Update or not question

amyf27

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I just got the 6S last night. It has 9.0.1 on it and I am trying to avoid 9.0.2 for fear I'll have a repeat issue that I had with the 6Plus I just returned. On that one after updating to 9.0.2 it started screen freezing, often a gray bar covered texting so I couldn't see what I wrote l, and finally four times yesterday morning screen turned red and it rebooted on its own for no reason.

What's everyone else think? I've been told by Verizon and by Apple that those were common issues with the update. I also read online many people had those issues after updating.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a complaint or two about the freezing, but the vast majority of phones don't have that issue. The gray bar is the audio text feature. It's activicated by pressing the mic on the right side. It showing up for no reason is a bug. Just swipe it out of multitasking. That works. It's what I did, and it didn't come back. Did you set your phone up as new, or from a back up? A back up may contain the bug that caused your problems. It's your call! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got the 6S last night. It has 9.0.1 on it and I am trying to avoid 9.0.2 for fear I'll have a repeat issue that I had with the 6Plus I just returned. On that one after updating to 9.0.2 it started screen freezing, often a gray bar covered texting so I couldn't see what I wrote l, and finally four times yesterday morning screen turned red and it rebooted on its own for no reason.

What's everyone else think? I've been told by Verizon and by Apple that those were common issues with the update. I also read online many people had those issues after updating.

It's "your" device. If you don't want to update, then don't. I've yet to experience the problems you've mentioned, but that's Just Me, D. Anyway, do what you think is in your best interest regarding this matter.

amyf27

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Verizon set it up with my stuff from the original phone so I'd say a backup. It's been fine with only the occasional gray bar but how do you get it out of multitasking? I just know to double hit button and it brings up recent Windows and I swipe those all out. It eventually comes back

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I would update to 9.0.2 but that's me. You can stay at 9.0.1 just fine if you want and wait for the next iOS update. Not really a big deal or dilemma IMO...