No LTE or HD voice on my T-Mobile 6s ????,,, both worked GREAT on my Note 4

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
With my Note 4 I always had LTE and HD voice icons (HD when also speaking to someone on T-Mobile as well) and was always at full bars/dots.

With my new 6s I almost never get LTE, no HD voice icon when talking with someone else also on T-Mobile and I'm usually at 1 or 2 bars/dots,,, what's up with this ????

And the call quality on my 6s is also not as consistently good as it was with my Note 4.

The 6s is supposed to have better LTE than any other phone out in the wild right now.

I went to my local T-Mo store and they had no answer except to say call CS,,, I called CS and they really had no answers either.

I asked the store and CS if it might be a bad sim or a bad phone and no one seems to have a clue.

TM CS wanted to transfer my call to Apple Customer support, and I've been down that road before with my iPads and its ALWAYS been a nightmare with no resolution EVER !!!!!

So before I try to get a replacement 128gb Space Gray 6s that's on back order for 4 to 6 weeks I was told, does anyone have any ideas for a fix ?

Ohhh,,, and here's the best part of getting a 128gb back ordered 6s,,, I would have to turn in my current 6s and be given a who knows what "loaner phone" while I wait for a month or more for my replacement 6s,,,,, won't that be fun.

And I'm not slamming T-Mobile at all, they've always been great to me and my service and past phone signal strength has always been amazing here in Las Vegas.

And yes, I've power cycled my 6s, switched LTE and WiFi on and off,, and I also have the in home LTE booster kit that T-Mo was kind enough to give me at no cost, is there a trick I'm missing ?

And are there others on this forum on online having the same LTE, low bars/dots and no HD calling issues I'm having ?

Very open to suggestions, thanks much in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you have this problem everywhere, or just in your "home" area?

More so at home and work, when driving around town I'll get LTE on occasion and more bars/dots but never the HD calling icon.

Didn't have these issues with the Note 4 so I know its not my signal strength at home, work or in the wild.

I'm kinda liking my 6s a lot and don't want to switch back to perhaps a Note 5, although the Note 5 is looking tempting and I've only got one day left in my return window but then I'll lose one of my T-Mobile JUMPS if I get the Note 5.

Very frustrating situation at the moment.

Cheers
Davyo

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Few things come to mind (I am a Tmo customer too with a 6s+), is it possible the LTE reception bars are a more accurate representation of the signal strength you have always received via a capable cell phone? I know Apple changed the algorithm back in the 4s days (I believe) to more accurately represent signal strength, admitting that the bars being shown is/was often better than the reception actually is/was. I have never seen an "HD Voice" icon on an iPhone -- is that a graphic the iPhone can even display? I do get much clearer sounding phone calls with my daughter who is also on Tmo with a 6s and there is no "HD Voice" icon that I am aware of. Anyway, just some thoughts...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Is no HD icon on iPhone ... I would go under cellular in settings make sure you have voice and data lte all that's stuff turned on ..
What OS are you on ?
Have you tried 9.1 ?
Are you dropping calls or getting slow data ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

As far as the HD icon, I was so used to seeing it on my Note 4, perhaps it's not an icon the iPhone displays and just an Android thing.

I was checking my LTE thing all day, at work, home and driving around town,,, at home and work the LTE was never on, while driving around town it was 50/50 with the LTE icon.

To answer some other questions,,,,, no dropped calls and for the most part the call quality has been good.
With my Note 4 the call quality was better but I would have dropped calls on occasion.

The OS I'm on is 9.0.2.

I guess the bottom line is the iPhone 6s series and the Galaxy Note series both have their pros and cons, I just have to decide which pros and cons I want to live with.

So I guess my picks are sticking with my current 6s or getting the 6s Plus or getting a Note 5,,,, right now my thoughts are more towards the 6s Plus, mostly for the battery life of the Plus.

Anyhow, I gota figure it all out by tomorrow night as that's my last day of a return/exchange window with T-Mobile.

It's quite frustrating being such a phone junkie, especially when ya love both Android and iOS.

Cheers
Davyo

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

As far as the HD icon, I was so used to seeing it on my Note 4, perhaps it's not an icon the iPhone displays and just an Android thing.

I was checking my LTE thing all day, at work, home and driving around town,,, at home and work the LTE was never on, while driving around town it was 50/50 with the LTE icon.

To answer some other questions,,,,, no dropped calls and for the most part the call quality has been good.
With my Note 4 the call quality was better but I would have dropped calls on occasion.

The OS I'm on is 9.0.2.

I guess the bottom line is the iPhone 6s series and the Galaxy Note series both have their pros and cons, I just have to decide which pros and cons I want to live with.

So I guess my picks are sticking with my current 6s or getting the 6s Plus or getting a Note 5,,,, right now my thoughts are more towards the 6s Plus, mostly for the battery life of the Plus.

Anyhow, I gota figure it all out by tomorrow night as that's my last day of a return/exchange window with T-Mobile.

It's quite frustrating being such a phone junkie, especially when ya love both Android and iOS.

Cheers
Davyo

Good luck with your decision...keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
When I worked at T-Mo, we tested a few Samsung phones against iPhones and noticed that the 'sung phones REALLY over exaggerated signal quality. On an S6 it would show full bars but only 2 "dots" on an iPhone 6. When we speed tested them, the iPhone pulled about 3Mbps faster d/l speeds than the S6. We ran that test a few times with generally the same resorts. I'm not sure if it's how Android figures out signal strength, or a Samsung algorithm but whatever!

And yes, they do show HD voice on a few Android phones. iPhone doesn't.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Lower signal in general on my 6s compared to my Note 5 but the real kicker is that LTE keeps dropping out on my iPhone when my Note doesn't. Whether or not the Note 5 accurately measures signal, not sure but it does keep LTE going.

johnmed3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
With my Note 4 I always had LTE and HD voice icons (HD when also speaking to someone on T-Mobile as well) and was always at full bars/dots.

With my new 6s I almost never get LTE, no HD voice icon when talking with someone else also on T-Mobile and I'm usually at 1 or 2 bars/dots,,, what's up with this ????

And the call quality on my 6s is also not as consistently good as it was with my Note 4.

The 6s is supposed to have better LTE than any other phone out in the wild right now.

I went to my local T-Mo store and they had no answer except to say call CS,,, I called CS and they really had no answers either.

I asked the store and CS if it might be a bad sim or a bad phone and no one seems to have a clue.

TM CS wanted to transfer my call to Apple Customer support, and I've been down that road before with my iPads and its ALWAYS been a nightmare with no resolution EVER !!!!!

So before I try to get a replacement 128gb Space Gray 6s that's on back order for 4 to 6 weeks I was told, does anyone have any ideas for a fix ?

Ohhh,,, and here's the best part of getting a 128gb back ordered 6s,,, I would have to turn in my current 6s and be given a who knows what "loaner phone" while I wait for a month or more for my replacement 6s,,,,, won't that be fun.

And I'm not slamming T-Mobile at all, they've always been great to me and my service and past phone signal strength has always been amazing here in Las Vegas.

And yes, I've power cycled my 6s, switched LTE and WiFi on and off,, and I also have the in home LTE booster kit that T-Mo was kind enough to give me at no cost, is there a trick I'm missing ?

And are there others on this forum on online having the same LTE, low bars/dots and no HD calling issues I'm having ?

Very open to suggestions, thanks much in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

Fix for this: Go to settings, general, reset > Rest network settings.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711