New to iPhone-Couple of Issues

O_Othello

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey all.

New member coming from Blackberry. Gotta say, apart from a few great things I miss from Blackberry I'm really enjoying the phone. The platform is great but having a few issues... Bugs maybe.

Not getting any sound notifications from Facebook app despite having the setup customized correct. I do get the little red bubbles with the dedicated number to indicate said notifications but no sound and nothing on the notification pull down page. Have set up on phone, within the app and the account setting as well.

No notifications for new updates on the app store but when I open it up, usually once a day, updates will suddenly show up. Could it be in not giving it enough time to push through and just end up doing it manually?

Lastly, the auto brightness kind of has a mind of its own. Sometimes get stuck on a certain level and refuses to move from there. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Im on the latest official os.

Other than this, loving just about everything else. I'm currently using Fleksy keyboard as I have been struggling to get the hang of typing (coming from Blackberry classic keyboard). Anyone suggest a different keyboard to try? The main reason im using fleksy is the swipe back to delete but i think the stock keyboard might actually work the best for me as far as accuracy is concerned.

Anyway, thanks for reading and all your help in advance!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

1. Double check your Facebook notification settings in Settings > Notifications > Facebook and make sure you have sound notifications enabled (although in my example I have it disabled by choice). Also make sure that all alerts have assigned alert tones in Settings > Sounds
JPEG image-0C7D4479BE3A-1.jpeg

2. The App Store only checks for updates every once in a while to preserve battery life. If you open App Store and go to Updates, it will force a check though. If you don't have "use cellular date" enabled in Settings > iTunes & App Stores, updates won't download until you're connected to wifi. This is to preserve battery and data usage.

3. You can always slide up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the control center and then adjust brightness from there. If you have Auto-Brightness enabled in settings your phone will adjust the brightness automatically based on ambient light conditions.
JPEG image-B00BF6634D9B-1.jpeg

I hope this answers your questions. If you think of anything else let us know. We are all happy to help!

O_Othello

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it. Everything looks good in my Facebook settings from what I can see. Still doesn't seem to be doing it. No biggie though. I can live without Facebook notifications but wanted to known if anyone else was experiencing her issues.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it. Everything looks good in my Facebook settings from what I can see. Still doesn't seem to be doing it. No biggie though. I can live without Facebook notifications but wanted to known if anyone else was experiencing her issues.
No problem. You could always try to do a soft reset and see if that resolves your problem. To perform a soft reset, hold both the power button and home button down until you see the Apple boot logo. Uninstalling and then reinstalling your Facebook app might fix it as well.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
SwiftKey is the smartest keyboard with the best memory. Great features too. I use it exclusively.

Another vote for Swiftkey. I used it for years on Android and while it's not quite as good on my new iPhone (first one, 1.5 weeks old) i.e. I really miss things like long press on keys for number row/etc. it's pretty good overall. It seems to randomly set itself back to the default keyboard as well but other than that I can't complain.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I am a former BB10 user as well and also miss many things about that OS.

FB notifications have been flakey for me so not surprised that you've experienced some as well.

O_Othello

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for the kind welcomes! On the keyboard note, how do I get iOS to not autocorrect me again on a certain word I use often? Do you all use the autocorrect feature? Debating if I should just remove it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the kind welcomes! On the keyboard note, how do I get iOS to not autocorrect me again on a certain word I use often? Do you all use the autocorrect feature? Debating if I should just remove it.

Unfortunately the dictionary iOS uses for autocorrect cannot be programmed or changed. If you're looking for more control I suggest using a third party keyboard like Swype.

Swype by Nuance Communications
https://appsto.re/us/RfQN2.i

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the ones that use Swype. I use it and it is great. I love the fact that you can hit m and swipe down to space bar to get a ?.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for Swiftkey. I used it for years on Android and while it's not quite as good on my new iPhone (first one, 1.5 weeks old) i.e. I really miss things like long press on keys for number row/etc. it's pretty good overall. It seems to randomly set itself back to the default keyboard as well but other than that I can't complain.

The Keyboard was probably thing the thing I missed the most coming to the iPhone. Samsung's keyboard has a dedicated number row, so entering in Strong Passwords was super easy. It's a lot less easy when you have to jump between multiple keyboard tabs on the iPhone to get at numbers and other characters. You get used to it after a while, but I think I'm still adjusting almost a year later, Lol.

I haven't bothered with a 3rd party keyboard. There are too many issues with them and I don't want to expose myself to the potential of having to deal with them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Try deleting the stock keyboard. I did and have no problems now. It still reverts for passwords.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro