Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Unhappy iPhone 6s not tracking flights climbed consistently

Since I got my 6s last Thursday, flights climbed has tracked accurately 4 days and inaccurately 3 days. Today, for example, I've climbed 8 flights already and it is only showing 2. These are flights of stairs to my office that have tracked correctly other days. I'm not particularly concerned about flights climbed, but I AM concerned that there may be a malfunction in the M processor.

BTW, I tried stopping and restarting the Health app as well as rebooting the phone. Didn't help. Also, the other Health app metrics appear to be tracking accurately and consistently.

Thoughts?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,493 Global Posts

Default Re: iPhone 6s not tracking flights climbed consistently

Are you carrying it the same way every time? For example in your hand, in your pocket, in a backpack/bag?
    tcuprof likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Thanks for the reply tlo07 and sorry I'm just now replying. I've been out of town. To answer your question, yes, my phone is always in my pants pocket. I notice again this morning it's not working right. First thing this morning I climb two flights to my office but it only credits one. I can't help but wonder if the lack of response suggests this is not at all a common problem. It's probably time to go see Apple.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,493 Global Posts

I wonder if maybe people don't really keep tabs on their phone to see how accurate it is. Most of the people I know really tracking their exercise have a dedicated device like a Fibit, etc.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by tlo07 View Post
    I wonder if maybe people don't really keep tabs on their phone to see how accurate it is. Most of the people I know really tracking their exercise have a dedicated device like a Fibit, etc.
    You may be right. I know all the exercise metrics I care about are tracked on my Apple Watch.

I don't use this feature on my 6S, but I can tell you that the flights climbed feature on the fitbit is not precise. It detects changes in barometric pressure. Not sure how the 6S does it. I know it's not comparing apples to apples, but wanted you to know that this stat is not reliable .... and not just on the 6S.
    iMore Intermediate

I wouldn't take the stats on there as very accurate. I am sure some people are having a good accurate experience, but I am not so sure. My wife says I walk so many miles because when I am sitting still I bounce my leg up and down uncontrollable. I just take it as a rough estimate.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

My cause for concern isn't accuracy, it's reasonable consistency. If I walk up the exact same two flights of stairs in my office building every day with my 6S in the same front right pocket, it seems reasonable to expect it to register about the same thing every time. And FWIW, my iphone 6 was consistent.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

All I can say is there's days I don't climb stairs I go running/ walking daily and there no stairs yet it registers 1-3,flights climbed.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Since I don't really care about stairs climbed, I've decided the best thing to do is take Flights Climbed off my Health app dashboard. That way I won't know if it's accurate or not. I'll just have to hope there's nothing wrong with the M processor (and I have no reason to believe there is).
    iMore Nanite

I agree. I have a daily walk with 750 feet elevation climb verified by altimeter. Each day, the app has shown about 65 to 72 flights climbed. As of October 1, it shows 22 to 34 flights climbed.