Who's IMPRESSED with 6s battery life?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Having had the iPhone 6s for a few days, and gotten over the fact that it probably had some charge boosting when I plugged it in to restore from an iCloud backup...the battery life isn't quite what I had recorded it to be in my first post, but it's still impressive in light of the negative expectations that I had knowing the battery size would be smaller in this model.

I'd be interested in knowing what some are doing aside from decreased screen brightness, turning off application auto updates & the like to get better battery life as well.

hagjohn

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I didn't think my 6s+ battery life was that great until I turned off all of the "background app refresh" for a bunch of apps. Now it's not too bad. At the moment I'm at 14hr usage and 61hr standby with 45% left.

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What impresses me is the energy usage efficiency. iOS seems to be, generally, well tuned. Although somewhat invalid to compare "apples to android" (see what I did there?) and solely comparing mAh v. SOT, standby, etc., my general thought is an iPhone 6s "roughly" equates to an android running lollipop with a battery 2x the capacity of the iPhone. This is anecdotal of course. Yes, all the nerds will come screaming out of the closet and say that there rooted, customer rom'd, 86-core, 16gb RAM android gets 100 hours SOT, etc. Whatever.

There will also be the different species of nerds that ***** about not being able to go 24 hours streaming 3 different movies 5 different streaming audio apps and record a squirrel in 4k for 8 straight hours while updating frikkin Facebook every time they take a breath. Again, whatever.

If something can get me through a business day until the evening I am good. After that, I have no phobias related to cables and chargers. Spiders are a different story :)

FWIW, I use a Note 5, a moto and an iPhone. Love them all - not a fanboi of any platform.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Lol. I also find it amusing when people complain about not being able to go more than a day on a charge. Really? They say, my old flip phone could go days or a more than a week. These are mini computers. Plan ahead and don't get left without a charging cable or battery pack. I have no problem charging my iPhone while I sleep.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I am more than happy with my battery usage time. I am a moderate user and get at least a day and a half out of charge. I usually just charge it overnight as a daily habit to be sure but never have had a problem.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Lol. I also find it amusing when people complain about not being able to go more than a day on a charge. Really? They say, my old flip phone could go days or a more than a week. These are mini computers. Plan ahead and don't get left without a charging cable or battery pack. I have no problem charging my iPhone while I sleep.

I don't want more than a day... I want a single day! Oh and I have lightning cables everywhere so I can trickle charge throughout the day.. but I look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about that at all. And the frustrating part for me is that Apple could do it right now if they wanted too -- but they care more about thinness and weight than a solid day of battery. Which sometimes makes me laugh because I see iPhones all over the place with big, fat gawdy and ugly cases on them that totally cover what Apple deems so precious. Again all of this is IMO so take it or leave it...

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm very happy. I'm coming from a Galaxy S6 edge and the difference is ridiculous. I used to charge my edge at minimum 2x a day... I can make it through almost 2 days without charge with my 6s. Works for me!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't complain even with the "Samsung" chip in my 6s Plus. When my old iPhone 5 was new, it got about 7 hours or so usage time. My 6s Plus gets 12 hours usage still after a month of heavy use. If you're not happy with the battery life of your 6s or 6s Plus, then you're most likely not doing something right.
57bfac1d9efb55445d045603ab6aff12.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to my last post, we have a favorite restaurant that happens to be in a place with terrible cell reception. With my Droid Maxx (again, it has a "48 hour battery"), when I went there, my phone would drop a good 10% to 20% an hour while we were there. I started turning mobile data off manually whenever we went there to prevent running out of battery.

I ate there last night for the first time since I bought the 6s, and my phone went from 82% to 78% in a bit over two hours.

So, Android stinks at standby, and iOS is better, but - yes, I'm still impressed with the battery life of the 6s. I'm also glad that I didn't get the 6s Plus, as I considered just for the battery life, because I haven't seen any sign (yet) that I would have needed it.

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from a droid turbo to the 6s and I am very happy with the battery life. I go 8+ hrs with Bluetooth on, connect to 2 devices and an audiobook playing and my battery is still at 87% when I leave work.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
It's been right at a month since I began this thread, and I can say that the battery life on my 6s has decreased somewhat from what I experienced the first few days of use. I'm not really all that disappointed, since I still have 45% or so battery charge left at the end of the work day now...but it's a far cry from the 70% I was getting then. I charge every night when I go to bed, but if my night goes any later on the weekends...I've got to be really careful not to run it down. Yeah...it could be a lot better. I feel like Apple took the easy way out with this model, by shaving capacity from an already smallish battery to make room for the haptic motor inside the case. I hope the "7" is a product of their learned lessons.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I've never understood the whole battery obsession. I mean as long as it gets me through the day I'm happy. Why does it need to have a 2 week battery life when I'm near the mains or a USB port for half of the day?

I don't think anybody that has a brain expects a modern day smartphone with a bright 5"-plus screen to have a battery that lasts for days...nor does anyone need one that will. I have 40% or so left at the end of the work day...which is ok, but not wonderful. If I go out for dinner and/or drinks with friends after work though...or go to a sporting event after work, I may be searching for a charger before the night is done...or I may have to limit myself to how much I can use my device for texts or calls if I want to have any charge left at all. That's not wonderful at all. Apple, as well as other smartphone manufacturers can do a lot better. And, IMO they need to.

I charge every night when I go to bed too...I just don't want to have to be searching for a charger way before that time.

HariKECE

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I am seriously surprised that you got 7 hrs usage with iPhone 5 when it was new..I am using iPhone 5s which is 3 months old, and I struggle to get 5hrs or 5hrs and 30 mins.. Can you tell me your settings? Location, Background app refresh,Low power mode ? In fact, I am planning to buy iPhone 6s Plus after 2 months...