Quick Question about replacement phones

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My wife's new iPhone 6S is randomly shutting down. Tried doing a reset (erasing all content and starting new) and all that but still having issues. I checked with scheduling a reservation with the local Apple Genius Bar but they are backed up till Tuesday. Do you think we can just show up at the store tomorrow (Saturday) and get a replacement? Or do we HAVE to have a Genius Bar appointment? Thanks

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Apple Stores are pretty accommodating when you show up without an appointment. I think it's worth a shot even in all the iPhone mayhem.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife's new iPhone 6S is randomly shutting down. Tried doing a reset (erasing all content and starting new) and all that but still having issues. I checked with scheduling a reservation with the local Apple Genius Bar but they are backed up till Tuesday. Do you think we can just show up at the store tomorrow (Saturday) and get a replacement? Or do we HAVE to have a Genius Bar appointment? Thanks

Get there right before opening and try to get a walk in appointment. If you get there before opening you have the best chance of being seen in a reasonable time frame. They'll put you on the list, and work you in quickly.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
If you bought the iPhone at the Apple Store. Then go when ever you are free. And ask a sale person you want to exchange your iPhone. You are still in the 30 days return/exchange period. I wouldn't do the Genius Bar thing after that period expired. But that only if you bought it at the Apple Store.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The 30 days return policy does not apply here since it seems to be a defective unit which is covered under the 1 (or 2) year(s) of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
IF you bought at the apple store, you may be able to exchange for a new unit. If not, I would wager it will be a warranty unit, which will still be new, but without packaging.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the traffic that specific Apple store sees. The closest Apple store to me is booked 2 weeks in advance, but another one that's a bit farther is never booked except within 1-2 days from "current day"

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The 30 days return policy does not apply here since it seems to be a defective unit which is covered under the 1 (or 2) year(s) of warranty.

If it defective and you are still under the 30 days exchange/ return why even bother going for a warranty exchange when, you can get a brand new one by exchange it at the sale floor.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
If it defective and you are still under the 30 days exchange/ return why even bother going for a warranty exchange when, you can get a brand new one by exchange it at the sale floor.

Because exchange/return within 30 days is if you either do not like the device (return) or you want one with more storage or a bigger one, like the Plus (exchange). Otherwise, the warranty applies automatically since it is a defective unit.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Because exchange/return within 30 days is if you either do not like the device (return) or you want one with more storage or a bigger one, like the Plus (exchange). Otherwise, the warranty applies automatically since it is a defective unit.

Actually, no.

The initial return period (whether it is 14 or 30 days) will cover returns for any reason. And as noted above, it's the way to be sure to get a brand new device.

After the initial return period, the user can obviously use the 1 year warranty.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Actually, no.

The initial return period (whether it is 14 or 30 days) will cover returns for any reason. And as noted above, it's the way to be sure to get a brand new device.

After the initial return period, the user can obviously use the 1 year warranty.

They will accept them ans hand out a new device, but it will still pass under warranty because it is defective.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
They will accept them ans hand out a new device, but it will still pass under warranty because it is defective.

Not exactly. Let's compare it to a household item that you buy at a store:

Let's say it has a manufacturer limited warranty of 1 year from purchase date.

1. You buy it, you have x amount of days to return it to said store, per store return policy.
2. The item is defective, so, in that respect you take it back within the store's policy.
3. They offer to give you the money back, store credit, or swap out the defective item with a non-defective product that is the same as your product.
4. When they take your defective product, they go through warranty with the manufacturer.

So, as long as it is within the return period, they should not make you go through warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Not exactly. Let's compare it to a household item that you buy at a store:

Let's say it has a manufacturer limited warranty of 1 year from purchase date.

1. You buy it, you have x amount of days to return it to said store, per store return policy.
2. The item is defective, so, in that respect you take it back within the store's policy.
3. They offer to give you the money back, store credit, or swap out the defective item with a non-defective product that is the same as your product.
4. When they take your defective product, they go through warranty with the manufacturer.

So, as long as it is within the return period, they should not make you go through warranty.

But they still pass it under warranty on their side. Since it is defective, they will not put it back in the shelves but send it for repairs, instead.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
But they still pass it under warranty on their side. Since it is defective, they will not put it back in the shelves but send it for repairs, instead.

I assumed that was a given, yes. The highlight of the argument was that OP can get a BRAND NEW phone versus going by themselves through warranty and getting a warranty "new" phone.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I assumed that was a given, yes. The highlight of the argument was that OP can get a BRAND NEW phone versus going by themselves through warranty and getting a warranty "new" phone.

It depends if they have to give a warranty "new" phone because of the defect or not.
If the store has to pass it under warranty because of that, odds are that, within the 30 days or not, OP will have a warranty "new"
phone.
I mean, they have an inventory and procedures to respect.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It depends if they have to give a warranty "new" phone because of the defect or not.
If the store has to pass it under warranty because of that, odds are that, within the 30 days or not, OP will have a warranty "new"
phone.
I mean, they have an inventory and procedures to respect.

Not exactly. Take it out of the context that Apple also gives warranty phones. By nature when you have a defective product covered within the policy it does not intersect with the warranty from the same product.

For example:

Verizon gives me 14 days to return my phone if I am unhappy or it is defective. I have done this with my old BlackBerry Q10.

The phone I first got was defective, so I went and they took that one, and gave me a brand new one. Literally peeled off the wrapper to the box together and then activated my new one.

The return policy is completely disassociated with the manufacturer warranty.

Also, if the store has to pass your defective phone under warranty, that is Apple's liability AFTER they go through a refund/exchange process with you so long that you are within the return policy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711