Apple leather case

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I bought the apple leather case today and when I took it out of the box I noticed the bottom is open. I often keep my phone in my pocket and was wondering if the bottom of my phone will get scratched with it being open. Anyone else with the apple leather case have any problems with this?

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I been using the Apple leather cases for a couple of years now and never had a problem with the bottom of my phone getting scratches. I think you are safe. Congrats on your new case

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm with dchandler. I've used the leather Apple case on my iPhone 5, 5s, 6 & now 6s...and have had no issues with damage do to the open end. Of course, YMMV especially if you're rough with the phone or carry it in a pocket with keys/change...but you ought to be cool. My favorite case ever!

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am using the leather case. I don't have any scratches on the bottom, but carrying it in your pocket does make it susceptible to getting lint in the lightning port.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple leather user here too. No issues with the bottom. But I don't keep keys in that pocket :) it you don't either I'm sure you'll be fine!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My only issue with the open bottom is with a drop. But that's my issue with the Apple cases in general. They're not the best for drop protection.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Have dropped mine a few times with no issues. Not the best, sure, but the bottom is open though not fully unprotected. My phone doesn't touch my desk when set down on the bottom edge. There's leather that wraps around the corners that protects it.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It's fine. The best leather case was in fact the Kate Spade one which had full protection. HOWEVER, it had one fatal flaw. It was impossible to connect the lightning charger when the case was on the phone! This is one of the reasons Apple decided it was easier to have an open bottom on this type of case.

If you want thin with full protection your best bet is a TPU. PowerJacket will get you fully enclosed protection that looks good with a rigid build but you practically need tools to take it off (just a strong grip actually) AND it will accumulate dust, some which is hard and abrasive that will grind into the finish with almost a pitting experience. This can be averted by weekly removal and cleaning but the case is difficult to install/remove that most leave it on until necessary to remove (i.e. sim card access) and they find the damage is done.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You really have nothing to worry about. I bought my leather case for my 6+ last February and there are no scratches or dents anywhere on the exposed area.

IMG_0021.JPG

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had zero problems with scratches on the bottom of the phone due to the open design of the case. I've used multiple silicone and leather cases ever since my iPhone 5.

Trooper27

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I even have a cheap Apple leather knock off from ebay and all is well for me with my iPhone 6s Plus. You should be good.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
It's fine. The best leather case was in fact the Kate Spade one which had full protection. HOWEVER, it had one fatal flaw. It was impossible to connect the lightning charger when the case was on the phone! This is one of the reasons Apple decided it was easier to have an open bottom on this type of case.

When Apple changed the bottom of their cases from the cutouts to the more "open" style we currently have IMO these became great cases and my goto ones for sure. Cutouts around the various ports potentially prevent cables and accessories from having enough space to connect and can be a huge problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR