Stock Keyboard or 3rd Party Keyboard

lkveggie

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I love and only use SwiftKey! I like that I can use it one handed and quickly swipe a word. Plus it's so much better at predicting and auto correcting my words.

anon(5841099)

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I really like most things about the stock keyboard. But I switched from Windows Phone, and believe it or not, the keyboard there is better. And I'm really missing some things, like having both a language switching button AND a button for direct access to emojis (or the way it is in Windows 10 Mobile, swiping across the spacebar to change language). Or the fact that swiping (WordFlow in Microsoft terms) is not integrated in the stock keyboard.

I use multiple languages and after using emojis it happens way too often that I suddenly have the wrong language keyboard in front of me :p. I tried using SwiftKey, but as other have mentioned, 3rd party keyboard integration still leaves a lot to be desired. So for now I'm putting up with the annoyances I do encounter with the stock keyboard.

kimdushinski

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to get punctuation (period, comma, question mark and exclamation point) on the same screen as the letters? I just moved from Android and so far this stock keyboard is driving me crazy because of this.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get punctuation (period, comma, question mark and exclamation point) on the same screen as the letters? I just moved from Android and so far this stock keyboard is driving me crazy because of this.

Yes. Simply rotate your screen to landscape mode.

anon(5841099)

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Same here. It's one of those really annoying things on an otherwise fine keyboard.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It appears all those early problems with SwiftKey and 3rd party keyboards are mostly gone. I haven't had the keyboard vanish or freeze up in months. I'm really loving SwiftKey now. It's almost time to give up the beautiful Holiday keyboard.
ec8cb772eb97ed9e1d74ebe1924a9fa0.613841

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Swiftkey, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn off the clicking sound when you type. I have it disabled in Sound, but that seems to only work for the default keyboard. Is there another setting that I'm missing?

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Swiftkey, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn off the clicking sound when you type. I have it disabled in Sound, but that seems to only work for the default keyboard. Is there another setting that I'm missing?

9647c603beb502581ce1e3b0b70a20cf.jpg

Open SwiftKey settings...

23f3f9f24e35d65437cf1f77880f2617.jpg

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Ah, thank you!

I had forgot that I shoved the app's icon in my Utilities folder... I didn't realize that's where the settings were. :)

heyitsmaya

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Stock and Go Keyboard. I really enjoy the latter except sometimes it lags and types/swipes words I don't want it to delaying my responses. However, when using Go Keyboard, my phone automatically changes to stock when I have to input my password anywhere. No complaints here. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Stock and Go Keyboard. I really enjoy the latter except sometimes it lags and types/swipes words I don't want it to delaying my responses. However, when using Go Keyboard, my phone automatically changes to stock when I have to input my password anywhere. No complaints here. :)

All 3rd party keyboards switch to stock for passwords and such. Apple did that for security reasons. I deleted my stock keyboard. I use SwiftKey as my default. Still the passwords though.

heyitsmaya

May 11, 2015
Visit site
All 3rd party keyboards switch to stock for passwords and such. Apple did that for security reasons. I deleted my stock keyboard. I use SwiftKey as my default. Still the passwords though.

wow really? I'm guessing it must have been the latest update then, because before I had to manually change it to the stock. Thanks for the heads up! Silly question, but how did you get rid of the stock keyboard?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
wow really? I'm guessing it must have been the latest update then, because before I had to manually change it to the stock. Thanks for the heads up! Silly question, but how did you get rid of the stock keyboard?
Delete it in settlngs like you would a 3rd party keyboard. Go to Settings >General >Keyboard> Keyboards > edit> Tap red - dot. I also deleted the stock emoji keyboard. SwiftKey has it's own.