?

I

iMore Question

How can i fix Water damaged iphone 6s

I had my iPhone 6s in my pockets of bathers in Thailand - went in beach and about 10 seconds later realised it was in my pocket!!! was on a boat for an hour so couldn't do much but took the cover off. Put a bag of rice for 24 hours with the sim card still in - no luck today. Tried hair dryer on cool from a distance to air out with sim card holder out - still wouldn't turn on. tired to charge for 15 minutes and still no luck. I have put back into a bag of rice in the hope it will turn on tomorrow. Anyone with any ideas/suggestions? I fear ive lost all my photos from my holiday as I haven't been able to do a backup since arriving :(

tjchodge

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: How can i fix Water damaged iphone 6s

I am having a similar problem. onto day 2 and still no luck from water damage. I have it in rice at the moment with the sim card holder out. any ideas?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I had my iPhone 6s in my pockets of bathers in Thailand - went in beach and about 10 seconds later realised it was in my pocket!!! was on a boat for an hour so couldn't do much but took the cover off. Put a bag of rice for 24 hours with the sim card still in - no luck today. Tried hair dryer on cool from a distance to air out with sim card holder out - still wouldn't turn on. tired to charge for 15 minutes and still no luck. I have put back into a bag of rice in the hope it will turn on tomorrow. Anyone with any ideas/suggestions? I fear ive lost all my photos from my holiday as I haven't been able to do a backup since arriving :(

I am having a similar problem. onto day 2 and still no luck from water damage. I have it in rice at the moment with the sim card holder out. any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. My first suggestion would be to quit trying to turn on your phone for a couple of days at least. You could do more harm than good to it, especially if there is any moisture still left inside. If you can keep it turned off till you get home, here is a program (iPhone Data Recovery) that can help you in recovering your data. It is available for Mac & PC.

Good luck in recovering everything.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry to hear that neither of your phones are working. If it's day two and your phones aren't powering back on there isn't much you can do. Water and electronics don't play well together and, even if they eventually power back on, the chance of them doing so without any lingering issues is very, very slim. All you can do at this point is wait and see what happens. You're going to have to let any water trapped inside the device evaporate.

OP, I sincerely hope yours powers back on at least long enough for you to backup your photos. Good luck!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

OP, have you checked iCloud to see if you have a back up? Unless you turned "auto back up" off, you should have one. Auto back up is set to on by default.

tjchodge

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

No! I only have photos from the first two days of my holiday. None from Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (day the phone got wet). So frustrating

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No! I only have photos from the first two days of my holiday. None from Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (day the phone got wet). So frustrating

OK, sorry. You must not have plugged it in while it was asleep during that time.

tjchodge

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

spoke to phone engineer contact in Thailand today (man at hotel took it into town). apparently there was still water inside and there was water stains or something on parts (basically phone is dead)....not sure what my next option is whilst overseas...and means ive lost my photos. currently in last ditch attempt at hairdrying the phone on cool

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

spoke to phone engineer contact in Thailand today (man at hotel took it into town). apparently there was still water inside and there was water stains or something on parts (basically phone is dead)....not sure what my next option is whilst overseas...and means ive lost my photos. currently in last ditch attempt at hairdrying the phone on cool

So sorry to hear what happened to your phone. Did you have Applecare on the phone? I would contact Apple, but DO NOT let them know that you're phone was already looked at. If they know that someone has opened the device in any way it could void any warranty that  would cover.

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm confused. Are "iMore Question" and "tjchodge" both in Thailand? That's coincidental. Or are they the same person posting under different names?

f22fc35de28100df3b620ce0e3a5f656.jpg

5ebf548552835cd925d57dffa685bc65.jpg

9c900dffc25acd9c6bcfb302b8a7ef45.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

iMore Question is not a person. It's a question feature of iMore where anyone can ask a question in anonymity. It's found here online.
5c660fdbc390fd3755cf7059c8c8eccc.863216

It's also Accessible in TapaTalk.

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Ahhhhh, ok. Haven't posted in a long time and didn't realize that was a feature. Thanks!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner