Why isn't my iPhone 6s playing music in my car?

I

iMore Question

iPhone 6s not playing music in my car

So this week I went out and excitedly purchased my iPhone 6s. I previously had the 5s.

Now I have Spotify premium and with my 5s I could hook my music into my 2011 Nissan Sentra using a usb hookup directly made for iPods. Spotify worked great and I loved being able to switch through songs on my steering wheel. (Trust me I wish I had Bluetooth though)

Fast forward to last night, went out to buy groceries and plugged my phone on to try Spotify out. The screen on my radio said no song was playing despite me clicking play on Spotify and trying it out.

I figured Apple might be trying to push Apple Music for the 6s so I downloaded that and ran into the same issue. I figured it's a long shot but would anyone know a fix for this (other than using a stereo aux cord). Also worth noting is that my friend has an iPhone 6 and it played just fine in my car with the hookup.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6s not playing music in my car

Check the basics:

1. Go to Settings - Music and make sure that the toggle next to "Use Cellular Data" is enabled.
2. Reboot your iPhone and then try again.

iphone6shelp

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue.. Still can't figure it out I just got the iPhone 6s Plus.. Had no issues with my iPhone 6 but now I can't play from Spotify or my music.. Says no songs on screen it's so frustrating!!' :/

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed the iOS 9.1 update yet? I was having a car/music problem (different from what you are describing) but it seems to be better since I installed the 9.1 update yesterday.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

My Pioneer stereo is also saying "iPod Not Supported" when I plug in my 6s where the 6 used to work without issues. Looks like we got Apple'd on this one...

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I wanted to give an update that the 9.1 update has fixed my stereo issues. I can play audio fine in my car now so if anyone else is having this issue, I recommend updating to the latest OS version

jamesedward318

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

One issue I was encountering was when my Bluetooth was on my music wouldn't play. I had to cut off my Bluetooth

BudPesch

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
"No song" - can't play Pandora or Amazon Music or other online service...

I had this exact problem with my Iphone 5s after I removed all of the U2 songs iTunes downloaded to my phone - they were the only songs I stored on the phone - and having no songs apparently is the problem.

The phone apparently needs at least 1 song stored on it, or it confuses the car system. I added 1 free song from iTunes and I can again play Pandora through the car system with all the normal functionality.

Too bad it took 2 weeks of searching, booting, rebooting and struggling to figure this out.

This worked on 2012 Honda Accord with my iPhone 5s connected via USB connection. IOS 9.3.2

FINALLY all is back to normal.

And I get it - it's not an iPhone 6, but after struggling for so long and finding no help anywhere, maybe this will work on iPhone 6 as well - the issue sounds similar.

KevinFra

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Bud - Thanks for posting this - exactly what it was! I had to add at least 1 song to my iPhone. I was so hellbent on the idea that Apple had taken this away from me (happened right after my upgrade to their latest ios) but all it was is that before or during the upgrade either I deleted my songs or the upgrade did. Now everything back to normal - ROCK ON!!

motherlaura

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly the fix for our problem!!! Thanks!

I had this exact problem with my Iphone 5s after I removed all of the U2 songs iTunes downloaded to my phone - they were the only songs I stored on the phone - and having no songs apparently is the problem.

The phone apparently needs at least 1 song stored on it, or it confuses the car system. I added 1 free song from iTunes and I can again play Pandora through the car system with all the normal functionality.

Too bad it took 2 weeks of searching, booting, rebooting and struggling to figure this out.

This worked on 2012 Honda Accord with my iPhone 5s connected via USB connection. IOS 9.3.2

And I get it - it's not an iPhone 6, but after struggling for so long and finding no help anywhere, maybe this will work on iPhone 6 as well - the issue sounds similar.

HCervantes1

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

I never had that problem before (using iPhone 6 and a Nissan Altima). However I just upgraded mi iPhone to IOS 10 and now I can't play my music through the iPod /USB connector. Seems to be missing "Dock connector" from the available options at iTunes when connecting to my car. . So for now I can only play using Bluetooth.

Anyone else facing the same issue? It seem Apple screwed it up again. Any suggestions /solutions?

HCervantes1

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

UPDATE! After posting above I decided to give it a last try after restarting my iPhone. Voala! It worked. Now iTunes is playing through my car stereo.via ipad/USB port.

I really didn't change anything. So my recommendation if this happens to you immediately after upgrading your iPhone to iOS, shut it off and then on again before connecting to your car. Hope this helps.

Karla Kiroga

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site

Thank you so much for posting this! I had deleted my iPhone "music" app and when I would play Spotify through USB it would give me that "no songs" error on my scion tc.. I tried everything, hard resets.. Uninstalling / reinstalling Spotify.. Changing USB cords.. and nothing worked! Till I came across your post and re installed the music app again tried Spotify and finally I can listen to my playlists! From one iPhone user to another Thank you so much for fixing this problem! 😊

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2